Crash to desktop without error message

Hello everyone. I have a new Dell G5 with an i9 10 core processor and 64 GB of RAM. My video card is an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super. I bought the system specifically to run this game. I can putt around in the 152 without issues and the scenery is wonderful. However, once I am into an IFR flight in any of the big jets I get CTDs each and every time. I have updated my system, reinstalled, changed language packs, changed page file settings, run as admin etc. The CTDs now take longer to occur but still happen pretty much every jet flight. This is a massive disappointment as flying for 40 minutes only to CTD on final is incredibly frustrating. The other issues such as the mesh anomalies around CYKZ and CYOW I can deal with, but the CTDs are ruining the game to the point where I am reluctant to play. One thing I have noticed is that the game will always freeze for about 2 seconds prior to the CTD (but the sound continues). After spending $3000 on the hardware and almost $200 on the program, I certainly hope addressing the CTDs will be given the highest priority by the developers.

1 Like

It’s hard to tell from just this post, but if I was to guess, I believe what you are experiencing may be the Simconnect CTD bug which seems to be affecting a lot of users.
Basically Simconnect becomes unstable the longer the sim is used, and by the amount of data processed by simconnect from devices/programs, etc., that connect to the sim through simconnect.
ASOBO is very aware of the issue, and hopefully the patch will be out soon, rumor has it it could be with the World Update3.
Until that time the less you put through simconnect the more stable it is.
For more info you can do a search in the forums here for: Simconnect CTD

2 Likes

On every flight that I am doing I get a CTD when on the RNAV approach after having flown over an hours flight.
There is no message the sim just freezes and then crashes very annoying and really nothing I can do about it.
I know I am not the only one and many of you out there are suffering the same issue.
Maybe I will try a shorter flight and see what happens.
Anyway, cheers all.

Did you notice my post above?

Of the many crashes I’ve experienced for no apparent reason, the most common time has been when on final, and usually when on a group flight with many other players.

Fortunately I had no crashes today, after 3 hours of flying.

I have been struggling with my setup since Sunday. I have pretty good gear and everything was working flawlessly Saturday. Sunday I had to swap out my mobo because a x16 slot went bad. Thats when the CTD’s at launch started. I’m getting CTD’s 100% of the time at launch whenever I have a game controller connected.
This problem did not exist the night before. Thought the new board had some corner case issue with the USB port, so I replaced the replacement with yet another board. Same CTD at launch. With each board replacement I did a complete reinstall of everything followed with a full Windows update. Maybe I was pulling down an update on Sunday that wasn’t there on Saturday. Do you happen to know when this update was pushed down? I’m completely out of ideas at this point.

I’m getting a crash to desktop mid flight, for the 20th+ time. I’m just downright frustrated at this point. Crash data below.
Source
FlightSimulator.exe

Summary
Stopped working

Date
‎2/‎11/‎2021 10:16 PM

Status
Report sent

Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.12.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: MoAppCrash
Package Full Name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.12.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Application Name: praid:App
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 5fda32ba
Fault Module Name: FlightSimulator.exe
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 5fda32ba
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00000000004c20bc
OS Version: 10.0.19042.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: c7a2
Additional Information 2: c7a24a50f086d8307562a9669bc81c4c
Additional Information 3: 5a82
Additional Information 4: 5a8211f034f105c2ffdb0727aaa6c3fa

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 48b289ad4cc96b1beb7654b729f55169 (1978862231935603049)

I’ve uninstalled the game twice, my windows is up to date, fps limited to 30. Settings reduced. Stock ram speed to oc and back. I know for a fact it’s not my hardware because I have 0 issues with any other game. My specs are
Ryzen 5600x
Msi 3080
x570 elite
32gb of trident z
970 nvme
You spend all this money to be able to play the game at decent frames, and a well known non addressed CTD is holding everyone back. Ridiculous.

1 Like

yep, sure did. still felt I needed to have a say.
You are probably right, so lets hope it gets fixed

1 Like

I had 3 consecutive ctd over the last 2 days.
All flying with a320 with flybywire mod stable ver.
These 3 ctd all occurs when doing rnav star.
However these 3 ctd involves 2 rnav approach and 1 ils approach.
The last time I fly without ctd was on 11 Feb and that one was without any star.
I think the problem may come from rnav star.
But I need more time to prove my theory.

If I launch the game with Thrustmaster 1600m plugged in, it crashes with no error message after the initial loading screen. Have tried everything, reinstalling drivers, reinstalling game, reinstalling windows, and nothing works. Haven’t been able to play the game over a month due to this. Works fine without the joystick being plugged in, crashes as soon as it’s plugged in.

You are seeing the exact same issue as me under the same acenario. I’m glad I’m not the only one. Do me a favor, check your Event Viewer logs under Event Viewer–> Windows Logs → Application. Search for Event ID 1000 and 1001. You’ll likely see the crash logged there.

I do see it, but not sure what to do with this info

I have become the latest culprit of CTD’. Never experiencing one up until now and now experiencing them every time I fly. On Wednesday I removed all add ins and everything from the community folder. 25 minutes in CTD.
So frustrated as I initially thought I was effected by the sim connect issue but it’s obviously not. It’s pretty degrading when you spend 20 minutes setting up a flight then a CTD occurs you have 0 motivation to get things we up again knowing you’re going to run into the same issue! The only thing I can think I have done differently is update to the latest the Nvidia driver. Running a 2080 super along with i9 so nothing to do with spec.

The error code 0xc0000005 is an ‘Access Violation’ error and usually means that some piece of code went into some memory space where it didn’t belong - or something to that effect. A lot of these CTD issues have this error code in common. I don’t know what to do with this info either. I’ve tried for days to ensure I did not have some rougue background process that could potentially interfere with FS2020. Found nothing, but because you and I are having the same problem under the same circumstance, I’m pretty sure it’s a bug in FS2020 or some other Windows update component that got downloaded into my system this past weekend. Tell me about your hardware. Here’s what I have:

Ryzen 7 5800x
Mobo 1: Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII (x570)
Mobo 2: MSI MEG x570 Unify
RTX 3090
Corsair Vengeance (CMW64GX4M2D3600C18) 128GB
OS Win10 (tried both builds 1909 & 2004)
No CPU or GPU Overclock
Tried with both XMP and no XMP

I’ve seen the CTD when plugging in both my Logitech G Pro peddles and my Honeycomb Alpha throttle. I’ve used both ASMedia 3.2 Gen 1 & AMD 3.2 Gen 2 USB ports.

1 Like

That sounds like an older issue, where you have a non-default empty profile I.e. a profile with no bindings. If I remember right, the empty profile must be deleted.

Start the sim with the stick disconnected.
When it’s loaded, plug the stick in.
If it hasn’t crashed go into the control settings, find the stick at the top, and delete every profile for it so only default remains.
Now relaunch the sim with the stick connected to test.
If that works you now build a new profile from the working default one.

Same. This is Joke now

I report that yesterday, I have experienced two consecutive crashes to desktop, without error message. Both crashes happend around the 40th minute from entering the cockpit. It was with the C172.

What changed compared to the days before, is:
A. First time flying the C172
B. Added some community scenery mods
C. Installed legacy SimConnect for specific hardware

My plan is to test the same flights with a different a/c model with which I have flown >40min flights without any crash. If still crashing, I’ll reïnstall to a clean FS2020 and do iterative testing on the mods and next the SimConnect.

System:
Ryzen 3700X (overclocked 4.3GHz)
32GB 3200-CL14 (overclocked 3600-CL15)
RTX 2080 Super
X570 chipset
850W gold
No issues with this config on other sims/games or video rendering >6 hours

Trust me reinstall doesnt fix.Done that 3 times the last 2 days… I rolled my GPU driver back. That seems to have helped and i get more flying time before the CTD

1 Like

Roger. GPU drivers have not changed on my side. The day before yesterday everything was fine in a 60 minute flight, although in another a/c and with lesser mods installed.

1 Like

Do you have the Honey Comb Bravo? It seems to have gone hay wire with it since this started. Throttle 2 no longer works