Couple of DX12 tips

Hi All - wanted to share a few tips in advance of DX12 being added to the sim to help with performance / troubleshooting:

• If you’re running Nvidia Low-Latency Mode in NVCP, it will not work with DX12 and should be disabled (the sim takes full control of the render queue)
  • If “Disable Fullscreen Optimizations” was enabled in the properties of flightsimulator.exe, this should be one of the toggles to check if issues arise in DX12 (things like CTD or crashes when alt+tabbing)
  • Stuttering in DX12 can sometimes be caused by Control Flow Guard (CFG) in Windows Exploit Protection (seen in other DX12 titles - Control, Division 2, etc.); flightsimulator.exe can be added with a program setting in Exploit Protection with CFG toggled off

Looking forward to a comprehensive test-out within sim…

23 Likes

The problem with the exploit procedure is that it won’t allow me to add .exe as I require permission from the admin and I tried to allow permission but there’s no option to do so it’s weird

1 Like

Ah probably a Windows Store issue with it being in the WindowsApps protected folder. Might only be an option for Steam installs unfortunately…

Well what I just did is add the program name FlightSimulator.exe and was able to do it that way. It’s on the list now but not sure if that works or not, we’ll see

2 Likes

Good find! Hope that works too.

Adding a link to a video in case anyone needs a hand with finding that setting:
How to FIX STUTTERING in DirectX 12 Games - YouTube

4 Likes

Thank you for your tips
So do the beta testers already access to DX12?

1 Like

Those in this test flight will not be able to answer this question due to a NDA.

3 Likes

(post deleted by author)

We should be able to test this ourselves soon enough - and that is what the intent is with DX12 being an optional flag.

Please stay on-topic so threads do not derail. Thank you.

It will be interesting to see if it is the same as Xbox in that DX 12 is running in DX11 compatibility mode .

In that case I guess its not really going to be providing any upside and probably just more issues and maybe explains why there are all these discussions like this thread trying to find work arounds before DX 12 has even been released.

It’s a shame it never released with Dx 12 in the first place as a lot of things are going to be very broken in the third party works after this upgrade to the API so already it’s starting to be 3 steps forward and hopefully only 2 steps back and not 4!

I am going to be removing my community folder and doing a complete fresh reinstall of MSFS .

Asobo brings most updates very buggy. So dx12 will crash the game and bring nothing at first i guess, but Good think they said you can disable it.

1 Like

It will be disabled by default.

2 Likes

I am pretty sure that is what I heard Seb say in a recent Dev Q&A as well.
DX12 will be an option that an end user, under SU7, will actively have to enable rather than it being a default setting.

2 Likes

Anyone else having a deja vu when reading this? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes … lots of users with non DX 12.1 capable systems complaining that Asobo broke their computer.

3 Likes

Exactly - Seb had noted that in a Q&A, and I assume will be similar to the DX10 flag (that we never used until DirectX fixer came out :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:)…I’m actually glad you brought that up because those may be the kind of symptoms we may see as well (texture / LOD rendering, inconsistent performance, VRAM usage, etc.). What’s good is we’ll be able to report those back to a dev team that’ll actively be working on it, and there’s lots of potential with the new API.

With a lot of other titles jumping in to DX12 ahead of MSFS, there’s quite a few tips and takeaways from the get-go (that’s where some of the suggestions in the original post came from).

That reminds me - not sure if folks know, but there is a DirectX12 Ultimate checker built into Game Bar now.
Win + G → Settings → Gaming Features

Your PC is either DirectX 12 Ultimate-ready, or you’re not a real gamer | PCWorld

1 Like

May be a dumb question – but if we are currently enabling NVCP’s Low-Latency Mode, why will it not work in DX12? I assume I need to turn this OFF?

Many games are set up like that. DX12 is an option for the user to enable, or not.

Not a dumb question at all. As DX12 takes control of queuing and buffering away from the driver, it’s incompatible with DX12 and just won’t work. At best, it will simply do nothing and at worst may cause issues or crashes - would suggest to turn it off if testing the DX12 option.

1 Like