Crash to desktop without error message

If you disabled XMP and have no other overclocks, it’s either hardware, a bad use of storage systems or Windows itself depending on what changes have been made to your system (and that includes by any anti virus). Download and run Memtest86 to see that your ram is not misfireing.

Things you might still try
set a not too large rolling cache on the same drive as your install and let windows manage virtual memory also on that drive and if that’s not enough you will still need to have at least 30GB spare capacity just to keep windows from reorganising.
For now you should if possible have Community and Official on that drive but if you have moved them you should view the UserCfg.opt file to check that they are linked.

Bios update, motherboard resources updates, Windows update including optional and if you still have problems a full from scratch Windows install so any data will need backing up to a different drive and unplugged from the system to be safe (not forgetting to ‘write down’ any encryption keys you might need later (usb stick)).

Really that about all I can suggest that hasn’t been already.

Thank you for this tip! I deleted over 150,000 files, about 4 GB.

My situation is the same as MaxxaMTrash.

After installing the NVidia 471.68 (2070Super) drivers, I was able to make a three-hour tour in the simulator (including flights and working with the editor). Which is much longer and better than the 50 flights of 1 minute in the previous two weeks.

Of course, there is always the possibility of a coincidence or a Placebo effect, but let’s hope for the best. (Just in case, I made a few more test flights before I wrote this message).

Well, you already understood everything, right?

The next morning, again flights for one minute :laughing:

By the way, MaxxaMTrash.

Is your situation stabilized? or how is mine?

One day later:
I was happy too soon. I was just about to fly another lap from Innsbruck over Mont Blanc to Nice. Less than 30 seconds on the world map and I have a CTD. The game is still unplayable.

Same issue like @Chuckson892794 and @VioletKnight255
I always get CTD. Everytime the error is the same:

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000001a12757
Faulting process id: 0x6cc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d78f5591235016
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.18.15.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.18.15.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: 07045f34-49b2-4175-81e2-f40c2d722e65
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.18.15.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

1 Like

Cuspidflyer, welcome to the forum. I understand your frustration not being able to start your simulator, I am sure this problem will be overcome for you so just ‘hang in there’ for the moment.

The latest Win10 update addresses a performance problem with ‘Game Mode’ and fixes it as well as addressing a problem that stops some games from starting. Here is a link to my posting about this…

I suggest you read this posting which is very good, I have linked to this before, but just in case you missed it…

BilingualHarp7 who has posted below your post, is one of many who are following this CTD problem in detail, watch his and others postings.

Keep up-to-date by following the posts and do not be afraid to ask asking questions, there is some great helpers in this forum. Enjoy your time in the forum.

BRGDS. Charles

1 Like

I was happy too early.

But you and I can be understood - so I want to hope for a miracle after absolutely terrible torment in an attempt to solve the problem with the disgusting SU5.

If it’s a pattern, point 2 should not be there, at least not described as a pattern. Each CTD is a result of something for which you have to find the source and then describe the findings.

Substitute the word pattern with category or type then.

This game is driving me crazy. Now I was able to make a nice flight from Innsbruck to Nice without interruption.

I updated all drivers and the BIOS and disabled game mode and hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling.

Looks like it’s working now. We’ll wait and see if it stays that way …

:grinning: :upside_down_face: :neutral_face: :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :woozy_face:

2 Likes

Just had my first actual crash in flight, from Courhevel to Meribel. I had just rebooted after installing KB5005033.

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Fault offset: 0x000000000133b710
Faulting process ID: 0x2b50
Faulting application start time: 0x01d78fbbce9b8152
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.18.15.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.18.15.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report ID: 3f473b30-3b51-4ba0-8d39-5b71c97e3376
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.18.15.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Even after hotfix #2, the game still CTD right after pressing the Fly button and I have no custom stuff.
Perhaps 3 times the charm… :rofl:

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.18.15.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.18.15.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Fault offset: 0x00000000026b50b8
Faulting process id: 0x3830
Faulting application start time: 0x01d78fc20924cedb
Faulting application path: D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: bddd5bd4-8a39-4f0f-9ad7-8cb2f5f98ff7
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Just had another crash. I was redoing the flight above, and just as I landed at Megeve LFHM I crashed.

Application: FlightSimulator.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 00007FF668AB6120

Fault offset: 0x0000000000ce6120
Faulting process ID: 0x34d4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d78fbf66b7e227
Report ID: e0398723-f425-49ef-9ead-3fecc18bc791

I just checked for Windows updates, and had another one appear:

It looks like its just a Service Stack Update of some kind.

I don’t know if it’s airports in general or just mods but even in Superspud’s relatively small EGNS I get a sudden 5-6 frame drop which is so unlike my system, over whole towns I lose 4 or 5 but that’s in about 0.2 increments as I approach them. And I can’t say I’ve noticed it in the default airport which is just pretty basic A.I.

1 Like

Don‘t know if it helps anyone, but I was interested to see what happens if I purposely break an AI generic aircraft/use one that is not SU5 compatible (my settings use generic aircraft for multiplayer). First tried to load at the relatively large Paris airport where lots of planes should spawn. I had a CTD just before the final loading screen finished. Then I tried starting from a small airport and flying into a larger one. Had the CTD on final, when the faulty plane loaded in. The event viewer shows 0xc0…05 error. In conclusion MSFS seems relatively sensitive, resulting in direct CTDs instead of just not loading the problematic aircraft or giving an indication where the problem is located. In the end the results were kind of expected, but I was curious what kind of error the event viewer would show…

Yep… same experience here. Except that the CTD can occur any time between clicking ‘Fly’ and ‘Fly now’ (i.e. during the flight loading process). The CTD is also very intermittent, occurring perhaps 20%) of the time. In addition, I have not experienced a CTD once in the cockpit and flying. The issue only arose for me too following SU5. The apparent random nature of the problem makes me wonder whether it’s server related.

I have the Caravan C208b CTD’ing 9 out of 10 times. When switching to a Cessna 152 no problems. Anyone with the same issue?

0000005 means nothing, I got one by deliberately running an increased vram clock on my gpu with Afterburner. Either it got too hot for which I got no alarms or my MB wasn’t instructed to supply enough voltage … which makes most sense as I didn’t increase it (can’t increase it).

0000005 is not tied to MSFS but your hardware with power supply being the most obvious.
Make sure your power settings are set to high performance.

I don’t think that is entirely correct. I flew for an entire week with no issues. Then I installed KB5005033, and I had two flights after that, and both ended with a CTD. Before the patch was installed, I had flown a couple of test flights around San Francisco with no issues either, it only happened after the reboot.

Now I was flying in completely different areas in those three sessions, so the patch my likely have nothing to do with it. The flights with crashes were taking off from Courchevel, heading to Meribel. Curiously both crashes happened as I entered its vicinity. The first was taking a shortcut over the mountains, and I was about a mile out, and several thousand feet above it. The second time I took the usual route, turning left, then right down that long descending valley, then turning right to line up with runway 2. Just as I touched down, or within a second or two, it crashed.

Meribel doesn’t care that I have an EVGA 1600W Platinum PSU. It’s too much coincidence that I had the issue in the same location. This may be one of those cases where I have to clear out my scenery cache. Before I do that though, tonight I will try spawning there instead.

I had a similar issue to this a while back when WU5 came out. I couldn’t complete the landing challenge at the time as I my sim would crash just before I spawned in. Similarly, flying in from the East about 10 miles away, when I got near that airport the sim crashed. I then tried a different approach, over the sea from the West. For some reason that worked, and I was even able to land there. I could then load the landing challenge! That seemed like something had got updated or deleted, and that’s kind of what it seemed like last night.

So in conclusion, error 0xc0000005 is absolutely tied to MSFS as I don’t have a single other piece of software installed that does this.

You could make the argument that it something else, like Motherboard, Memory or Processor. Well over a week ago I swapped all those components out as part of an upgrade, and was flying fine until those two flights last night. Buying another pair of fault memory modules would be extremely unlucky. :slight_smile:

It’s not overheating either as I use a watercooler, for the CPU at least, and the highest I’ve seen it get to is about 57C. The GPU, a 3090 FE, usually peaks around 47-50 IIRC.

I get what you’re saying, it’s likely a data read error that can occur for both obscure and obvious reasons. Could be hardware or could be an actual bug.

2 Likes