Crash to desktop without error message

That’s a part of the Nvidia driver. I don’t know which version you have installed, but you could consider upgrading this.

This is the one I get whenever I experience a crash. It’s an access violation, and likely one for Asobo to solve. The executable is trying to access memory it shouldn’t, and it then falls over.

I read somewhere that one possible workaround was to disable Windows 10’s Data Execution Prevention (DEP), but I’m not doing that for the only program I have installed that crashes.

But it is possible to configure exceptions:

1 Like

@hobanagerik

Hi.

I’m using the 465.89 driver, cleanly installed using DDU process to remove older driver first.

I’m not convinced that these newer drivers following release of 30 series cards are a particularly good fit with the previous cars such as my 2080ti, so I’ll go back to an older driver I know to be good.

Like you, I would not be willing to disable DEP just because this one program is a bag of dodgy code.

1 Like

I think this is the correct approach here. There’s no point in trying the dozens of crazy workarounds that are out there aiming to correct just one application, when MSFS can crash for a thousand different reasons and for most people it’s the only problematic app in their PCs. We should be all pushing towards the dev team finally creating a stable product, rather than us going in circles or experimenting with very unreasonable “workarounds”.

It’s beyond me why some people (who obviously for whatever reason have had no issues) reply and say “get on with it, this is what software is about, it can be buggy”. I wonder if it were a car or a smartphone or a TV they owned, would they say the same or would they be suing for a replacement or a refund?

That’s why it’s so disheartening to read about world updates and eye candy improvements, when the major bugs that have been in the top of the feedback list for so many months are still unaddressed.

4 Likes

Well the 6600k exceeds the minimum spec but again we come back to you blaming the hardware rather than the software. Why did they even release a minimum spec if it’s seemingly irrelevant?

Min Spec according to willis: Who knows? Just keep buying hardware until it works.

1 Like

Not sure about the minimum specs anyway, I remember when I first tried MSFS via gamepass a few days after its release. I had an ancient setup (i5-2500k, R9 290X, 16GB etc) so I just thought the game wouldn’t even run and that would be the end of it.

On the contrary I logged almost 200 hours with that setup and it was quite decent at 1440p with medium quality graphics (around 25fps which increased to 35+ at high altitudes or even on the ground after I decided changed my scaling to around 80-90). They may not sound a lot, but when you’re flying almost exclusively IFR especially at night, fps doesn’t matter that much, perhaps only during landings in IMC.

A CPU upgrade to 5600X w/32GB didn’t make a huge difference as the main bottleneck was the GPU anyway.

It almost comes as a joke that all my CTD issues began when I upgraded to a 6800XT. But the card itself is fine, as it hasn’t thrown a single issue in all other games I’ve tried (from visual ■■■■ like Valheim to CB2077). So at this point I’m 100% certain the only issues are with software. It may not be MSFS alone but an uncommon combination of h/w, drivers and MSFS but given that so many people seem to be having issues and that the game can crash for thousands of different reasons (from liveries, to overclocking, to 3rd party apps or addons, to desktop overlays like discord/xbox game pass etc), I can’t imagine why this isn’t an issue with the sim itself.

1 Like

I have played since the release of the version compatible with the VR in December 2020, until the beginning of March 2021 with the RX 6800 XT without any small CTD.

Don’t know why I reply to some of these. There are plenty of users, genuinely interested in getting help in finding the best combination of settings for their system. Then there are those that have no interest in finding a way to enjoy their purchase even in a limited setup, but would rather continue to remind us that we have been sold a bill of goods and it is not our responsibility to help ourselves as best we can, but the responsibility of the developer to tailor the software to our wants.

Shouldn’t rant but I did. Sorry.

Now, let’s be clear @SirBloke, I did not place blame on the hardware or the software. I don’t place blame. The minimum spec is NOT irrelevant. It is a measure of the level you can run the sim at and the performance you should expect.

Read into this what ever you would like, but do not put words in my name that are not actual quotes. Your paraphrasing and interpretations do not reflect what I believe. I am here because there is useful information that I can offer that helps those that are interested.

1 Like

:+1:
I love reading your little missives…
There is a lot of “wisdom born of pain”, as Helen Reddy once sang. You don’t also happen to write poetry, too, do you?
:joy:

1 Like

:wink: I try to, everytime I post here. The hope is to bring a little levity and joy to this dark place. :wink:

1 Like

Huckily you don’t know everything.

THAT is one, humongous “hope”! I wish you all the luck in the world!
:rofl:

2 Likes

Just CTD’d twice with 787 and then A32NX FBW. Both at the end of about an hour and a half flight.

New system AMD 7 5800X, EVGA 3080 FTW, 64 mb ram, M2 2TB C drive, ROG Dark Hero MB. Ran fine and then started CTD when I selected the departure airport. Didn’t matter which plane or airport I selected. Did all the usual in the troubleshooting section. (commentary: totally stupid that we have to resort to a shotgun try this, try that approach to fix this. Where is the error reporting Bill Gates?). I deleted the program and reloaded it and it ran fine for a while and then started crashing it again. I thought it was the FlyByWire A320 mod so I deinstalled that, no joy. I finally went into the Flight Conditions menu and disabled Multiplayer and Live Traffic. So far so good. I will fly it a while and add in one at a time to see which one is doing it. I am running live weather so right now my settings are: Off(Group Only), Off, and Live.

Just going to fill in for willisxdc here. I know you’ve got a good new system there but have you considered contacting China to see if they have any 2nd hand supercomputers for sale because this most certainly can’t be a software issue and your system is clearly at fault for this.

In all seriousness though, do let us know if deactivating half the software’s features actually improves stability for you or whether it’s still a shambles. Cheers.

1 Like

The guy arrives with his “little” AMD 7 5800X, his “small” EVGA 3080 FTW, and with “only” 64MB of RAM, and after that he doesn’t understand why it is not working properly.

And I’m sure he hasn’t even read the book: “How to Become a Computer Engineer in 10 Lessons”

@maxwelltl until you can afford a more efficient computer, you will have to revise ALL the software settings downwards.
In the meantime, you can buy yourself a box of tissues to dry your tears.

1 Like

let me anticipate for it: it won’t.

1 Like

Finally past the loading screen, at 31 FPS at 4k! Thanks to this thread!

2 Likes

Can’t stop getting the VCruntime140.dll error. Tried reinstalling at and ran the SFC. Still continues to crash. Gotta shelf the sim till it gets fixed I guess

Did you try ensuring you only have a single version of the C++ Runtimes? That error has nothing to do with the sim itself, but some supporting libraries.

Sure sounds like a Windows issue, to me.
Have you tried a DISM restore?