Couple of DX12 tips

Just my observation. Tried DX12 seemed to work in monitor mode ( didn’t have time to spend much time there), but with DX12 in VR I was getting CTD fairly quickly after takeoff . Went back to DX11 and so far no CTDS.

If they do it properly it will work better. It’s a pity they didn’t code the sim since the beginning thinking in dx12. Let’s see if they can do it properly. Microsoft and Asobo could show the world the good of dx12. It would have been better to wait a little longer and have something better than dx11.

2 Likes

I hope you are right and have good news about performance soon.

Well I think that test failed. DX12 does not work. Unless you think 4-5FPS and a slideshow is indicative of a successful feature.

1 Like

It actually works with the right settings although currently that means only at lower resolutions (via renderscale). I expect this will get resolved over the next couple of updates.

Thank you for the thread. I tried the Youtube FIX STUTTERING video but was unable to locate the file Control_DX12.exe on my system.

Can some kind soul tell me where this file is located for a Steam installation of MSMS? Thank you!

Same here, gtx 2070 Super with i9 10900, DX12 brought it to its knees. I had high hopes but oh well.

“… Seb – Sim Update 7 features a new option in the graphics menu. You can switch it to 12. I have seen a lot of speculation: It doesn’t come with any new features or specific optimization. It’s just a straight port of the sim to DirectX 12. The goal here is just to have a test. We are doing a lot of testing. We think everything is working. Performance-wise, there will be potential for improvements. It is not yet faster. On my machine, the current version was 10% more efficient on CPU and a little bit slower on the GPU, and so overall you won’t see the difference. This is the very first implementation. We found a lot of potential for GPU optimizations that will add on top of CPU optimizations. Over the next month on updates, we will get more performance on DX 12 than DX 11 eventually. I am hoping for 10, maybe 15%. And we will start adding new effects related to DirectX 12. So currently, it’s really just a port you can test. But if you want more performance, you should stay on DirectX 11. We’re hoping for feedback, bugs, and start to see updated drivers.”

5 Likes

I’ve been testing DX12 and results have been mixed. It seems like there is about a 3-4 FPS drop. With DX11, my GPU has noticeable occasional stuttering due to the aa GPU COPY Engine. DX12 shifts the workload around flattening any COPY Engine spikes. I’ve switched back to DX11 for now…

1 Like

Nevermind, upon re-reading I found you obviously have to just except flightsimulator.exe itself instead of Control_DX12.exe.

Funny how he got 10% more efficientcey yet when in the real world many of us are seeing a drop upwards of 90%. Shouldn’t have even bothered adding it (even in Beta form) to this game until it had been properly tested and can actually be used without a degradation of performance. Not complaining it didn’t gain performance…but heck can it at least be usable.

He did not get 10% more efficiency - he has 10% more efficient on CPU and a little bit slower on the GPU

1 Like

Im pleased with the DX12 beta overall performance
The thing i have noticed from DX12 compared to DX11 it performs cheaper on gpu percentage around 66 and cpu around 28 also temperature is lower 70°C, further in my expererience and belief it is increasing the shadowmaps and reflections.

2 Likes

One good things with the DX12 beta is the implementation seems fairly stable from a VRAM perspective (generally with more usage in DX12 than 11).

Found another interesting comparison video
Flight Simulator 2020 - DirectX 12 vs DirectX 11 | Sim Update 7 - YouTube

1 Like

this is exactly what Asobo told: on first implementation there will be slight improvement on CPU, but hit on the GPU. Later they plan to improve GPU usage

1 Like

Looking forward to seeing those improvements!!

1 Like

at least for my system with an AMD 21.12.1 driver and Vega2 card the CFG setting did not result in any visible change in the DX12 behavior.

My main “stutter” observation is that when I …

… switch from the drone cam, which is far far behind the aircraft, so basically looking at a totally different area

… to the external cam,

I get very noticeable frame rate drops and stutter in DX12 … while such switching is very smooth in DX11.

It’s very early days but at the moment switching means settings must be recalibrated to get it smooth but it can be done and DX12 is not at all bad. However for now it’s with lower graphics and/or a reduced fps… Give it time.

Has anyone had any experience with DX 12 and 30 fps limit?

If that is the case it seems to be pointless using it as it stands now. Disadvantages and no advantages?