Crash to desktop without error message

, ,

FOR THE THIRD TIME i reply this topic with CTD report
the first one caused by broken Visual c++ and the second one because of the Xbox app.
and this time it caused by the freaking SPEAKER DRIVER. i update the dolby driver and it crashed my MSFS
idk why but this time i got CTD in map menu not in mid-flight as before
im sorry for you all but i need help again this time -_-

That’s not what you said before. You said it crashed on takeoff. Now you are saying it crashes on load. If its the later, then it could be the Bing data issue.

Look inside the scenery folder, and find a folder called “CGL”. Inside that may be a single file. Rename its file extension to anything except .cgl i.e. .cgl.bak

Then retry it.

Are you aware of the Bing Data issue?
This time it probably isn’t anything you did!

Have been doing some testing today involving removing all community content, removing paid content and have found the issue causing my CTDs meaning I didn’t need to do any of that. Stupid that I hadn’t spotted this earlier! This won’t be a workaround for everyone but if you have Nvidia graphics card this is definitely worth a shot.

I’ve noticed when a new GPU driver is automatically installed (normally by GeForce) it disables settings which have been set using a tool such as MSI afterburner. I have to manually set my graphics card fan speed to 80+ within afterburner. MSFS2020 is so GPU dependent I have noticed if you don’t do this the graphics card will reach a max temperature and that will result in a cut out instantly on whatever application is being used. I believe the max temp is 90’c for the RTX2080 (I’m not sure of other Nvidia cards but imagine the same). Since changing these I have completed 4 flights (5 hours) which Navigraph, Pacx, FCUIP7 etc was running and had no issues.

MSI afterburner is free and very easy to use and change the fan speed of your GPU and takes a matter of minutes to do. I’d highly recommend trying this. If this isn’t the issue for you, I hope you get your CTDs sorted soon…

Guys,

I had managed to run MSFS without CTDs during the last months but today I am unable to use it. I get a CTD without error message when loading the flight. Checking on the event viewer I am getting the following details (every CTD changes the Faulting process id, the rest is the same):

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5fda32ba
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5fda32ba
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000001e0fd8b
Faulting process id: 0x1f68
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7039716837eb3
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.12.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.12.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: 7f37df25-c9b4-4cfa-a0b5-6eaba467dded
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.12.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

Any ideas?

EDIT: I tried uninstalling the latest Windows 10 updates (KB4601319 and KB4601050) and it loads the flight again.

EDIT2: It is clearly not related to the updates mentioned above. Today, I can’t load a flight anymore and the updates are paused.

If you have an add-on with .cgl file check this:

Bing Data causing crashes with add-on Airports or Scenery - Bugs & Issues / Performance, Graphics & CTDs - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Well, that"s random either during take-off or directly before.
After setting the generic plane mode to on, it was the first time it crashed during loading.

Let me check if I understood: I see a CGL folder in \Packages\Official\Steam\fs-base-cgl\CGL
There is only one file called DB_notices but it’s not a .cgl file.
Do you talk about this one?

Don’t touch the “fs-base-cgl” folder at all. Only custom sceneries. Some custom sceneries will have a CGL folder inside. Apparently you can rename the folder, I have chosen to rename the .cgl file inside that folder.

Read back through this thread, and all will become clear.

I experienced a CTD when taxiing to Rwy 08R at EDDM (Aerosoft) today. On the second try I got a CTD again at the exact same location on the taxiway.

1 Like

Crashing over the Gulf of Mexico. Flew the sim no issues or changes for days tried flying over the gulf twice and the sim crashes. About 5-10 min after leaving the coast near Houston the sim freezes then crashes no error message etc. Anyone experience this? Is it something with the water?

Maybe related to the Bing Data issue?

I’ve renamed the .cgl file from the EDDM CGL/120 folder to .cgl.bak. No CTD observed. Seems this is a valid workaround. Thanks
Is the .cgl file not required for the scenery? What does it contain? Do I have now any side effects when renaming it?

The .cgl file is used with data which is streamed directly from Bing to your device to make accurate scenery. Right now there is an issue with that data and it causes a CTD when the .cgl file is accessed.

Renaming the file prevents the Bing Data from accessing the file, and thus prevents the CTD.
Scenery probably won’t look as nice, or maybe some sections missing, but no long term issues.
It will work fine when renamed.

I thought it was the data you see instead of Bing Data, I.e. a custom ground texture that the developer uses instead of the default.

There is a single folder with a ton of these files in. My guess is those are used if you turn Bing data off entirely.

I cant even spawn at EDDM without a CTD

I believe it functions similar to items in the Community folder, if the data stream finds data in an addon folder, it uses the folder’s data, not the default in the stream, displaying the folder scenery with the remaining streamed items. Right now mixing that data together seems to be causing the issue
Renaming the .cgl prevents that.

1 Like

Thanks for the details.
That helps a lot. :metal:
So is this now a long time workaround, or is it expected that this is going to be fixed, so I can revert the renaming?
AND:
Should I perform the renaming for each add-on I have, right?

I suspect all will be well in the next day or so.
Just do those you want to use before then.

1 Like

Same here, ctd all over the way. I bought EDDL, EDDK, EDDM, LSZH scenery via simmarket. I can´t even spawn at any location. CTD, this needs to be fixed by yesterday. Sim is completely useless for so many users.

With 37,000+ airports in the world, having a few fail to load, especially considering there is an easy workaround, I hardly call it useless.