Coastline glitch - water creeping up coasts/cliffs

I wonder what “Started” but in “Backlog” means? Seems to be contradicting. I assume it just means they are working on it, but don’t know when they will release it?

At least it’s picked up, which is good!

1 Like

Yes I wondered that too. I hope it is not similar to my kitchen decoration DIY attempts. That has also been started but is currently in backlog…Many years have passed :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Voted. It’s really awful, I do remember seeing it once or twice in the past but not to the extent that I see it now. It’s on every coastline, everywhere I go. I do so much flying over and around coastlines, it’s so ugly.

1 Like

Totally kills the immersion for me! :frowning:

1 Like

I hope that this annoying issue is addressed soon. I’m still enjoying the sim, but I wish it to go away.

2 Likes

The problem is glaringly obvious and was not present on release. I fly repeatedly in coastal and island environments. It is omnipresent and was not before.

They are not “little glitches”. They are the failure of the terrain and textures to load in properly at the coastline. While they often correct as you get closer, they don’t always.

Clearly, what has happened is the devs tweaked something respecting loading terrain/texture data at distance to improve performance. The side effect is they have destroyed the coastlines, which is extremely noticable to anyone routinely flying around coasts.

I want to be clear on that. It’s not just textures that are not loading. Close in, those defects have large sharp angles. The data along the coastline is simply not loading in. When it does, it tends to pop in.

This should be rapidly fixable. It is frustrating it has not been.

They applied some sort of global tweak and brought about this failure as a consequence. It irritates me as my performance was fine.

2 Likes

Did you fly around coastlines to any extent before this happened?

It’s not a texturing problem. The terrain data itself is obviously not loading in.

They applied a global adjustment of some kind respecting data loading and this happened as an unintended consequence. It has nothing to do with shading. The bloody form of the terrain at these points are large sharp edged triangles.

1 Like

This happened with the past world update USA. Who knows if it was the result of the elevation data update or not but that update ruined all the coastlines. They know about it, but the people in charge obviously don’t seem to consider it important as it’s still not listed as being addressed with the next world update in their road map, which to me is disgusting. This glitch absolutely ruins any coastline flying. Just do the St Barths landing challenge and faceplam at the coastlines, it’s embassaring to try to show a friend or family member and have to explain why the coastlines now look horrendous.

No joke, I bought X-Plane 11 and installed the hawaii-photoreal scenery add-on and have enjoyed flying around Hawaii more with that than MSFS. For one, there’s no dang trees all over Diamondhead and the mountain tops, and the mountains look way better with the sharper edges like real life. MSFS mountains are mostly all soft, round, and smooth - not like real life at all.

Anyhoo, I wish they would fix this and it should be easy since they broke the coastlines in the lastajor update!

5 Likes

I totally agree.

Fortunately, there are many who handle English much better than I do and follow the sign of constructive criticism.

Seems Indeed like a management decision of Microsoft to prioritize this issue low. It’s so obvious, so immersion killing and so easy to fix (be reverting the change introduced in the US world update - assuming they have change management in place).

1 Like

Hi @WilyCreature383

I choose a place in the world which another user former mentioned and based on that I depicted how it looks in other flightsims.

The user reported two issues: the so called “coastline clitch” and these “waterfall”.
I would only mention that we can see it is a “bay”… it looks bit strange because of 2D and the shadowing ( these black line in front and white behind ) , but its all about “perspective”.

Although I’m not expecting this to change in these locations with the forthcoming UK “world update”, I’m hoping the delay to that is to avoid these sort of issues occurring there too.

“I wonder what “Started” but in “Backlog” means?”

That’s an odd combination because “backlog” typically means not started, basically the “to do sometime in future” list. In this case I think it basically means they’ve started looking at it but have no schedule to release a fix - but that could mean sooner rather than later.

1 Like

Most of these glitches dissapear when you get closer. I’m assuming this bay doesn’t do that, if it’s an actual feature of the scenery.

I first noticed it when flying in the Caribbean. I have a habit of flying quite a lot there and other island rich environments.

It is glaring on the approach to Saba. Saba was great, one of the jewels of the sim. I saw this odd grey triangle effect along the coast and first wondered whether I was having a terrain loading issue. After that, I noticed the effect was repeating everywhere there was a coastline with any sharp elevation change on that coastline.

It is really noticable in the Caribbean and the Pacific North West.

In trying to figure out what it is, I note it tends to correct when you are close. The textures and terrain tend to load in. This is really noticable flying into Saba and St. Barts. Saba has a lot of custom terrain for the cliffs. You see those cliffs load in as blocks some times.

I never had the issue before the USA update that I can remember. This is why I conclude something pertinent to performance was tweaked which impacted how the sim is loading data. The impact would perhaps not be so noticable over large landmasses or at sea level coastlines. It is really noticeable along areas with cliffs or steep coastlines.

I suspect whatever they did produced some performance improvement over continental land masses but had this unintended effect on elevated coastlines.

Which means, to repeat others here, it ought to be relatively correctable. It should be as simple as treating coastlines one way and non coastlines another.

Then again, maybe it is an elevation data thing. I have a suspicion though it is a LOD performance tweak.

Surprised to find nobody complaining about the same -and worst- glitches inland with bends in rivers where water is climbing the sides, whatever the distance. its horrible!

I know that place! It’s the default “La Gomera Airport”. That bay is just water and coastline crept up. The Sim-Wings La Gomera Airport has corrected that fault nicely:

Hi all, would anyone happen to know whether the coast line glitch got any mention at all during yesterday’s developer Q&A? I haven’t been able to watch the replay as have been working a fair bit recently. If anyone who happened to watch yesterday’s event could comment I would be very grateful. Just looking for signals to confirm the developers have clocked this issue fully. I do know it’s on the bugs list etc. But by chance any verbal confirmation/update would be a good step forwards to a fix. Thanks in advance :+1:

No, they didn’t mention it at all.