Continuous CTDs after upgrade to SU9

Thanks…but we should not have to do all of that IF our FS2020 was running OK before the SU9 update. It seems as though this is becoming the new “normal” . A new update comes out and some of us spend the next few days trying to get it working to the level it was BEFORE the update. Something does not make a lot of sense…Microsoft went through all the trouble to run a BETA before the update but something did not get noticed or fixed. I am a BETA tester for some very amazing audio software and when I am testing it out I put in a lot of time making sure it is working correctly AND there are no BUGS. I have to assume that the BETA testers for MS do the same thing. So WHY ALL the problems??? Something in the whole update process needs needs to get fixed and soon.

3 Likes

I feel your frustration, and I generally agree. However, MSFS is a complex game running on a many different variations of hardware and software, it is next to impossible to get it bug free. I assume not many people are using VPNs on their gaming machine for example, so I understand why this would not be tested.

I started to get ctds when enable lo-latency mode. On ultra the game even didn’t start.

Well, to be fair, you are paid to do that beta testing, right? And, when you test the product update, and it leaves your domain with a stamp on it, does that product then go out to a million people with OS and hardware combinations that are extremely high?

Are your end users running a version of windows that you aren’t? How do you handle it if a new update to windows happens while – or after – your beta testing has completed?

What about weekly patches… can we be sure that weekly security oriented patches aren’t potentially impacting to the product?

Or, is the product you beta test used internally in your company, with desktops that are well managed so that you don’t have a gazillion combinations, etc.

By the way, there is no shame in being a dev/tester for an internal product. But it is a very different kind of work than if your product ends up on random dude on the Internet’s PC, which all expect the updated product to work and be stable.

There is a lot of “noise” in the public channel. A good portion of the userbase don’t have any grasp of the idea of managing configuration changes, etc. Many are running a bad configuration and they don’t even know it – until your product hits their system.

Examples… bad overclocks which has never truly been proofed out with stress and stability testing. People running the product with hardware well under the min spec, but expect it to work flawlessly. Just to name a couple.

Then there is the whole “bleeding edge technology” law that says the users with latest gen hardware can expect the most problems. It shouldn’t be that way, but it is.

Just to be clear, people are right to expect product stability as the product matures. The thing is, from my perspective that has happened very nicely. This sim is rock solid stable for me. Miles above the condition it was released.

But that isn’t the experience of many, and my good experience doesn’t mean there are no bad experiences – but that works in both directions too.

What we really need are people with unstable combinations that happen to be really good at troubleshooting configurations and passing on in the form of a bug report what configuration bit leads to CTD.

I kind of wish I had CTDs so I could help. And since I am planning tonight to upgrade my MOBO to an AMD Ryzen 9 16 core/32 thread platform I just might join the CTD club in the process.

3 Likes

^^^ Well said. In my case it is a product that is used by a lot of audio professionals all over the world. Not sure of the exact number but a lot. I do BETA testing on both Mac and PC. I am not paid for being a BETA tester but do get free software. (FWIW)

I agree with what you are saying but I am getting tired of not being able to fly when I want to. I love MS2020 but just don’t understand WHY it is so buggy. By now it should be a “mature” program and fairly stable. It is neither but I hope that it will continue to evolve into a stable, free from bugs software that we can all enjoy.

Good luck on your update!!!

1 Like

Last night after a week’s worth of trouble shooting I finally got FS2020 to run without CTD. YEA!!!

I finally got to fly for 20 minutes. Had to update some drivers and do some trouble shooting but all worth it.

Now if ONLY MS would continue to do updates that don’t mess up my FS2020…

Let’s hope that they will not release another update until they are sure it will work…For everyone.

By the way if MS is going to mess with peripheral drivers it might be a good idea to let us all know BEFORE the update and not after it is installed. It might make troubleshooting a tad easier.

With each new update, I have the impression that fundamental problems of the MSFS core become visible. They are conceptual problems. This happens to many agile projects when they believe that conceptual work is possible during agile processing. Trial and error instead of engineering work.

MSFS gives me the impression that conception has lower priority than features and bug fixing. The trap is that you do not solve the conceptual problem in the cause, but try to get them under control in the effect - during an agile sprint. Very often, this only makes the system more unstable, because only symptoms are eliminated again and again while the problem is still there.

I don’t know if it’s really the way I say it, but I’ve been working in software development for over 30 years and unfortunately SU9 makes me this impression again.

3 Likes

From my perspective, the one thing they should add is proper bug report feedback.

It should report back every CTD to the dev team (user consenting, of course).

That’s the only way they’ll identify and rectify the primary causes of these problems.

I’ve been through several phases of CTDs across multiple systems that are otherwise rock solid. I’m not a stranger to hardware. Software confuses me a bit…

But yeah, I had to troubleshoot SU8 to get it stable (USB disconnects were causing CTD’s with no errors, which shouldn’t happen but did…) and now SU9 is giving memory address errors after around an hour of flight time.

They need to fix what they have, then add content. IT’s a beautiful, frustrating experience at this point. I tend to play while stable, then give up for 3 months when unstable in the hope that an update fixes things.

did you remove all addons and try again? Asking because I started getting CTD randomly today. After downloading the 737 specifically

I have to unplug and do a hard shutdown of my RealSimGear products / software BEFORE starting the sim. If I do that, I can start a flight and then plug them in. But it will crash upon shutting the aircraft down or going to the Main Menu.

EVERY.

TIME.

1 Like

Stopped it for a while but then…ctds again

1 Like

I’m getting the same issue whith CTD everytime I access settings, I have tried a multitude of things and still it keeps crashing

1 Like

Amazing, i just suffered 2 consecutive CTDs without any reason (I never had one before)… Just lost like 30-45 minutes preparing my aircraft :clown_face:

1 Like

Continuous CTD all of a sudden. Can’t do anything in the sim. Tried safe mode didn’t help.
What’s going on?

1 Like

Yea, after having been relatively stable for awhile, my sim has now crashed a few times in a row at different points. I mean give me a break guys…seriously. I already have a lack of enough time to fly as it is. Doing the same thing over and expecting different results is definitely making me insane.

3 Likes

Same here, after being stable on SU8 I am now having CTD’s with nothing in event viewer. I wouldn’t mind much if there was an autosave ability that reloads all FMC data

Is everyone getting CTD, or are there some “freezing”

i found a decent stableish settings and did not had a ctd for 2-3 days then the small update came and broke my game once again, now constant ctds, doesn’t matter where I am, what stage I am at with my flight, could be at the gate while settings up my plane, could be after take-off, mid flight, approach, whatever… you name it…

i did not change a single setting in-game or outside the game. no new add-ons installed. one day i woke up to a 300~mb update and a broken sim.

2 Likes

What I have difficulty in understanding is that after any update some put back large amounts of non updated add-ons back and expect the sim to work.

1 Like

If the sim was updated yearly we would still have issues because not all third party add-ons would be up to date. That is life on a system in progress to improve. Unless you are testing software for the shuttle the man hours involved in testing would mean no implementation hence no FS2020.