Community Folder Part X

If I think of the early days with acustic modems, then file sizes of this magnitude were totally unthinkable.

The reason is that many people will use an SSD for the sim, and an HDD for the install packages, which delete themselves after installing.

Every write to an SSD shortens it’s life, they are best used for reading from; whereas an HDD can be written to lots of times without hurting it too much. The worst way to use an SSD is to write lots of data to it and delete it repeatedly.

If we had to use an SSD for all the packages and installer stuff it would quickly shorten the life of the SSD.
This way, you can keep the sim on your SSD, and use an HDD for the packages to download and delete themselves without worrying about shortening the life of the SSD.

All is perfect. The PC ran all night, and now I have the Simulator on my new drive, inclusive the things that apparently were on C:. I have the 3 folders Program Files, WindowsApps, and WpSystem as before, and then I have the newly createt Folder “Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020” in which I can find my Community and Official Folders at the first level. If I am shortning the life of may SSD, well so be it. My windows 10 is on a 250gb SSD, and I think windows writes more stuff on the SSD than the Flightsimulator ever will.

1 Like

Glad it’s fixed :¬)

I have 2x 250GB SSDs, one C for windows, one for MSFS 2020
I have a 1TB HDD which is for all the constant writes, all my windows folders for documents, desktop, music, pictures, and the swap files go on the HDD

More modern SSDs can handle it better than the older ones.

Well is wasn’t really broken, only really odd. Now I have to get going to earn the Money to pay for all this stuff… :money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

Hi all,

When I installed MFS 2020 I have choosen My D:/ directory… I have reserved C:/ for windows , but my community foder is in C:/ by default, It is growing with my add on and my size for windows is reduce with patch, plane, and so on…

How to move all in D:/ and how to patch the game on D// and not in C!!

Thanks for your help

When installing you get the choice on which drive to put the Simulator. After that you are presented with a screen which shows you how much space is left on that drive, and you also see a box with C:/… (forget what stood there,I think someting with Packages). As far as I understand it, Flightsimulator loads its program Packages by default on to the C:/ drive, which are then expanded (like Zip Files) and put on the drive that you selected for the Simulator. These Packages are then deleted, and the next ones are loaded to your Windows drive C:/ to be expanded. Drive C:/ also seems to be the place where your Community folder and Official folder is stored. Totally stupid, as these folders will grow and grow. (so what is the drive you selected used for?) Below the C:/… Adress field is a button “Browse”. I hit browse and changed this adress to the drive where my Simulator sits (a 2TB SSD). On this Drive I created a Folder “Microsoft Flightsimulator 2020” and chose this folder. Now my Community Folder and the Official folder sit there. My address for my community folder is now “F:/Microsoft Flightsimulator 2020/Community”. As far as I know, you cannot move these folders after the install. I may be wrong about this so someone correct me. At the moment I am tackeling Install problems of my own.The simulator installs, but I end up with only 2 aircraft and the rest of my premium deluxe content missing. Asobo says this is a known issue, and I just have to install the missing content under “Profile->Content Manager”. This kind of works if the content manager doesn`t screw up its downloads, which it does rather often. I´m still battling to get a complete installation. I have never had so many problems in installing a piece of software… :weary:

1 Like

Thanks for this evidently have the same issue and identical bizarre path to Community folder. Not looking forward to a new install to correct this mess…

I have installed the flightsimulator several times now (Maybe 4-5). Each time the PC ran the whole night. You have to tell the installer what drive you want the simulator on, and then there is a field that normally says “C:/…(— Something, forget what—)” with a button “Browse”. I hit this button, selected the drive I chose (“F:”), created a folder named “Microsoft Flightsimulator 2020” on that drive, hit OK/Save or whatever is there, and now I have my community folder in the folder “Microsoft Flightsimulator 2020” on my drive “F:”. No longer a cryptic path. I had thoughts about installing the recent 1.9.5.0 update, as the last japan update broke the simulator making me install it new again. No problem this time. Everything went easy and with no problems. My community folder and everything in it stayed where it was. They are slowly getting rid of all the bugs. With something this big and complex it is to be expected. They still have a long way to go, but you have to admit: the simulator is a work of art… Amazes me everytime I fly.

What if i moved the whole package file to an SSD and found the exe. file and put a short cut on the desktop ?

Ok , this method is just too easy . On your PC , got to settings , then to apps and scroll down to MSFS2020 . Click on it and there will be a tag Move To , click on that and you will see a drop down menu of available drives click on the one you want to use an click move … and Whalla !!! done .

1 Like