Content.xml missing

I’ve recently had an issue loading MSFS. The sim loads and I pick my flight but then, when I click on ‘Fly’ the screen goes a little bit darker and freezes.

I know from past experience that it may have something to do with my addons in my community folder (I use the ‘Addons Linker’.) So I delete all my cache folders and temp folders, restart the computer and then restart the sim but with nothing in my community folder… all works fine. So it must be something in my community folder that is causing the issue but with so many addons its going to be a pain to try and find which one or ones are causing the issue. It could be an outdated scenery pack that is not up to date with sim update 8 or one of the modules such as…

1. aig-aitraffic-oci-beta
  2. fsuipc-Ivar-module
  3. noolaero-module-vdgs
  4. or the new tool bar

I have two questions…

1 Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing the recent crashing I’m experiencing? Has anyone else had any issues with those modules?
2 I used to delete my ‘content.xml’ file which was in
C:\Users\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache
but its missing. Why would that be? Would it have anything to do with it?

Thanks guys

steve

Content.xml gets generated/read every time you launch, so no that’s not the culprit. I delete content.xml from time to time if I have an issue and it’s always regenerated.

So why is mine missing now? when I launch my sim I go and check the folder and its not there. very odd.

1 Like

No idea. You’re checking it here?

If the AIG is installed correctly, I would say it is fine, given the amount of folks using it with no issue.(including myself)
I also use FSUIPC and have no problems, and can’t see anything it does causing issues like this anyway.
The VDGS I haven’t tried, but I have seen a few issues associated with it, but they were more about not working rather than stopping the sim.
If you are referring to the Pushback Toolbar, there have been quite a few complaints associated with it, but the latest version supposedly corrected those.

I did an experiment to find the point at which the Content.xml was made after the start of the sim.
At the point you had gotten, the Content.xml file should have been there.

What are the contents of the LocalCache folder now?

FWIW there are several strategies useful to help determine which add-on is causing a problem. I have only a few addons but have had problems in the past. I sorted the Community folder by date with the oldest at the top. Any “old” update is suspicious. I think an addon over a year old might be “stale”. I move them out to a temporary folder before restarting MSFS.

ahh hold on…

I’ve been looking in the wrong place!.. I was looking in Local State folder not Local Cache folder… my bad!!

Thanks for all your help guys, sorry to have been such an idiot.

I guess I need to just keep removing the addons and seeing what works?

Steve

1 Like

That’s what I was wondering!!
Good Flights :+1:

Would a problem with internet connection cause an issue? Or is that irrelevant?
Does the fsuipc-Ivar-Module have to be running in the community folder all the time? I’ve sometimes not clicked on it in my Addons Linker and the sim seems to have worked fine without it.

Yes, I would think internet connection could indeed come into play there.
You can take that out, you don’t need that for routine FSUIPC operation.

use the addon linker, no need to move anything , just activate it on/off.

What’s it for? So I can delete it perminantly?

If you are just using FSUIPC to control peripherals, it doesn’t have to be there.
It is for accessing some of the advanced features of FSUIPC, it is not required.

Thank you!

1 Like

If you ever do need it, you can easily just re-install!

Just tried to start MSFS and again its gone dark… something not right. I need sherlock holmes I think.

1 Like

Here is a link to the Support Checklist.
Try every step until you solve the issue
If you are still having issues after these steps, follow the links at the bottom of the article in order.

Thank you, will do.

1 Like

Hello,
If you have questions, the best place to put them is in our new Community Support category. I have moved your post there.

As I was trying to sort it out MSFS suddenly started doing a 123.32 Gib update! Could this be something to do with it?? I did what I presumed was the mandatory update and updated the content manager after World Update 8 was released earlier this week. Now this mega mandatary update has landed which is taking forever. I wonder if the update I did earlier in the week needed this update to be installed first? But for some reason it only landed on my PC now. Guess we’ll see when its finished.

1 Like