Crash To Desktop after the latest update

Every day since the last update I’ve had a CTD and/or BSOD when running MSFS. Had the game since October and it has never been this bad, maybe once a month. Now once a day it seems like after this last update. It’s totally random too. I had just finished flying for like 2 hours with no problem and then I went back to the main menu to browse the marketplace and while I was scrolling through the marketplace the PC BSODd and rebooted. Something definitely not right with the latest update. I’ve never even felt the need to look at this forum category until after this last update.

of course not… but which other reason have a community. And I assume we are much more people to do that, than the game-companies can create jobs for support :slight_smile:

in this case you changed a lot of things which can have caused the CTD :slight_smile:
Interessting would be what happens now with the UK update. I assume you mean the market place content, which are only ‘map data’ of UK and so I guess you have no CTD (at least not over UK) .

We have one,two cases in forum where a specific setting caused a CTD an with re-install of MSFS also the settings are reseted. But I assume it is not in your case.

But anyway… all my thumbs that my assumption is correct and sim works fine also with the UK download :slight_smile:

this points normaly not to a game issue, instead to an issue with your system.

You can try sfc/dism ( e.g. Crash every 30 min - #31 by MichaMMA ) .
Also check all your installed drivers.
And possible have a look at system temps while you playing.

And don’t forget: we assume here that NO mods installed. Jut because I seen your old CTD post from Nov’20. :

Well I doubt that since I can play all my other games for hours on end without a single crash. Temps are fine, system is water-cooled. And we’re talking about BSOD while browsing the marketplace here, not even flying. Can any mods installed cause that kind of problem while just in the menu?

1 Like

What is the network connection latency?
No other consumer on the fiber 100 Mibts?
Unmanaged switch in your network?
Your CPU is defintly to slow for London and your settings.
I have an AMD 3600, faster than yours and this to slow too.
Most importand is the single thread performance.
There are massiv data to calculate for each frame and you want 30 frames every second.

as say’d … mods are special thing and we can not check it ( and they are not in focus of these category READ FIRST , but you can possible search in #third-party-addon-discussion .

A bluescreen is normaly nothing what an application can create. Possible an outdated driver can cause it. But ouf course,… there are allways exceptions :slight_smile:

yes the market place content…I have installed all as was before, haven’t ventured into the UK as of yet, but all seems to be working now. will test more tonight over the UK

Also Thanks for all you help… :smiley:

1 Like

Getting CTD since the update as well (never had it before). Disabled all MODs and still no help. This has now happened 3 times in a row flying to KSPG airport in Florida USA.

Can we test the following?
Airplane: G36
Destination: Airport
Takeoff: from anyway, either another nearby airport or directly in the air about 15 minutes out…

Per above, my specs:
Community folder is empty
Developer mode either on/off, no difference
PC Specs:
i9 9900K stock clocks
32 GiB RAM
RTX 3080 with latest drivers and stock clocks
Windows 10

It may not help, but occasionally the Rolling Cache can cause this.
Did you try emptying that, and then trying the sim?

1 Like

can you have a look into the windows event logger and past the error text here ?

This was also happening to me. Tried all trouble shooting tips with no luck. Not sure if this was the problem, but during the update, I was caught in a loop downloading one of the updated core files. Possibly a corrupt update download??? I eventually did a fresh windows install as well as a fresh sim install, adding each update one at a time,(japan,usa,uk) testing in between. Overkill? Maybe but I haven’t had a CTD since.

Hi ! Zero previous CTD’s - ever - Now I get CTD when starting from London City Airport -no error msg, I am still testing… I tried a Bush Trip of Northern Scotland based on the new update and flew for 3 and a half hours- no issues and including 70Gb of addons in the community folder,. But London so far is a different matter. I do have content in the community folder but after CTD carefully removed anything related to UK any terrain fixes.
I do not seem to manage any other kind of CTD anywhere in the sim but London when I choose to start from the London City Airport - but I will keep trying to crash it elsewhere. I am open to suggestions but I certainly have ample specs - I run a 1440p monitor and am happy with lots of the UK content so far :+1:
Specs:
i7 9700KF @ 4.9Ghz, 32 Gb DDR4 C16 3200, GTX 1080Ti, M2 1Tb SSD + 3Tb Drive
Nvidia driver version 461.40

I run the sim mainly with Ultra or High settings…
I did delete the manual cache and now use a default rolling cache of 8Gb - I am increasing that to 32Gb now just for the heck of it - I have had recently up to 70Gb of addon scenery carefully installed and always updated when new versions are available. I shall be back :slight_smile:

Update : using TBM 930 started from EGML towards London after increasing Rolling Cache to 32Gb and lo and behold: NO CTD, I noticed my datastream was going up to 180Mbit/s -lots of data to swallow ! … I had a few major stutters but WOW the London scenery is so cool ! OK so the sim still wont let me fly through the tower bridge 'eh ? Crashed me but not out of the sim… More testing to come. And I have a slight scepticism on which Nvidia driver is best for the 1080 Ti . No VR here just 1440p.

…Update 2: Ooopps… New CTD . Leaving from London City Airport heading west… good grief…sunset clouds and getting 25fps… started like a huge stutter hanging for 2-3 seconds, then --desktop.

I find Bush trips were working well also. Can you try disabling ATC or using the offline mode to see if it helps? I have since reinstalled the game and so far so good but too early to tell. I did notice however the new install official folder had less folders and size overall which makes me think during the updates something went wrong. Hoping this resolves it for me…

Rolling cache turned off

I forget the time stamps of all crashes but the only one i saw that seemed relevant was as follows:

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x6027b4a3
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x6027b4a3
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000005a70ec
Faulting process id: 0x250c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d707b892db38cd
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.13.16.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.13.16.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: 47f2ba7b-decf-4946-b7aa-f20294eb1c11
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.13.16.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

During the update, did you notice any file stuck in a loop? Had similar issues. Thinking it might of been a corrupt download. I did a fresh windows install as well as a fresh sim install. No CTD’s so far…

Actually no. The update went very smooth which is why i am surprised and thought the update was the culprit of the crashes. I’ll put some more playing time tonight to confirm hopefully.

Well that was short lived…another CTD

Log from Event Viewer:
Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x6027b4a3
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x6027b4a3
Fault offset: 0x000000000092d2c6
Faulting process id: 0x35e4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d708c016d4e941
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.13.16.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.13.16.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: d64a89f0-bd11-4fb5-9d1a-6f1976dfc0c9
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.13.16.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Fault offset: 0x00000000005a70ec
Faulting process id: 0x1f5c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7092bc16bd1a8
Report Id: d77e5246-68bc-4544-8ae1-9e781976fb55

Hey guys,

Joining the thread after suffering for a few days and not finding a solution… maybe there is something I overlooked. Since World Update 3 I’ve been getting CTDs every flight after 2-8 minutes, sometimes I will get 15 minutes but it is rare. The exception code is always 0xc0000005. It happens anywhere, whether the scenery is dense or not, and with any aircraft too. I cleared my community folder just in case but it didn’t help, tried lowering my settings too but with no result. I have an i9, a good M2 SSD, 32gb RAM and a 2080… I tried different NVIDIA drivers and many settings tweaks, nothing helps. The weird thing is I can fly for over 2 hours in VR (got a HP Reverb G2) with no CTD or issue! If anyone has ideas, suggestions, comments, let me know!

edit : no ticket submitted to Zendesk yet, but getting ready to do it

edit2 : I tried disabling XMP in my BIOS but it didn’t help either

edit3 : pagefile maximum is configured to 48gb

I had 3 CTDs since the update, using the A32NX mod version 0.5.3. I was never able to even make it to takeoff.

Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.13.16.0, time stamp: 0x602a34d1
Exception code: 0x80000003
Fault offset: 0x0000000001a2ef32

I have 16 GB Ram and a 16 GB pagefile. For the third I was watching the memory on Task Manager and I hit the cap of 31.9GB committed memory just as it crashed, while loading into the cockpit for a cold start. I increased my page file to 32 GB, giving 64 GB total, and have not crashed since, though only completed one flight. I did hit 35 GB committed memory, so it seems to be a memory allocation issue. I had not CTD in months prior to this update.

Specs: 16 GB Ram, RTX 3070, i5-9600K no overclocking. I run 4k with mix of high and ultra settings. Typically get 40-50 fps in the A320. I have opened a zendesk ticket, but they came back with the usual of disabling mods and overclocking, etc.