Crash To Desktop after the latest update

Well that was short lived…another CTD

Log from Event Viewer:
Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x6027b4a3
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x6027b4a3
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000092d2c6
Faulting process id: 0x35e4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d708c016d4e941
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.13.16.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.13.16.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: d64a89f0-bd11-4fb5-9d1a-6f1976dfc0c9
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.13.16.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x6027b4a3
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x6027b4a3
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000005a70ec
Faulting process id: 0x1f5c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7092bc16bd1a8
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.13.16.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.13.16.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: d77e5246-68bc-4544-8ae1-9e781976fb55
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.13.16.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

Hey guys,

Joining the thread after suffering for a few days and not finding a solution… maybe there is something I overlooked. Since World Update 3 I’ve been getting CTDs every flight after 2-8 minutes, sometimes I will get 15 minutes but it is rare. The exception code is always 0xc0000005. It happens anywhere, whether the scenery is dense or not, and with any aircraft too. I cleared my community folder just in case but it didn’t help, tried lowering my settings too but with no result. I have an i9, a good M2 SSD, 32gb RAM and a 2080… I tried different NVIDIA drivers and many settings tweaks, nothing helps. The weird thing is I can fly for over 2 hours in VR (got a HP Reverb G2) with no CTD or issue! If anyone has ideas, suggestions, comments, let me know!

edit : no ticket submitted to Zendesk yet, but getting ready to do it

edit2 : I tried disabling XMP in my BIOS but it didn’t help either

edit3 : pagefile maximum is configured to 48gb

I had 3 CTDs since the update, using the A32NX mod version 0.5.3. I was never able to even make it to takeoff.

Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.13.16.0, time stamp: 0x602a34d1
Exception code: 0x80000003
Fault offset: 0x0000000001a2ef32

I have 16 GB Ram and a 16 GB pagefile. For the third I was watching the memory on Task Manager and I hit the cap of 31.9GB committed memory just as it crashed, while loading into the cockpit for a cold start. I increased my page file to 32 GB, giving 64 GB total, and have not crashed since, though only completed one flight. I did hit 35 GB committed memory, so it seems to be a memory allocation issue. I had not CTD in months prior to this update.

Specs: 16 GB Ram, RTX 3070, i5-9600K no overclocking. I run 4k with mix of high and ultra settings. Typically get 40-50 fps in the A320. I have opened a zendesk ticket, but they came back with the usual of disabling mods and overclocking, etc.

I know it shouldn’t need to be part of a long term solution, but have you tried turning off live traffic?

That can eat RAM and possibly opens up more scope for potential memory leaks.

@HawkMoth9135 I have not yet, just saw a video in another thread explaining this might be the issue a minute ago, will try and report! would be weird since everything works fine without CTDs in VR, but worth a shot! thanks for suggesting that!

edit : my traffic settings for VR were slightly different, I lowered everything for non-VR and was able to fly for over 25 min with no CTD and a significant bump in FPS too (10-15)
edit2 : another flight, 35 min without issues :slight_smile:

ah… the “hatefull” …0005… Can be lot of reasons…

You checked your virtual memory settings already ? What is your setting ?

If you had former no issues you can try to disable some network relevant settings as mentioned in 1.12.13.0.

yes, former recommendation from “us” was at least 20 Gig Max. Might be in London is more necessary. But I would assume then ONLY for London and not at other places.

which is correct as we can see

16GIG RAM is for usage of a 4K resolution in generaly “a bit less on RAM”.

I was not in London/UK during any of the CTDs. Two different airports, both in North America. Again, the big take away is that this never happened prior to the latest update.

You probably won’t.
The 16 gig ram often does require a manual pagefile to run MSFS.
Very few have been lucky, and have been able to run with system managed and not get a CTD.
There are quite a few threads and posts in here on it.
I have to have mine set with a manual pagefile.

and the mod version is newer => “released this 2 days ago”

You see, so many factors…

I only fly in the Canary Island region. Start location is usually GCLA.
That is why I had created a manual cache for the entire region. Each Island at the highest possible resolution.

I know my system is at the moment at the bottom end of the requirements specified for MSFS, but I do not fly in extremely dense areas, I do not have the graphic settings etc dialed to ULTRA etc.

All drivers and Windows OS are up to date.
Community folder is now empty. → same result.
I can add or delete a rolling cache…but I can no longer create a manual cache.

Until Update3 as I said I had no issues … so since my hardware did not suddenly get worse than before it is obvious that that update made a mess out of things. I am inclined to say as always, since every update so far has seemingly brought a few little improvements and some major bugs.

With any half decent software I know there is a roll-back option. If after an update problems appear that were not there before the system is restored to a point before the update and tested again.
Not with this, and by forcing everyone to update the end user does not even have a chance to wait to see if there are any big issues. At least not if as paying customer you still want to use the product you purchased.

which are often NOT multiplayer applications :wink:

But back to the topic.

I found this thread here, but seems no solution mentioned ( or I not seen it ).

But possible you can go throught the thread.

The users removed the manual…CCC file and then run into the trouble.

PS.: don’t forget the ZenDesk Ticket

EDIT: and I forgot… also if you can use the manual cache, the FAQ mention that there a KNOWN Issue and you run possible into CTD

Was on the final leg of a lengthy flight from Glasgow to Palma Mallorca, and when nearing 2 hours of flight time during descent… CTD. I’m not amused.

I’ve never had any CTD issues with the sim until now. I’m on 16GB of RAM fwiw.

This, and the other ongoing “Gaming Services” bug resetting everything during EVERY launch, I’ve decided to shelf the sim for now. I’m a patient person, but after all of these issues following last week’s update, it’s starting to run out.

1 Like

I’am realy a bit… I have to add this question into my clipboard.

You own 16Gig RAM → How is your windows virtual memory setting ?

Official FAQ mention a point about and within the forum exist lots of posts about ( also in this thread here ).

My Virtual Memory totals around 19GB over two drives.

The reason I didn’t post this initially is because this is a new issue for me. I’ve never had CTD issues before this update. My Virtual Memory has never been touched… and is automatically managed by the OS.

I do understand though that some are running with a manually set pagefile in order to avoid CTD. I’ve never had the necessity to do that.

EDIT: I read more of the thread above and can see others had had this issue when running the A32NX mod. This was what I was running coincidentally. I’ll have a look at altering the pagefile.

A lot of folks with 16GB ram have had to change.
If you are going to set up a custom size file, ensure both drives are done, as windows will pick whatever file has the least going on in it, and you will may have stutters if you only do it to one drive’s file.
Remember, it’s easy to change it back if you do have a problem.

1 Like

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately my OS SSD is only 126GB, and with only around 30GB free, I am unable to expand it’s pagefile by much. I have set it to System Managed (which I calculate is around 16GB Initial Size).

My main 2TB SSD (which the sim is stored on) obviously has plenty of free space which I can sacrifice, so I’ve set the Initial Size to 24GB and Maximum Size to 64GB.

Worth a shot. Hopefully that will fix the issue. Cheers!

I think to his point and many others here is that even with MODS turned off we experience similar crashes.

Virtual memory to answer your question, yes i set it to both managed by windows and manually setting to over 20GB with no success. Also turned off Live Traffic but have AI traffic enabled. At this point even if we start turning off game features to get around these crashes it still ends up being a game issue. Just not sure how to get the data microsoft needs to address this…

1 Like

An interesting thing probably worth noting…

During my aforementioned lengthy flight yesterday prior to the CTD, I had been taking screenshots throughout the flight, right up until the CTD.

Little did I realise, my screenshots also captured my system stats which I have displayed on my second monitor (see pic for the last screenshot taken moments before the CTD). Throughout the flight, my RAM usage stayed stable at 76% (12GB) load, and never went above this, nor did it fluctuate.

I still had 4GB of RAM free. I do realise that the sim will always use some VM regardless, but I would have expected the RAM to have been fully utilised prior to filling up all of the allocated VM.

Did the ram usage stay constant?
Large random peaks in usage have been one of the issues noted since the World Update.