Corrupted ROLLINGCACHE.CCC prevents the sim from starting

Are you on Steam or Microsoft Store version?
Steam

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
Negative

Brief description of the issue:
CTD in VR mode + corrupted ROLLINGCACHE.CCC file makes it impossible to start the sim. Safe mode doesn’t help.

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:
Got the CTD while in game. When trying to restart the sim the safe mode choice window appears, but no matter whether the safe mode is selected or not, the sim crashes to the desktop a few seconds after pressing a corresponding button.

Using the Process Monitor it can be seen that the last file access attempts in the C:\Users<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator folder point to the contents of the DCE subfolder and to the ROLLINGCACHE.CCC file.

Removing the ROLLINGCACHE.CCC file fixes the issue, and the sim can be used again.

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

I was trying to fix my sim for 5 hours . I was seriously going insane. YOU ARE A FREAKING BAD ■■■, PIMP OF A LIFE SAVER. I CRIED WHEN I SAW IT WAS WORKING AND WAS GOING TO ALLOW ME TO REINSTALL MY GAME, Its a shame I have to reinstall because I already uninstalled trying to fix the issue, but at this point I don’t even care. Thank you so so much!!! Except I dont use VR…

No not a monumentous discovery.

It contains what is known as volatile data and deleting or resetting the cache is a known fix for many problems so not actually a bug and Zendesk/Asobo always recommend it if you have issues. However in my experience it is better to have a rolling cache on a working system than not so long as it isn’t on a mechanical HDD.

Glad it was useful. And, yeah, I went the same route as you, I also uninstalled the game trying to fix the issue, just to find out later that it still doesn’t launch after reinstall :joy: That’s when I started to think that the problem was somewhere in AppData, so, at least, it helped with debugging.

I wonder if the sim uninstall logic can also be improved? Why would you delete all game resources, but still leave the game’s AppData folder with multi-GB cache? Especially if it’s broken and leads to a crash even after reinstall… :laughing:

1 Like

Deactivated it completely. Since then everything has been going better somehow. xD

Hmm, common knowledge you say? Which Zendesk are you talking about, this one: https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019202439? And how would you follow the instructions if the sim doesn’t start to the main screen? :wink:

On PC out of MSFS you can search for it and delete it.

Oh man, you’re a common sense king :rofl: I enjoy your wisdom :+1:

Oh come on! … Anyone who reads these boards regularly knows that deleting the cache can cure many problems and any search will lead you to it or to it being mentioned.

2 Likes

a clean install is described in FAQ:

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016107019-Microsoft-Store-version-How-to-repair-or-remove-and-do-a-clean-install-of-Microsoft-Flight-Simulator

is something missing within these FAQ which may be should be added ?

When I am troubleshooting, deleting rollingcache.ccc is step #2 after trying to start the sim with an empty Community folder.

If its not in the FAQ or does not have a well known KB then it should.

On the MS store install its accessible without modifying file permissions. Not sure about Steam.

I delete it after any update as well.,

I still keep using it as the sim will load faster to my frequently used airports. But downloads are fast and reliable enough not to put much effort into keeping it if I am having issues starting the sim.

If deleting the rolling cache does not solve my issue then I go to moving the OneStore folder, reinstalling the executable portion of the sim, and then moving the OneStore folder back, so all of that content does not have to be re-downloaded.

1 Like

it is also within the FAQ trouble…guide :slight_smile:

CLEAR THE ROLLING CACHE

To do so, simply follow the instructions from this article …

Aside from the fact that this FAQ describes Microsoft Store version, while I am using a Steam one, it lists the following path for deletion: C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe
The ROLLINGCACHE.CCC file (in my case, which seems to me as a default setting, because I didn’t change it) was located in C:\Users<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator. So, it would not be removed if you followed the instructions in the FAQ.

there is of course also a existing FAQ for steam users

and yes… if you do some manual steps, the support team cant know that. But as mentioned, there is a FAQ which mention in case you run into a CTD “please clean rolling cache” :slight_smile:

Not exactly. It’s there, but it describes how to delete the cache from the sim interface. You won’t be able to use those instructions, because the sim fails to load, you can’t go to settings.

but users which manually choose a different folder for the rolling cache , should know that location :joy:

But yes… may be the FAQ can be extended and mention the filename of the rolling cache , and may be the default location.

Looking at the steps, the ROLLINGCACHE.CCC file should also be left after reinstall. The page mentions cleaning up the Packages folder, but the cache file is not there, it’s in the parent folder.

yes… of course… these FAQ have the asumption that users which changed some default folder know about / are aware of these manual created folders :slight_smile:

I mentioned that the ROLLINGCACHE.CCC was in the default location: C:\Users<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator.

It’s not mentioned in any FAQ I’ve seen, and it will be left after the “clean reinstall” described. That’s the problem, and the whole reason for this thread.

1 Like

ah… now I see what you meant… \Packages… thats realy a point for the FAQ… not only \Packages have to be removed for a real “clean” removal… CLEAN would be a removal of whole “AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator” folder.