Crash to desktop without error message

I had been playing and logged 50 hours without any issues until I stopped playing for a few months, didn’t change anything to my PC and now the game wont even load. It crashes to desktop after showing a black screen and the small loading circle in the bottom right hand corner for 5 seconds and then it closes. I am playing through Steam and have done all the recommended troubleshooting and done a clean install with no luck.

Got the runtime error again out of the blue today after a few successful flights. Just rolling the die when it comes to finishing a flight. I can go days without a crash and then it’ll crash 20 minutes into a flight.

can you check the Windows Event Viewer ?

In case you see within the error message something like “grammar.pggmod” it points to a map issue at these coords.

I am getting CTDs too since the latest World Update(s). I used to be able to load a flight in my home city and other surrounding areas, not anymore. Same PC / Same settings with and without add-ons

Edit: This is the error I am getting with the CTDs

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x60783c14
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.928, time stamp: 0x9bed63d6
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000063416
Faulting process id: 0x1e50
Faulting application start time: 0x01d73f57e3a48752
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.15.8.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 3f5080fd-76ea-4d28-a7bb-d4f2badce87f
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.15.8.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: FlightSimulator.exe, Version: 1.15.8.0, Zeitstempel: 0x00000000
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: grammar.pggmod, Version: 76.0.0.3, Zeitstempel: 0x6062f188
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
Fehleroffset: 0x00000000042d5a96
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x13d4
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d73e947b8f73fd
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: F:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Chucky\FlightSimulator.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: \?\F:\FS2020\Official\Steam\bf-pgg\PGG\grammar.pggmod
Berichtskennung: cfcc00ab-01b8-4b27-a235-5b5f510eb1fb

yep… this is then definitiv a issue with the map and I assume each of us can 100% recreate the CTD at these position. Have you a “specific route” to reach the crarsh-points or coords?

Have you already created a ZenDesk ticket so that “developers” are informed about ?

EDIT:
I tried two times OPOK → OPFA and both times

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: FlightSimulator.exe, Version: 1.15.8.0, Zeitstempel: 0x00000000
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: grammar.pggmod, Version: 76.0.0.3, Zeitstempel: 0x6062f188
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
…Simulator\Packages\Official\Steam\bf-pgg\PGG\grammar.pggmod

Not sure about the exact same position.

im getting errors as well mostly CTD :frowning:
here the issues in event viewer

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x60783c14
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x60783c14
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000b36230
Faulting process id: 0x3138
Faulting application start time: 0x01d74058b940924c
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.15.8.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.15.8.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: 4357b953-aa9b-4623-b99c-a4ddffab00a3
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.15.8.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

I think it’s a known bug since last December, and related to Blackshark.ai. Switch the buildings to low in graphics options to avoid the CTD.

2 Likes

When you talk about a December version, is it the version out of memory at the end of December, compatible with VR? Because with this version, I never had a CTD in a period of 2 months. I don’t remember if there were any updates during these 2 months. But all I know is that for 2 months, I played with everything in Ultra, with my RX 6800 XT @ 2700MHz and my Ryzen with a Dark Rock Pro 4 @ 4.3Gz with 0 CTD.

Does this Blackshark.ai only concern Nvidia cards, or also AMD GPUs, and could these CTDs, at least some could be caused following an update of this Blackshark.ai?

There have been a few areas that cause a CTD, as as mentioned the workaround was to lower autograph quality.

We revisited one such place a few months after it had been reported, and the issue was still there. I don’t know about now though.

At least I realize I’m not alone with the CTD issue. My flight to SBCJ ended each time I tried shortly before or after landing. Annoying though…

I am so sick of screen freezes, with sound still going, and CTDs, I decided to bite the bullet today and uninstall and reinstall MSFS. If this continues with the new install, I think I am going to give up on MSFS. I ran P3D for years with about 3 crashes in the entire time.

1 Like

Many of us have reinstalled MSFS several times, and we’re all at the same point.
Since update 1.15.7 and even the following ones, I think I must have done 3 or 4 hours of flight (Always ended by CTDs)
I gave up, and I devote my time to something else, even if I always follow the news on the forum, which unfortunately does not bring any hope …

2 Likes

As an update from my side, I must say that since I set up V-Sync enabled and Rolling cache limit to 32Gb , the CTDs are drastically dropped, at the expense of a few fps drop.
Now insted of crashing I’m experimenting huge FPS drops like 50fps to 9-10 in Ultra settings, with an abnormal RAM and page file usage (30 of 32gb ram), and almost all CPU cores and GPU idling.
It’s like that before without VSync in this situation the GPU and CPU go “out of synchronization”.

It is really hopeless. Since I decided to get back to FS my blood pressure has increased drastically. I don’t blame you for giving up. You can’t even fly the sim. I have an empty community folder since the addons don’t work anyway. One minute into a flight - it could be one hour, on the taxiway, in the air, in a plain scenery with only one tree and a shovel, it really doesn’t matter it goes bang! CTD! all your time wasted. I have started asking myself if it is even worth it.

3 Likes

I am now getting them now non stop. Will start removing community mods or my gpu overclock.

Just turn of mp and ctd’s will be gone.

It’s not that simple. There are many sources of CTD’s.

1 Like

I never have used MP, still had screen freezes and CTDs, the screen freezes getting worse and worse. Just finished a reinstall, going to try and fly it tonight. If this ■■■■ continues, P3D may find itself another customer.

1 Like

I finally found out the source of a CTD, now i have an issue i have only 10 fps left after a while “limited by CoherentGTDraw” and while troubleshooting that i got another CTD with again completely different symptoms as the last one.

I love this sim but it’s making me crazy now, i’m only fixing isssues instead of flying.