Cowan Simulation MD 500 E helicopter

BUG: there is discrepancy between cockpit gauges and external (HUD) indicators of AIRSPEED and VERTICAL SPEED (some 40%).
Needs fixing.
Sorry if it was reported earlier.
Cheers

I am late to this question but I sure hope you go for the Got Friends Mini 500. Compared to the Cowan 500E and the FI 206, it is easily the most enjoyable to fly in my opinion. It offers the best blend of compromises that must be accepted in the sim in its current state and offers the best feeling flight model in my opinion. My opinion is based solely on flight model though.

5 Likes

Seconded for the VSI discrepancy between in cockpit and HUD. Airspeed gauge seemed to refelct what I saw in the HUD, but the VSI I can confirm is off.

I own them all. The 500 is great but it is hard to fly, I think too hard to be honest, The Flyinside feels the most realistic to me, but IMHO the MINI 500 is just a blast to fly.

Don’t overlook the HPG 145 either, that is an awesome product too.

3 Likes

Airspeed is 5% off.

I spoke with the head of Cowan Simulations. I got some good news. I sent him a fault list for the Bell 206, MD 500 helicopters. I collected the errors and problems from the forums. Josh said that he plans to release a serious service package for both helicopters at the end of March. Everyone can be calm :slight_smile: During the conversation, he said that the support and development of all helicopters issued to MSFS will be continuous. You will always return to the given helicopter and upgrade them.

15 Likes

Thank you, sir! And thanks to Josh for his continued support. Looking forward to the updates!

2 Likes

Lets hope this gets released on xbox today! Been waiting 3-4 weeks now!
Please let this be the day!

3 Likes

Don’t forget the Bell 47G from Flyinside, it’s a belter. If you can, get them all.

2 Likes

Do not forget the beautiful hpg h145 and its action pack

1 Like

Unfortunatelly H135 and 145 fly like Airbuses on rails…

5 Likes

Because they are Airbuses.

4 Likes

We are adding VRS in next week’s update if that helps your decision lol

Got Friends

4 Likes

What’s VRS?

1 Like

Vortex Ring State

1 Like

something simmers obsess over, and actual heli pilots tend to shrug and say its no big deal IRL

3 Likes

That is a burning question. Simmers don’t want exaggerated effect but no effect at all means you can descend aggressively without consequence. I would never want to make flying choppers harder, and certainly not exclude others from enjoying them (things like auto-rudder/anti-torque are essential accessibility options.)

A more realistic flight model encourages finesse and adds a little more challenge than throwing that motorcycle of the skies around with abandon. Perhaps the real effect is difficult to simulate correctly, so it’s implemented more frequently as a exaggerated effect that occurs too easily at a vertical speed threshold?

1 Like

I would frame it differently. Everyone wants it implemented correctly, of course…

It tends to be overdone in the sims that implement it. It’s easier to get into in the sim than in real life.

The few times I practiced recovery was with a tailwind in an OGE hover and it took a bit to develop. It was easy to recover, but you lose some altitude.

It’s not that it isn’t important to have, and have implemented correctly. It’s that having or not having it isn’t the most important thing to getting the flight model right.

If I had to choose between a sim that does 95% of the FM well but doesn’t have good VRS and a sim that does 85% of the FM well with good VRS, I’ll choose the 95%.
In real life you “practice” recovery, but primarily you fly to avoid the conditions.

2 Likes

The H145 is the most polished helo in the sim. Talk about a complete package. So many features… Updates galore with real support from the developers.

I like the Cowan stuff but they need to step up and fix what they released. Cowan has promise once that happens.

2 Likes

And that’s a good thing. It’s realistic as does the real aircraft.