CL 215 by Roland Laborie

Found a video on youtube.

Same as the Crusader, which I do like a great deal despite the awful sound, it’s the type of thing that you haven’t been yearning for but would certainly consider a punt on because it looks fun.

If it were half the price or less. I’ll bet the sales would be many multiple times more at those levels.

1 Like

Nobody ever told me French Canadairs were remotorized with Rotax engines !
(Listen to take-off sound).
Completely immersion killing

:angry:

3 Likes

I agree. Sound like a angry lawnmower mixed with some default MSFS sounds

2 Likes

Well, looks like the sound is not really one of the features that can help defend that excessively self-confident price tag.

If it were a 15,- plane, I’d simply swap it for the sound of the Waco or the Stearman, but so it’s just another nail in the coffin.

Was really looking forward to a CL-215, but I guess I will pass 
 :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Which is presumably how fireworks, and a water cannon were created.

But don’t you see it’s always Asobo’s fault, even though they’ve had a (no longer beta) effects editor for ages

4 Likes

That is a shame, I would have picked that up. Oh well!

It is a pass for me, although I was really looking forward to any CL airplane. The sound, interior graphics (FSX looking gauges, bland flat panel texture, etc.) and no water landing effect. The water landing sound is from ground landing, although even freeware mods show that SDK is perfectly capable of having water landing sounds
 too many cut corners for the price.

4 Likes

I really hope someone does this plane justice in the future. A CL-415 would be awesome as well, but I am not going to be picky. One of these done to the fidelity of PMDG or Flying Iron would be amazing.

Their IS water landing effect

This plane is giant and oversized cockpit in VR. Anyone know how we can scale it down
? The switches are the size of my fist,

1 Like

Hi,
I had high hopes for a Canadair, but after seeing the video above, I will pass.

And here we go again * sigh *
 Here’s yet another quick, cut cornered, cash grab lazily ported FSX era payware that barely evolved past a few PBR reflective textures slapped here and there in the VC
and model for good “this is next-gen folks!” measure
 a cynical attempt at benefiting from the lack of same type of aircrafts in the marketplace with the least possible effort and no investment nor passion in it. It’s only thanks to MSFS rendering engine that it manages to still look better than that horrendous looking P3D version.

I understand graphics are not everything but there’s a limit! either you can devote and invest some dev time to it and manages to learn new skills and to up your game as a creator, or you simply can’t ask for such a price as before!

Take Just Flight for example, their great PA28 was good looking and well modeled but still left a lot to be desired in terms of texturing with too much low res textures in the VC and on the aircraft. Now look at their upcoming 146 Professional and how much better the VC look. No more pixelated overstretched textures almost everywhere.

They upped their game! They’re trying to learn new skills, new standards. Cause they know MSFS is rendering tech from 2020, not from 2000 anymore!

And I’m not even talking about the “angry lawnmower” ( :joy:) sounds that someone here talked about. If you read the reviews on Simarket, you’ll see that it is apparently full of bugs like RPM not even matching that screams a barely tested product.

Unless you’re absolutely dying for a Canadair for odd sentimental reasons or something, not worth the price. I hope people don’t buy this kind of stuff rather than things made with passion like the new Kodiak. At some point, we need to reward passion, skill and devotion with our wallet so that the competition is forced to up their game.

4 Likes

This is what a customer reviews at the simmarket website, I’ll quote it here before they delete it:

Oh boy. Where to start.

The good:

• It looks like a CL-215. The outside model is decently detailed and accurate as far as my eye from working around these aircraft can see
  • It flies like it has some momentum in control, as it should

The bad

• The sounds! Oh wow. The sounds are maybe not THE worst I’ve heard in MSFS but certainly in the bottom 2%. It sounds like two sickly Rotax engines recorded through a phone and then compressed.
  • Scrolling magnetos automatically starts the engines without hitting the starter
  • Flap indicator does not work
  • Plane instantly starts rolling on the ground and has no momentum
  • Prop RPM sits at around 4500 (!!!) at full power
  • Prop controls do nothing in the upper range of power and only allow you to decrease RPM to realistic numbers (under 3000) below about 1/3 power
  • Drag and overall performance inflight is disappointing. Full flaps + idle gives approximately a 300-500 fpm descent on approach.
  • Very, very little friction when landing on water. It’s difficult to get it below 40 knots. The slowest I could get it on the water with full flap and engines at idle was around 20-25 knots
  • but once you DO get it slow, it porpoises in and out of the water, sometimes up to about 20 feet before slamming back down
  • Wake effects are random and sporadic, but mostly not there
  • At rest the plane sits almost out of the water. The bottom 2 feet of the keel is in whereas the tip floats are up in space
  • Mixture controls do not cutoff the engine
  • Did I mention the sounds? Man

I didn’t test out any of the nav or firefighting equipment as I just don’t see myself flying this thing. I’ve flown this exactly once and unless it gets a major patch, it won’t even be kept in my Community folder.

I’d get a refund if I could. But take my sacrifice as your warning. This plane needs some SERIOUS work to be made viable, especially at this price.

Funny, above this there is that one 5 star review, as always, from that “David” guy

8 Likes

■■■ is this ? have you even tested the plane before releasing it ? look at the scale on the cockpit in vr its ridiculous

i got it don’t buy radial engines don’t sound like turbo lawn mowers im posting a video on my channel tomorrow at gopensgo291 on YouTube

Another first-look flight/mini-review:

Disappointing - these water bombers were my top entry in the “what aircraft would you like to see added” wishlist thread since they used to be built locally and I think are a notable entry in Canadian aviation history. And they’re bloody cool. Let’s hope that Big Radials (since they’re making a Grumman Goose) or someone like them takes it on in the future.

1 Like

Here is my First Impression Video in german language. This aircraft has potential. The flaws at the moment are significant tough.
If you wanna stop on water and land with full flaps, just pull the RPM lever all the way back.

Kind Regards
JayDee

There is another scathing SimMarket review. This one isn’t looking good, I am afraid. Hard pass for me, at the very least until they fix all those issues. Amazing how they arrived at this price tag considering the shortcomings.

5 Likes