[CONT] Official Discussion: Hotfix 1.18.15.0

No it does not. You must add:

Comitted RAM + Budget VRAM = total memory available for the sim, which means the sim is allowed to use that much.

If you count @TwoSuitz numbers:

16.3 RAM used + additional 8.4 budget VRAM = total 24.7, xbox is combined so it should never have been 24.7 on pc if it was xbox budget, which is 15 total (1 gb for os).

That slider is what I am hoping for.
They must also know if you are a PC or an Xbox and disable it for Xbox.

But data is always uncompressed raw in VRAM, unless i missed some info, please let me know!

Only into the Frame buffer.

I think I am right in saying DXT textures are stored in VRAM compressed before hardware decompression. Been a while since I was doing this stuff so I could be mistaken.

As am I :sweat_smile:, i thought raw data is always needed.

Current RAM usage was 16.3GB is (out of 64GB)
16.5GB is the peak this had reached so far in that session.
Current GPUMem budget was 8.494GB/8.844GB
The video card is is a 3080, so only 10GB of RAM.

Would this amount of RAM (CPU + Video) be possible on an xBox?

Edit @scriptkid beat me to it! :grinning:

1 Like

It does not say committed RAM it says Peak Ram which is shared.

DXT - polycount

DXT is a texture compression format, formerly known as S3TC. DXT is widely supported on current graphics hardware, meaning it will stay compressed in video memory, allowing the artist to use more or larger textures.

1 Like

I dont think thats shared, and it says peak and current. I am surprised as I havenā€™t seen this on my machine.

Is that a custom Citation model?

Cheers, thanks for the info!

These are two completely different concepts. Peak is max used within a comitted amount, which is always more then used.

With what is peak ram shared by the way?

I keep hearing is this for an Xbox or PC ? It does not matter as there is only one flight simulator for for both PC and Xbox as for today they do not differential PC or Xbox.

It CLEARLY gives the peak CPU RAM (16.5GB) and the CURRENT CPU RAM (16.3GB).
It then CLEARLY givers the Video RAM usage as 8.494GB.

That means the sim is currently using a combined 24.794GB RAM - the xBox only has 16GB (15GB useable).

The argument that the PC is hobbled to xBox levels is DEAD.

3 Likes

It is a requirement to have it if you donā€™t want the system to freeze when RAM fills up.

Ok happy flying. I spend to much time in this forum.

1 Like

But also with page file it can freeze up, so that does not really hold. It is what you do with the PC for needing a pagefile or not :wink:

That is a completely separate, and much more philosophical, argument.

I am only referring to this ridiculous conspiracy, that the PC version is hard limited to xBox levels, which is being spread by a small group of vociferous users as if it is a fact, when it is nothing of the sort.

2 Likes

Ok so here is exactly the same scene as yours. My system only uses 5GB

Are you sure this is a recent screenshot on SU5 and that you havenā€™t hacked the LOD or config?

Sorry but you are wrong as already discussed it really is being limited. You even admitted as much above.

I tend to agree with this statement as the numbers have shown. I think the agressive optimization to the sim on the xbox has bleeded into the PC build because these fpesses are so important.

What awaits them is to apply different strategies to accomodate the different requirements. from users on both platforms. I tend to think the optimisation bleed into the PC build is temporary from the beginning, hence the beyond utra that has been talked about.

The culling bit is fine for me, brilliant bit of work by the team, I just use the rolling cache to stop it re-downlading. The thing I really dont like is the heavy texture compression and loss of image quality.