Crash to desktop on launch

You are describing a different kind of crash. If it is only on airports the CTD’s are pointing to system stability issues/RAM issues/GPU OC issues… so different issue here, imo :blue_heart:

2 Likes

I found with McAfee, I had to add “gamingservices.exe” to the real time scanning exclusion list, and then the sim worked fine. Adding the file was an issue since it’s behind a “closed folder” on my system, but there’s a workaround to get to the file if you need to do that. Seems better than turning off your real time scanning.
Regards

As it is a hidden/protected file - how did you do that? Registry?

Luckily there are forums and smart people who solve everything or almost everything … thank you very much community … I also solved the problem …

No I try to never play with the registry. Since gamingservices.exe is a service, you can open task manager, go to the services tab, right click on the file, and click “go to details”. Once there, right click on gamingservices.exe, and click “open file location”. Once I’m in the right location, I still couldn’t add the file to my exclusion list, so I copied (do not cut and paste!!!) the file to a temp location, and then I could add it to my real time scan exclusion list from the temp location.
That worked for me at least, so hopefully it helps someone else.
The other method will work, but it does leave you somewhat vulnerable.
Regards

Somewhat. Yes, I think advising people to disable what is likely their own protection to get one piece of software to work is very reckless.

Let me remind those in this thread the words beneath that option:

real_time_protection

The wording will differ from version to version, this is from 20H2. If a user gets infected with something because of this, I wouldn’t want to be the one responsible for telling them to do this.

There has to be an actual alternative to this without throwing security out the window, like, oh I don’t know, how about an exception?

AV_exclusions

2 Likes

Yea I would never advocate for turning off any protections for any length of time. The bottom line is MS needs to find out why the latest version of that file needs any workarounds to get their program to start.
Regards

You’re welcome.

Now you can play with real-time protection - on.

How to.
In windows seacrh bar type
powershell

right click on powershell and select run as administrator

Copy/paste to powershell window

Add-MpPreference -ExclusionProcess “C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.10.8.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\flightsimulator.exe”

(right click to paste into powershell window)

and press enter

Run game.

source https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/simulator-doesnt-start-anymore-at-all/314155/247?u=tenpatrol

2 Likes

I would be asking why is it I can run the sim without having to turn that off, and also with no exceptions in place. If Windows Defender really is blocking something, then it will show up quarantine.

first thank you for this working solution. But is this not an MS task that needed to be done!?! most of users are no nerds and just want to use without problems!!!

This has not worked for me, does anyone have any other ideas that could help?

Turn off real-time protection.

Hello. I think I agree with you on this. I was on teamviwer today with someone who was looking through everything. He was saying this was due to.
" I think it is still related to the ongoing CTDs, in your case being caused by controller stuff AFAIK". So I think im just going to have to wait till the next update untill they fix it unforutenly.

Where do you find this exe file?

So I figured out a very strange bug. If I type or search for an airport on the search bar and load up from there, the SIM crashes. If I just use the globe and click directly on the airport, it doesn’t crash. WTF???

For me it worked to just add gamingservices.exe as exception: Windows Security / Virus & Threat Protection / Manage settings / Exclusions / Add an Exclusion / Process / type “gamingservices.exe”. This is easiest since you don’t have to find the path for gamingservices, just input its name.

1 Like

Yesterday windows was updated to version 20H2, no more startup CTD for me.

Regards.
Juan.

1 Like

Thanks very much everyone, I almost going to uninstall the flight simulator

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.