CPU Bug "Limited by Main Thread" is causing the bad FPS

It certainly made a difference to the G3000 in the TBM 930.

1 Like

It will be in your install folder if you chose something other than default. In my example, it’s on a other drive.

I’m getting "Limited by Main Thread’ but my CPU usage is 99% all the time? Pretty sure my CPU is more than capable…i7 9700 @ 3ghz, RTX2080ti

Clearly not. If your CPU is running at 99% then you are asking too much of it. My 9900K runs at around 40-50% with Ultra@1080p.

Clearly not. If your CPU is running at 99% then you are asking too much of it. My 9900K runs at around 40-50% with Ultra@1080p.

Translated to: “Works fine for me so there’s not an issue”.

4 Likes

No, actually he is right, either something is consuming your ressources or your GPU is not enough (I believe it should be enough so I would think it is the former).
If your CPU said only 40% of it is in use, as is the case with the i9900K I would understand that it is a game issue, but if your GPU is showing 99% of use SOMETHING is using it to its fullest, check what apps are using it.

I have checked. I have nothing else running that is consuming CPU. Just FS. Only thing I can think of is I’m at Ultra and 1080p with LOD set to 200(which apparently is CPU intensive). However, that is what the game set my graphics settings to. I haven’t touched it.

That has to be it then, I only get around 48-50% ussage on my i9900KF but I am only using 100 LOD

1 Like

Hmm will change it down to 50 then see how it goes and then see if I can bump it up in increments.

I am using G-sync, and my screens are VERY choppy with this fix, and I have very little performance benefit.
Probably because my screen refresh match my fps (37-40)?

I’m running the fix with every 3rd frame rendered, so if I’m at 40fps my screens are running at just over 13Hz, if I understand this correctly?

It is a game issue. It runs multiple threads synchronized with the main one, if one of them lags, the whole main thread has to wait for frame to render. It might be of multiple reasons that one of these ‘slave’ threads lags significantly, and better/faster cpu won’t help. Therefore only cpu 30-60% utilization on average.
I’m running 9900k on ultra and get 30-40% on average as well, even though it has 16 separate threads capability. So it is because thread sync rather than raw cpu powers.
Anything (AMD/INTEL) with 6+ cores running at decent speed >3.5ghz should be enough to run DX11 based product in terms of rendering. We ‘just’ have to wait for some optimization patches.

Display refresh rate fix definetly helps, but there is something else is going on. Something in this game causing this ‘Limited by Main Thread’ issue, and cpu usage jumps to 100% from 70% and causing really low fps until restart. Only fix that I could find was restarting the game. Even sometimes this is triggered from fresh start and you are ‘Limited by Main Thread’ on main menu with high cpu usage. Don’t even think about going into a flight in that situation, because fps will be terrible. Again only fix is restarting the game and try again.

Is any of you having these CPU near 100% behavior also enable Windows 10 Game Mode (and its plethora of screen/movie/etc… grab)? What about disabling game mode and compare?

Similarly, do you also have any NVidia GeForce Experience enabled/installed (or similar AMD stuff)? What about disabling GeForce Experience or even uninstall it?

Last but not least, if you’re happening to be running Windows 10 2004, what about enabling or disabling GPU Scheduler option?

Translated as an i7 9700 is not as fast as an i9 9900K.

You are making the incorrect assumption that just because your CPU is overloaded that there is something wrong. Sure, with optimisations you will gain some frames, but as things stand, you cannot get any more out of your CPU. You either need to lower your settings, or get a faster CPU, just as I did when I found my original Nehalem i7 975X wasn’t cutting it any more.

I didn’t complain that games were un-optimised, I got faster hardware.

Money to burn…

1 Like

True enough.

Are any optimisations they are able to make over time likely to make an i7 perform like an i9? Highly unlikely, but oddly the biggest differences could be found, depending on the aircraft, from the most innocuous things. Take that recent discovery with regard to glass cockpit refresh rates.

For me, I’m the TBM I would get 40-50fps in almost all cases, except in bug cities. This tweak has maybe given me another 5fps. It’s these little nip-tucks that will make the biggest differences I think.

I’m pretty surprised about performance with my I7 3770k from 2012 OC 4.4Ghz and my GTX1080 Oc ~10%, RAM 16Gb DDR3 OC 2400. I play at 1080p, with settings between High and Mid. I have 60fps+ capped in NVidia CP, no vsync, and 40 fps at big cities (my building stting are “High”). So GPU bound anywhere (obviously due to fps limiter) and CPU bottlenecked in cities. The only things is download times on my old HDD, take me 10 minutes to enter a fly at first launch.

1 Like

Agreed. I, like a lot of people, had been drooling over those preview videos a few weeks from release, prior to which MSFS was barely even on my radar, although I had signed up for Beta access months prior but never got anywhere.

I had resigned myself to running at “High-end” until the new Nvidia 3xxx series were released, but was very pleasantly surprised that I can run Ultra pretty much everywhere.

I have my CPU near 40-60%
GPU 99-100%
Resolution I use: 3440x1440
I got this after I turned on GPU scheduling in WIndows 10 2004 update.
I also added FS2020 to “Graphics performance preference” to performance" in Windows.
In the Nvidia control panel I also went to Manage 3D-settings and program settings, choosed FS2020 and changed “Power management mode” to Prefer maximum performance" It worked just fine after.
Playing on High with 35-48 FPS

1 Like

GTX1080ti
I7 10700k
ASUs prime z490a
32GB super fast RAM
Nvme 512 SSD
Win10 2004
Running 1440p 100 rendering
Mostly high with s9me mediums and ultras

I had a big boost in smoothness and performance by

• disabling hyper threading in bios
  • turning off VSYNC is NV CP and turning it ON in game limited to 60 FPS

I’m now running the SIM rather well also on airliners at handcrafted airports (getting 30-40 FPS at EDDF in a320 with engines on)