Cloud texture shows vertical lines AMD DX12

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

no

Brief description of the issue:

Switched on DX12. When I go through a cloud while inside the cockpit, the cloud texture shows vertical lines…like a vertical blind. As soon as out of the clouds, problem goes away. Does not happen in outside views.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Enable DX12 on an AMD Radeon 6700 board running driver 22.6.1

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor 4.20 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

|—|—|
|Processor|AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor 4.20 GHz|
|Installed RAM|32.0 GB
AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB running driver 22.6.1

Are you using DX12?

yes

Are you using DLSS?

N/A

Are you using the multi monitor feature?

no

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

Are you using DX12?

Are you using DLSS?

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Yes

Same problem with Radeon RX 6750 XT, newest drivers.
Windows 11
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor
Powercolor Radeon RX 6750 XT
MSI X570-A Pro (ComboAM4v2PI 1.2.0.7)
2x16 GB GSkill 3200 Dual

Are you using DX12?

Yes

Are you using DLSS?

No

1 Like

I’m just curious if that goes away if you step down from TAA?

I think this is just a 6000 series problem, because on my rx 5700xt on the 22.6.1 drivers I’m not getting this problem.

1 Like

Problem is happening in all anti-aliasing pre-sets.

1 Like

You might want to report this issue to AMD as well, using their provided feedback template on reddit for example. Do you know if you had this issue in DX12 prior to SU10 beta?

I did not have this issue pre this beta. I check DX12 with every beta and release to check performance. As far as performance goes…seems to be rock solid and getting great frame rates. All other textures look fine. Just the clouds.

2 Likes

I noticed that the problem was only happening within the cockpit. Outside views did not have the problem. So, tried to lower the windshield effects setting to Low and, voila! The problem goes away. Can Asobo please take the time to try to fix this? There seems to be some kind of an issue between windshield effects and cloud textures within the cockpit views when flying through the clouds. Thanks! Keep up the great work!

Edit: Well. Spoke too soon. I should revise this to say, the problem is greatly reduced where it’s usable. I can still see some faint vertical lines.

Are you using DX12?

Are you using DLSS?

1 Like

This problem is still happening after the July 30 update.

1 Like

Rolled back the 22.7.1 driver to 22.6.1 and so far it appears to have fixed the issue for me (RX6700XT) with DX12.

@CAPTNRICK66 and @BAW5268879: I had a thought since @BAW5268879 is pointing to a driver issue. Have you played with any of the adrenaline software game settings? There’s a bunch that modifies the on-screen image such as image sharpening, texture filtering, surface format optimization, tesselation etc. I’m not on the newest drivers because they’re not working in VR so I can’t check.

I did. Every single setting. I’m went down the line on off. No change. I just upgraded my graphics card over the weekend. The 6900 xt with the latest drivers doesn’t have this problem.

Spoke too soon! Two flights no issues at all, only to load up this evening in a foggy Quebec and the lines have reappeared.
Back to the drawing board!

Does anyone have any idea when they plan to address this issue?

Weird as did not upgrade drivers and am still on 22.6.1 with the problem. On RX 6700 XT here.

Slightly different - Tokyo Discovery Flight, clouds had horizontal layer lines

Tokyo Discovery Flight, not sure of the weather settings as they are “set” and not user-modifiable. I did a regular “not discovery” flight in Tokyo trying to match the settings of the Discovery flight, and the clouds looked normal. So, something in SU10 Beta is colliding with settings in the Discovery flights?

Are you using DX12?

Xbox X

Are you using DLSS?

Xbox X

1 Like

Looks like these “blinds” are linked to the volumetric atmospheric setting when using DX12. Turned it off in Dev mode and the lines disappeared instantly, back on and they reappear.
Something obviously changed after SU10 B1 as that was the time when they started to appear for me.
(On a different note: IRL driving through a tunnel with sun light shining through the gaps in the roof and it produced the exact same effect!)

3 Likes

Same happens here. DX12, 5800X3D, Radeon 6700XT. Other than that, no real issues with DX12, only occasional ground tiles missing on the apron or runway. It used to be a stuttery mess pre-SU10 but it’s smoother than DX11 now. Same fps (or slightly higher) but better frametimes.

Edit: Often the vertical stripes just disappear after panning around in the cockpit for a few seconds.

1 Like

Yes

6700XT, Driver version: 22.5.1. Not all types of clouds trigger them.
The bands move with the camera space, they don’t stay in world space.

Are you using DX12?

Yes. Issue is not apparent in DX11

Are you using DLSS?

N/A

4 Likes

Just for the record: Still happening in SU10 beta version 1.27.19.0

DX12, Ryzen 5800X3D, Radeon RX 6700XT.

2 Likes