Cloud Lighting VIDEO comparison, August 2020 build vs Simupdate 5

Brief description of the issue:
The lighting and shadowing of the aircraft in and near clouds is less realistic in SU5 (Too light, looks overexposed). In the old version I remember being amazed by the feeling of going into a raincloud as everything turned quite dark in the cockpit. This effect is greatly decreased now both externally and internally.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:
I have to the best of my ability tried to recreate the same weather, time, location and heading settings as a video I took in August last year (2020).
I think it’s quite a dramatic difference in how the old build lighting is much more dynamic. I think this is a downgrade - but you judge for yourself.

So here are the comparison videos:

First The old August 2020 Build:

Compared to SU5:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:
NA

PC specs for those who want to assist (if not entered in your profile)
i510600K RTX3070

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:
SU5

Are you on the Steam or Microsoft Store version?
MS Store

Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #?
No

I was gonna ask “do you have the Light Shafts setting to the same level in both cases?”, and I just saw that the old optimization guide listed the feature as “broken with SU5”.

1 Like

Interestingly, there seems to be a lot more wing flexing going on in the SU5 video.

Yeah the video of the old version was, of course, from last year and I cannot remember the settings for it. Probably “High” setting.