Coastline glitch - water creeping up coasts/cliffs

With that last one you simply want to shut down the sim

This is seen worldwide and KILLS the experience and the wish to fly the sim

I hope you can fix it soon along with the SPIKES all over too

2 Likes

Whats happening on mountain coaslines since US world update???

1 Like

The US World Update added a new elevation mesh. What the update didn’t add is a new map of where the water is. So the two don’t match now, and these scenery glitches are the result.

The water map needs to be updated to match, but Bing just doesn’t have that data I’m guessing. Another fix would be to have the “AI” that generates a lot of the scenery, simply not draw water where the terrain has a slope and/or flatten the terrain where the water is mapped. Without matching data sources, however, it’s still probably going to cause some glitches.

3 Likes

Thank you, and I agree that all sounds very logical, and suspect you might be right. I suspect the developers are already onto this problem, and it is linked with the absence of the planned water masks etc. I just hope a fix is on the horizon as it is totally breaking immersion flying anywhere around the coastlines of the world. Personally, I would have thought that the source elevation data gathered from LIDAR would also have gathered the associated water levels next to the land masses of the world. I guess, to your point, that the dataset they use has huge holes in in it, and therefore somewhere there is a mismatch in data causing these glitches.

Guess I picked the wrong week to visit the fjords of Norway :frowning:

Unfortunately we can no longer fly over the sea approaching a coast, especially where there are many islands [Caribbean area,Aegean sea etc.] . The “spectacle” is unacceptable… Best wishes for the new year to everyone.

you can do what you suppose what other simmers do

The previous simulators with much better Graphics… much much better…

PS: a resolution for the new year: constructive criticism.

1 Like

I created screenshots MSFS , P3D_v5 and Xplane11… no mods… settings mainly near max. …

I start at “La gomera” , because it shows us two kind of thes issues mentioned here.

You can decide then, how worst these little glitches realy are…

MSFS

These little water fall ( the optical illusion of it , we see it is like a little ‘bay’ ), can be realy fixed. Clitches… oh yes… sooo many horrible clitches which made the Game unplayable… Realy… omg… these glitches…

Xplane 11

no glitch… but also no waves…

P3D v5

ähmm… just P3D without any kind of mods…

I forgot the big mama Google Earth:

omg… these waves looking like glitches…

Same issue here with creeping water along coast lines all over the world.

It’s definitely related to the elevation data updates during WU II. The current land textures simply don’t perfectly cover the topography and hence it grins at us along the relatively high shores.

Bing Map definitely needs a revolution to keep up with the updates MS/Asobo are doing with the sim.

It’s a LOD issue. This glitch disappears when you fly very close to the terrain.

of course… nothing is perfect… As long as all of the “big ‘map’ companies” make here own thing and not wokr together, we see from each the good and the worst sides.

My thinking that I depict these quick-compare-images of the big-flightsims was more to show that it is not the worst thing ever and to bring the users which mentioned so often how worst the graphics of MSFS is compared to the other flightsims “back on ground”.

Additional we can also see, that this little waterfall is a optical illusion because of not optimal shadows.

I suspect that this will improve when we have the DEM SDK and can make more accurate mesh?

Hi everyone,
Looks like the glitch has been added to the feedback snapshot and work has begun on rectifying it. This is great news. Thanks to the dev team for picking up on this, and thanks to the posters here for voting and sharing screenshots of the issue.

3 Likes

Who flies P3D without Orbx Global packages? :wink:

thanks that you mention that… it’s exactly what I wanted to point out ( the context would be more clear, if the post before that are checked ).

Some users forget what MSFS cost compared to the other flighsimulators. Users need to spend only 69€ ( one time ) and gets in effect the whole-earth-scenerie included… in a qualitity which is far better that basic-stuff in the other flightsims. On other side, MSFS is not so good compared to “simulator features”… and compared to a 60€ Airplane ( one single airplane ) from DCS have msfs no chance :slight_smile:

Seeing how beautiful the coasts were two months ago, we didn’t think it would need any correction [except water masks in some areas].Nor did we imagine their coming destruction…

1 Like