Colorgrading is extremely important Asobo

From my initial impression watching the trailer i’ve noticed a couple things that frustrated me slightly.
This sim has an incredible graphical quality which is just being held back by proper colorgrading.

Currently in FS2020 the simulator has a warm tint shift which should be slightly colder and the tint shift should be slightly away from the greens.
This also impacts clouds whiteness which can be quite perfect if the Mie scattering and absorption is tuned correctly.
Entire atmosphere can change for the better in this way.
I can’t show this much in these shots so i’ll focus on colors instead.

with proper shading techniques this can look incredible in a live setting.
just please for the love of god don’t oversaturate it make it feel realistic.
The colors are ALMOST perfect, just ease down on the saturation and tune it slightly colder.
This currently feels like going from D65 to D55 temps.

here is a slightly color edited shot from the trailer, these are minor quick edits.

before:

after:

before:

after:

before:

after:

For example in these shot it looks quite convincing, colors don’t seem overdone too much.

18 Likes

(i’ll reserve this post and edit it later to showcase more examples based on FS2020 shots)

Here are a couple shots i recently took with some minor tweaks to colors with a tool called reshade.
it is highly limited in what it can tweak as you can’t pick specific parts of the sim to give a different shading.
But you can tell the sim looks more convincing than vanilla purely with some color tweaks.

24 Likes

That EasyJet shot has got me fooled, it looks real to me. I quite agree with all this, should be a vote added if this is possible?

4 Likes

could you share your reshade profile/edit please ?

3 Likes

Hello,
You can’t vote on MSFS 2024 topics at this time.

2 Likes

Here:

2 Likes

Nvidia control panel, desktop color settings, slide “digital vibrance” down to 40%, done.

It’s not quite as muted but it knocks off some of the cartoonishness

Edit: Also I like that it does the same to my desktop which has gotten too bright over the years

5 Likes

I always wished if NVIDIA has a save button for the color tunings I make in MSFS. I wonder why they don’t…

This being said, I also find a touch of desaturation and a notch toward cool with a bit of less contrast makes some screenshots of MSFS just too good to distinguish from real world…

However, my suggestion would be to have a simple color tuning options added within MSFS to let users tune the sim colors / as per their taste.

3 Likes

thanks ! I had it in the past, l don’t remember why I stopped using it, probably it was at a momment I had many CTD (as everybody did with error 0x000005 memory could not be read & nvlddmkm.dll error ) I thought reshade may be the colrupt while it was a msfs server side issue
later I tried applying some nvidia filter :

Color : Tint 32% Tint Intensity 18% Temperature 10 Vibrance 12.6
Brightness / Contrast: Exposure 0% Contrast 30% Highlights 0% Shadows 10% Gamma 70-100%

without being able to get “real” color as close as reshade did

Have to agree, the Essy Jet shots looks real. Amazing what a few non professional tweaks can do to the sim.

1 Like

That’s my point, the sim can look incredibly real without adding all these extra graphical features or heavier shaders.
Colorgrading alone can make a world of a difference.

I hope Asobo calibrates all their monitors in the office at D65 and check that the delta levels are good enough.
And hire a proper artist if necessary to work on the artistic side.

3 Likes

this is for example with reshade + some touch up in photoshop.

7 Likes

Simply unbelievable. You should be hired by Asobo immediatelly. :slight_smile: The firt TAP looks really good, as it’s the middle of hot summer day. The second one - I really love these cumulus clouds!

1 Like

@FinalLightNL Amazing shots. You have to share your reshade settings with us. It will be a crime not to.

Secondly, I feel like the devs have surely improved the color grading in MSFS 2024. But as you said, further improvements can still be made. I also believe that they need to remaster the sim in HDR. The current implementation is just bad.

Anyone willing to compare the 2024 shots vs 2020 ?

There’s also some good discussion and examples of ground colour in the below thread. I do find the unrealistic green ground colour is by far the easiest way to tell I’m looking at a FS video/picture and not a real photo. The good news is it should be pretty easy to fix!

1 Like

Since you guys know your stuff, given the following available settings in openxr toolkit, is there a way to get better lifelike colours on a Pico4 VR headset?
I feel it’s really difficult to mess with all those settings.

Serious question: Why is default color grading important, when nearly every PC monitor’s specs are so far off the grayscale and color gamut standard? Shaders (regardless of how you access them) are important for that very reason, no?

I will agree that the default colors, gamma, contrast, detail, etc. in the sim are not good. They need to be improved, but I’m not sure accurate color grading without a means to compensate for monitor variability is the right answer.

4 Likes

The difference in a application or game not being colorgraded properly has a much bigger impact than a monitor that is not calibrated.
Alltho most monitors don’t deviate too wildly from their standard colors as some form of factory calibration does happen.

You can fix a monitor by calibrating it, but you can’t do that for a game unless you are the developer.
The biggest difference we mostly see are people using different color temperatures for their monitors.
While 6500K is the standard that should be upheld, some people for example use 7500k cuz they like the colder tones.

We have tools like Reshade luckily, but in a very dynamic setting that is flight simulator and not a single level based game it is simply not enough to fix for the shortcomings.
That’s why I try to bring this to Asobo’s attention instead.

2 Likes

Good point.

I regularly re-calibrate my monitor for my photography using a Spyder ( Welcome to Spyder - Datacolor Spyder ) and it does help make MSFS look a little better.

1 Like

I do this, too, and find it helps. Point is I very rarely fly using the monitor those days. And to my best knowledge, there is no Spyder-like tool available for headasets yet.

I think there was a discussion to this effect in another thread already.

1 Like