Coming soon from Aeroplane Heaven

Just finishng up the flight model and sounds.

11 Likes

How soon? Rough ETA?

You guys gotta figure out some conflicting messaging going on. Just a couple of days ago there was something AH that said where “things will come when they are done” in terms of MSFS aircraft because of how limited by SDK and MSFS’ constant update state you are… So, is it coming soon or not? :wink:

2 Likes

There is no conflict. We have always said that our products will be released when finished. Seems logical. This one is almost finished save for final sounds and a manual.

This is what I am referring to:

"A NOTE ON DEVELOPMENT.

In recent times we have been receiving many comments on when we will be releasing products for MSFS. So this would be a good time to cover some points that people may not be aware of and might serve as an explanation as to why things are taking much longer than they used to.

We know that it is often easier to blame the sim for shortcomings when something is late or not up to standard and some devs do this quite a lot. We don’t blame the sim unless there is due cause for complaint.

The fact is though, currently MSFS can only be described as “early access” at best, from a developer’s perspective. The simulator is still unstable and the constant flow of “upgrades” only serves to increase that instability. Development for the sim is a nightmare. The SDK (Software Development Kit) is still incomplete with large sections missing altogether. This means developers like us have to spend considerable time working out what may be missing and then code up a workaround to suit. For example, castoring tailwheels are still not covered in the sim even though they have developed a range of taildraggers themselves!

Engine code is up the creek to put it mildly - boost control in something like a Spitfire is non-existant and ground-handling? Forget it.

So, when you ask when a product like the Spitfire will be released, you may now understand why we say “when it is ready”.

Our Spitfire Mk1A has so much bespoke code it isn’t funny. Just to get a workaround for missing or faulty code in the sim.

Sound production is way more complex than it ever used to be and there are very few commercial producers making sound-packs for add-on aircraft. Those that are, understandably, are charging much larger fees for the extra work. To the point where it is uneconomical for smaller developers like us to buy in. So, here we go again, big learning curve to produce the special files required for a soundpack in MSFS.

All of this will get better but it will take time. All we ask is for patience and some understanding that the old days of FSX and P3D development are long gone. Sales for P3D are tumbling and much like it is in the world outside, life will never be the same for any of us."

This kind of stuff plants a seed that it’s gonna be a bit for stuff to be ready and you aren’t all that happy with where the sim is in terms of your development. You know, setting expectations…

Not that anyone would want you to rush and put out substandard product.

3 Likes

Everything we say there is true. We have to make workarounds to cover it. Developments for MSFS will take MUCH longer than for the other sims. We have always said that. I am not sure what you point is. We will deliver when ready and that is pretty soon now.

1 Like

My only point was that with an apparently imminent release you guys went on record saying the development for this sim is a nightmare and it’s unstable and the entire tone of that piece read as something meant to put pause on expectations. Perhaps I interpreted it as more dire than what it was meant to convey but after reading that piece I was prepared to read that it will be a while before ANYTHING from you comes. That’s all. No big deal.

5 Likes

I am guessing they were talking about the development of complicated aircrafts such as DC3 :man_shrugging:

At the end of the day Aeroplane Heaven are awesome developers and they support MSFS. I can’t wait to try out their products.

1 Like

Oh, absolutely! I have their P3D products and they are a great developer. I am VERY much looking forward to enjoying their work on MSFS.

1 Like

Will be interesting to see how this is handled, and additional insight from the developers if we can get any. My feeling is that both the Flying Iron and Milviz warbirds are suffering from limitations of the simulator, which is resulting in ground handling that’s unrealistically bad. I’d be willing to switch from one Spitfire rendition to another if this is solved.

1 Like

I don’t think there is a need to “switch” per se - they are different Mks. So it’s not really the same aircraft that FI has out. In a way, it is competition, but not completely so. I definitely want to have both in my hangar!

1 Like

Yeah of course. I’m a casual gamer that only really needs one Spitfire though, regardless of which mark it is. :wink: I’d buy another if it has improved ground handling, and probably just stop using the other one.

3 Likes

This is exactly how I read it too. I also was taken aback by today’s post, seeing it as being a very different message.

2 Likes

Like I said, it was just how it read TO ME… Ya know, perception. :wink: Glad to hear something is coming soon though. To ME, the real treat will be the DC-3!

1 Like

I am a massive fan of Aeroplane Heaven, and of the DC-3. I look forward to that one. But perception was struggling a bit on these communications. Mixed messages.

3 Likes

Been waiting patiently for a Spitfire to buy for this sim from a developer I’m willing to give money to.

Please don’t release it until you’ve nailed down the Merlin engine sounds as best as can be for this sim, because the iconic old girl can look like a Spitfire, fly and handle like one, but she sure isn’t close to being one if she doesn’t sound just like one.

From the screenshots the model and detailing looks really nice, and you guys have a good reputation so I’m quietly confident you’ll come good here👍

1 Like

Perhaps a little clarification then. Let’s put it this way - if this had been for P3D it would have been out long ago. The process of developing for this new game is much more complex and is riddled with traps for young players. We are just as excited about building for it as any other sim but we could do without some of the issues surrounding the SDK and the shortfalls in the sim itself.

The reason for our post on FB was to try and answer those who continually ask when something will be released. The answer is genuinely we don’t know because we don’t know how our workarounds will work until tested, what workarounds are even needed until we strike a problem and how long those workarounds are going to take to make.

On other subjects, don’t be too hard on other add-ons with regard to ground-handling. The ground-handling in this game sucks - everybody knows that. It comes down to how long a dev is prepared to spend on that aspect until it becomes either time or cost prohibitive.

We have focused time on the flight model and in particular the ground-handling so people can take off and land with reasonable confidence. It’s still tricky but then Spitfires are not easy to handle on the ground due to the narrow track and high torque effects. Moderate boost and the patience to wait once the tail is up before hauling her into the blue makes all the difference too. We have built a castoring tailwheel and coded a way of belly-landing without disappearing into the ground.

All of this is great, providing another “upgrade” doesn’t change something again.

4 Likes

The taxi handling of the Spit in MSFS2020 is pretty docile compared to IL-2 (Great Battles) or DCS.
However it’s a much wilder ride down runway during take off than either.

Cross winds on ground or close to it (landing/TO) seem a little exaggerated in msfs2020 though no matter what I’m flying. You feel it a bit less in heavies but all the small props seem to get blown around a lot in the mildest of cross winds.

1 Like

Your explanation makes perfect sense. Thanks for clarifying. I think, from MY point of view, I’d rather have the developer take the time they feel they need to put out a solid product than rush more rubbish to the market, because we have plenty of that already. :wink: The fact that it’s a new platform has naturally created a hunger for new aircraft, so certain developers (Bredok3D, DeimoS, MScenery, yeah, I am looking at you) aren’t afraid to capitalize on that and release absolute and utter rubbish just to quickly seize some cash. I know AH is from a completely different level, so I would never expect that from you guys - you put out solid stuff. But, yeah, it’s growing pains in terms of development and the cadence of updates to the core sim makes it harder.

This is interesting on the tailwheel though. By chance, have you seen Milviz’s Corsair or Carenado’s YMF? Both of those have a locking tail wheel and I am wondering how yours is different from those.

Thank you for taking time to add this commentary. Very much appreciated. I have praised your Chipmunk in the past as a reviewer for AirDailyX and Flightsim.com. Additionally I have owned numerous examples of your products. Your two posts did confuse, and as a professional writer, former newspaper journalist, and author, I know how very easy it is to give mixed messages. Glad you addressed this. But I will make this message clear. In my experience of decades of flight simming, Aeroplane Heaven is consistently a developer to trust for quality products. Any new simmers reading this can make note of that sentiment. All the best in your continued development for this “evolving” platform.

2 Likes