[CONT] Official Discussion: Hotfix 1.18.15.0

This is the sort of thing that Direct Storage is built to address - storing or caching 3D objects/scenery and allowing the video card to access them directly.

As you say, the incoming data will never keep up with the cache, and relying on the cache completely will lead to issues as data becomes outdated. It is a fine balance to ensure the data is renewed whenever there is time/bandwidth and the cache integrity is kept as good as it can be.

1 Like

Yes really slow [not]

CL14

However you misread my post, the extra step just adds latency.

(PS. downclocked from 4000MHz, Windows 11ā€™s U.I. crashed even though MSFS continued to download SU5 in the background)

1 Like

I would totally agree with your statement if this was a finished product. Unfortunately it is not. The sim will continue to evolve for as long as Microsoft commits to it (10yr). In the past year, there have been 10 updates to the sim. 5 sim updates and 5 world updates. Each bringing some improvements but also some bugs. This past update, at least for me, hasnā€™t been so good on the PC side. Hopefully now that the Xbox release is over, the next update will fix most of these issues on the PC side.

2 Likes

As I understand it, real world simulator uses multiple gpu and each gpu projects a portion of the screen on the simulatorā€¦ then data is streamed to each gpu component to combine into a massive screen and realtime updateā€¦ The processing power of the simulator and data storage for the real simulator is in terabytes from multiple streaming sourcesā€¦ But its a presetā€¦ depending on the flight plan of the trainingā€¦ So a portion of the program might be doing weather, or atc and most of the programs might do physics calculationsā€¦ Or I could be wrongā€¦ lolā€¦ So optimization is needed in our case since most of us use a single cpu or gpuā€¦ take that and squeeze into the size of an xboxā€¦ I think sim dev did what it intended to beā€¦

1 Like

Thereā€™s still much to do though, multi monitor amongst them

Hello
I have encountered a serious problem since this SU5 PC update, in fact when I am on a payware addon airport, the jetways disappear, and on airports such as LFPG some jetways are also missing. It is very annoying when you fly in an airliner !
For example LEBL and LFPO jetways disappear, or appear rarely.

Thanks for your help

If you use the Ram for caching, there is no additional latency, you load the data before you need this.

I mostly agree with you, but the product is a year old now and I feel like customers have legitimate complaints when the sim is messed up via mandatory update then we get the ā€œweā€™re aware of the problemā€ response that weā€™re still getting for year-old issues that are still unresolved. I just want Asobo to focus more on quality rather than adhering to release schedules. I understand that bugs occur but I canā€™t think of any other title or service that wouldnā€™t allow a customer to return to a previous version while they fix the issues if they are going to take a month to fix. Also, it was the head of Asobo that went on video and assured us that these performance increases would not be a regression but would come in the form of ā€œCPU optimizationsā€. They made a promise they could not keep. This has damaged my faith in the productā€™s devolopment. Iā€™m giving them a month to fix it before I give up hope.

I think if the customer is to have no reasonable expectation that the product is going to work from day to day, or even that it may be down up to a month at a time, that should be stated upfront so we can make a more informed purchase.

2 Likes

Contact whoever produced the add-on would be my advice ā€¦ Even if in the marketplace many of these scenery add-ons were originally made for FSX (and probably still work in it). It really isnā€™t Asoboā€™s job to bugfix other peoples content.

Its true to some point the speed of the fed data can give to your cacheā€¦ if you outdone what the data can feed youā€¦ there is still data lag from the realtimeā€¦ like TwoSuitz quoteā€¦

This is a server side bug linked to individuals accounts I believe. The content manager does not pick up all the mandatory packages required to start the sim. Mandatory content is listed in the below xml file. In my case, whatever I do, the content manager will not download asobo-flight-tutorials-default which is listed in the xml as a mandatory package. Zendesk have been no help whatsoever. Getting pretty ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  of with this sim now tbh.
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.18.15.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\PublishedPackages\PublishedPackages_Content_Mandatory.xml

1 Like

That would explain a lot and possibly reviewing and editing user account details might solve it for many (basically a reset), even if the details arenā€™t actually changed.

Yes, commercial sim technology is modular, to ensure that one process doesnā€™t drag down others - but a big part of that is to do with legacy systems. Modern CPUs are multicores and multithreaded - but taking full advantage of that is fraught with complications and pitfalls, race conditions being the most common problem, so it is not used as much as it could be.

1 Like

Iā€™m just guessing at people having problems with loading scenery or making the sim faster need very good hardware and also very good data stream for the serversā€¦ with humongous connections from the internetā€¦ scenery loading can take a big hit on their streaming serversā€¦ Thats why i believe they have the map region cacheā€¦ soā€¦ if we were to put the cache to accelerate our loading timesā€¦ provided the cache it filled is a complete cache that doesnt need online updatesā€¦ then its good loading timeā€¦ but the live players, live flights and weathers will still need streaming. So anything local cache is fast offlineā€¦ How details the map region cache depends on the developerā€¦ for mapping you sure need lots of photogrammetry data stored to cacheā€¦ who knows only Asobo can tellā€¦

Absolutelyā€¦ditch the road mapā€¦releasing stable updates would benefit us allā€¦:+1:

2 Likes

The difference is in where the data is located and what needs to be done with it.

For most purposes, you are correct, data cached in the RAM is the fastest place for it to be.

However, that is not necessarily true for graphics data. Direct Storage allows the video card to directly access the data, at full PCIEx speeds, and pull it directly in, bypassing CPU and RAM, and work on it directly. This gives several advantages - less latency and access to all data, not just the data that is cached. Seek times can be higher but as the data tends to be in large chunks, and can be optimized for sequential access, so that isnā€™t really a major factor.

1 Like

This is mainly correct and is the reason an area can get much better, the longer you spend there (up to a point obviously). Rolling cache is designed to take advantage of this and manually caching an area should, in theory, mean that you do not require any live scenery data at all - though it doesnā€™t work like that in my experience.

Unfortunately, there is no silver bullet for this, because what works well in one scenario (sim location, speed, altitude, hardware, connection speed, etc.) will not work so well in others - so a balance needs to be reached.

1 Like

I donā€™t know about you but I can see the difference between 30,60, and 120 fps. Is a massive difference. 30 fps is not exceptable for any flight sim or racing sim. 60 fps minimum is acceptable.

For what itā€™s worth I just landed at Manchester Airport yesterday, and had the same problem with jetways.
so not only payware.

2 minutes later after I had been on a look around the airport in the drone they appeared.

1 Like

Is this new, rain being lit by volumetric lights? Maybe Iā€™ve just never noticed it before.

And are those seats supposed to face rearward?

1 Like