[CONT] Official Discussion: Hotfix 1.18.15.0

Well, there is definitely something with the coloring. It’s not only the clouds. Under certain cinditions you can also see it on water planes and even on the aircraft at edges.

Initially when i saw it it looked like ice clouds in very high altitudes where there can be purple discoloring on how the light is bend. Initially i was stunned they have done this. The green looked like extreme dense clouds which can produce this green hue.

But after a while i also started seeing the generic color banding on more surfaces. Thus can have multiple causes:

• monitor callibration,
  • monitor color depth,
  • monitor driving callibration (color profiles),
  • a game with some weird gamma output,
  • a game pushing unsupported colors (there will be tries to fill up gaps to be able to display the colors which an output/monitor does not support)

Not all monitors are equal, my samsung shows less up to almost no color banding anymore after i re-calibrated it to default and used the windows monitor callibration tool. After the recallibration i went to the nvidia control panel and adjusted the colors.

But, my philips monitor is showing banding like it’s a party, even after callibration and artificial adjustments, a just am unable to remove them as it will completely mess up the rest of the colloring.

I say less, because i do think that the color output currently is a bit off. It’s making textures look different (kind of washed, making it more like others say, cartoony? ) and there is definitely some banding going on and possibly the global illumination is generating colors outside of the SD range. I don’t know if HDR has the same issue. If HDR has the same issues, check monitor and output callibration. But on SD it looks like it’s definitely coming from the game.

My 2 cents, cheers!

@SubtotalGuide81 I do see the banding in both the before and after pictures, not sure if the update made it worse. But, the first one does not appear to show the green hue.

1 Like

Maybe you are using HDR Full Pallet on an image that does not use that palette? I am not using HDR, and the image colours look right. Maybe the flight sim messes up HDR?

That would them be a windows bug as it then allows HDR to be used. All HDR settings are off, and in all reports HDR is unavailable (monitor, driver, color adjustments and sim). I will take another look, maybe there is something in the register for whatever reason at whatever place causing my card to output HDR, which would be weird cause i should see way much color distortions if that’s the case or my monitor would just show nothing.

I think there could be an issue with with color depth or too much contrast, i do have 32 bit reported which should minimize any banding, unless the sim does not output 32 bit. That would mean my card/sim is not outputting 32 bit, or the 32 bit is a false claim by the monitors or still running in lower bits with a widescreen.

Possibilities are endless. But will check again.

Since the hotfix came out, I have been flying every day, a couple of hours a day, with no CTDs. It’s been wonderful. Then yesterday, my run of good luck is over. Loaded up a new flight plan, and when adjusting frequency to ground CTD. Thought the G1000NXI (only third-party software installed) might be the culprit. Removed it, loaded into the game. Started the engines (CTD). Ok, a busy airport, I had better change to a smaller airfield. Loaded the new flight plan, loaded into the game. VANILLA MSFS2020, no third party software. CTD when commencing taxi. No explanation, nothing has changed on my PC or in the game. I have been running pretty much a vanilla version of MSFS since I did a reinstall after the release of SU5. No AI traffic at all. Only live weather and live traffic running as these have never caused me any issues. I just don’t get it… it is almost like at some point, something in the code gets corrupted and you are in a world of pain. 5 flights, 5 CTDs. Lets see what today brings, and how many more ridiculous solutions ZENDESK will give me.!!!

EDIT: Today I fired up the same flight. And no problem, no changes, G1000NXi reinstalled, and the flight was perfect, EXCEPT. constant Azure voice engine dropouts. Leading up to WU6, are new features being dropped on to the servers prior to the release? I remember having these server issues prior to SU5 as well. Interesting…

Have you looked for any?

After hotfix (1.18.15) sim looks little bit better.

But, compared to SU4, the render distance is still worse:

Clouds still looks horrible up to close (very pixelated and bad color gradient):

And I still have CTD:

1. A320neo FBW is unplayable. Always CTD when I take FBW A320 and press button “Fly”. I deleted A320 FBW.
  2. Sometimes when I’m zooming map in the main menu - fps drops and I have CTD.
1 Like

This is what I get with a 5800x and 3080 with fast internet etc… Blurry mess.

Just so you know, yes, I did ‘pop’ it out. I saw nothing like what you’re describing.

Same to me. This is the secret that MS/Asobo found to “optimize” the sim, giving more fps and stability…oh god

1 Like

An rtx3080 far exceeds MS’s ideal specs and I care much more on how well the sim runs on supported systems.

But it’s not the same for everyone which is the strange and weird thing. I’m not seeing any of this blurry images that people are showing.

Are all these blurry screenshots that people are showing using RTX30xx series cards or is it also an issue with for people with AMD GPU’s?

My system is 3700X CPU and 5700XT GPU and as I’ve said I’m not seeing these blurry images in game.

I’m guessing it’s beyond some users capabilities to set a low preset and apply before resetting to ultra. They will be the same ones that think a 500Mbps connection will make the sim’s servers output faster.

I also don’t have those blurry texture I can see here, whatever altitude I fly. No CTD on my side. I fixed (or at least drastically lowered) pop-in of trees and objects by creating a 4,5GB ramdisk when my Windows start, and set the rolling cache in it:

Now I don’t have any stutters when turning my head in VR. Temporary solution until Devs fix it, and ramdisk work perfectly on my configuration (32GB RAM).

Only things which is annoying is lack of AA on VR menu, but nothing important. Clouds look great in VR, in fact all look better in VR for me as I’m able now to run clouds on ULTRA from Medium, raise my RenderScale from 70 to 80%, mainly raising all settings to high or ultra due to SU5 optimizations. My GPU still have headroom running at 80 to 95% usage. I don’t do IFR and ATC are managed by IA (casual simmer inside) but I understand other frustration with all the bugs they can meet.
I’m confident all will be resolved soon.

1 Like

■■■■ 500Mbps, I’ll stick to my 30Mbps connection!!

1 Like

What GPU do you have?

A ram disk is a great idea for those that have invested in 32GB and more however that isn’t me and as I’m not having any issues I won’t even think about it before the next update. For all we know it could include DX12 which for us with NVme could make the ramdisk redundant.

1 Like

Rtx3070, with a 10700K and the headset is my good old Oculus Rift cv1, that’s why I can feed its low resolution easily with RS at 80% and pixel density x 1.7, crisp and clear, fps locked to 30 asw ON, or 45 asw OFF depending my mood…

1 Like

I don’t know if you have finally able to resolve it, but I friend of mine I was helping reinstalling its Windows, had issues installing MSFS2020, having CTDs during installation and some times just installation freeze on download.

We followed all troubleshooting procedures available in Zendesk and even other sources from the forum, but nothing worked out.

What we finally did, which was our latest resource with limted possibility of success was to reinstall windows on top of, using an upgrade procedure with the same version that was already the latest. After that re-installation, MSFS installation worked like a charm (this just happened yesterday). He was able to start MSFS and load and scenary. not much more testing as it was already too late.

Keep posted on upcoming findings.

Of course what issue resolved the upgrade of Windows 10, unknown, but for sure some inconsistencies in the OS or Store that other procedures didn’t resolve.

Ok Folks! Maybe the IT experts can figure this out!

I have not been able to fly since update 5. Have tried cleaning files, uninstalling, reinstalling, but still no change…CTD on 4th opening SLIDE (before the Map).

I’ve taken the data from the Event Log after my last CTD…can anyone figure out from this data what the issue is…

Event Log:
Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.18.15.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.18.15.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000001a10c07
Faulting process id: 0x1fb8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d79a8edba162b2
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: 3bd51441-881a-4f63-b9f6-7fccd084aea3
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

C++ data:

Any help would be highly appreciated…need to FLY :slight_smile:

This is what MS says on their support page: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/9e83c5fc-caa4-4d64-82a2-342bda0b8673/exception-code-0xc0000005?forum=w7itproappcompat

Here’s another one: Redirecting