"CLiP license device ID does not match the device ID in the bound device license"

I know there is a similar thread regarding this and the solution is not working for me. I replaced my mobo and processor and now when I launch the game I get the above error.

I have removed and dissociated all old devices from my Microsoft account and store account. After doing so uninstalled and reinstalled via Xbox app multiple times trying to clear the license issue.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the xbox app and msstore app after removing all devices, then installing again from the Xbox app. The only associated device in the store and msapp is the new mobo install pc which includes a brand new windows 11 install. I have logged in and out of the store / xbox, ms account multiple times after old devices have been removed and reinstalled msfs again. Still get the error and the game is bricked.

I even deleted the drive volume of where the bricked install resides and added the drive back which wipes out the undeleteable msfs files after an uninstall, then logged back into xbox / msstore and reninstalled, still same problem

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Topic moved from General Discusion.

This is due to an issue with the MS Store / XBox app not “seeing” your PC.

Start by resetting the Windows store:
Close the Microsoft Store app if currently open.
Press the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog.
Type WSReset.exe into Run, and click/tap on OK.
A command prompt will now open without any message. After about 30 seconds, the command prompt will automatically close, and the Microsoft Store app will open.
After that try to log in again.

If that does not work:
Update Windows

Ultimately, you may have to reset Windows since this issue arose from a hardware change:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/recovery-options-in-windows-31ce2444-7de3-818c-d626-e3b5a3024da5

If you have any more issues, feel free to submit a support request with us:
Submit a request – Microsoft Flight Simulator Support (zendesk.com)

1 Like

Thank you for the response and help. At about 2:00am I finally had success. Fortunately I didn’t have to reset Windows. I don’t know what it specifically was, but somewhere in the midst of all the reinstalls and resets it worked.

2 Likes

Had the same error. I checked my Microsoft account settings and it stated I needed to login back into my Microssoft Acct. Did that and MSFS2020 works again.

Just an FYI. I had the same problem and on my PC I had to start the Xbox application and sign in with my ID.

1 Like

I am having this same issue BUT the thing was - I could play the game after I changed the motherboard & CPU last month.

Today I had reformatted my PC due to an unrelated issue, and now with a fresh install, I’m facing this problem. So having done all the reset and what not, what can I do now?

EDIT: Now I’ve been through several support teams, none of them have been able to solve the issue. They’re asking me to reset the PC, which is nonsense because I already DID reset the PC before this issue is occurring. So am I just going to have to let my money burn because I can’t play MSFS which I’d paid for several times (first bought the standard, then upgraded to premium - which costs a chunk of change!)?

MS reports UPDATE (2024-06-11 AT 2005 UTC) : Normal service is now restored, but as of 2300 UTC my MSFS will not load and the presented error is: CLiP license device id does not match the device ID in the bound device license

I tried restarting, uninstalling/re-installing, and restarting the Windows store: none restored MSFS

Hi @OldArmy1997
I have not had this issue myself but did notice that there was an Update to the Xbox Identity Provider today on my PC. You might try opening the windows store, clicking on the Library icon, then click on Get Updates, and update any apps that have an update available.

Thank you for the additional tip: updating worked!
However, now there’s a new problem: MSFS loads, then asks “Please insert the Microsoft Flight Simulator Game Disc” I don’t have a disk because I purchased MSFS in the online Microsoft Store

Hi @OldArmy1997 ,
Try the steps in this article: