Crash to desktop without error message

I set-out to make my working simulator CTD. I succeeded as I said earlier. I have now managed to reverse the mess I created and no longer have the CTD issue that I deliberately created.

What I have learnt, and the things I did to get my simulator running again from my attempts to create deliberate CTD’s.

1. If right clicking on the properties of the MSFS 2020 .exe and selecting ‘Run as Administrator’ this will cause a certain CTD on starting the simulator. Here is the error code/notification below…

It appears that choosing the option to run as administrator is no longer supported.

1. Important: make sure that you have more than 10GB of free-space on your C:/ drive even if you have a page-file on another drive as I do. I have created extra space.

Right click your C:/ drive and clean the Windows partition of all the junk files. Remove all the old ‘Windows Update’ files to create more space by selecting the ‘system clean option’.

3. Make sure that from the ‘General Settings’ that the cockpit mouse interaction is set to ‘Legacy’ mode and not ‘Lock’. This may work for some people as this is something new Asobo introduced in this latest version, (SU5).

This finding has been confirmed by Molleron.

1. Turn off system restore, it has been known to cause stutters in previous versions of simulators. It may be fixed now!

2. I removed ORBX ‘seafront-sightseeing-vessels-channelisland’ and ‘seafront-sightseeing-vessels-core’ from the ‘Community Folder’

I removed both the A32NX and flybywire-aircraft-a320, short-cuts created by MSFSAdd-on Linker in the ‘Community Folder’ .

The above A320’s finding has now been confirmed as a cause of CTD’s for some.

I removed ‘MSF Addon Collector Settings.ac’ from the ‘Community File’

I Have done this experimentation in a hurry, rather than make just ONE change at a time I have made several, (not the best way or analytical was of doing things). I cannot pin down precisely how I managed to create the CTD issue, (when pressing the ‘Fly’ button). I thought it might be enabling Windows System Restore.

I did manage to get the simulator working and I found that if I loaded the last scenario where the simulator crashed, returning to that scenario would still cause the simulator to crash from that scenario where it crashed originally. In my case it was the Discovery flight over London.
TRY CHANGING TO ANOTHER SCENARIO rather trying to load the one which might be causing your CTD.

After taking the measures listed above, I now have a working simulator again and can now take the Discovery flight over London.

I have unequivocally deliberately managed to get my simulator to crash repeatedly and revert back/fix my problem but remember this is my PC and flight simulator.

If you are having repeated CTD’s then please try to follow what I did to get my simulator running again, it may help someone.

I will now add-back one-by-one the addons I removed to ascertain if there is one that is causing the problem.

Here is a screen-shot of my working simulator using the Discovery New York scenario. Bear in mind I am using an old i72600K with a GTX 1070OC and I am getting superb performance now with this latest rendition of this simulator. It can be done, hang-in there, I feel your pain however, I don’t think it will be too long before most people are offered a solution.

I have tried to help you by approaching this problem from a different angle, by creating CTD’s.
I could be more analytical in my approach alas, it’s a question of time. But here are my findings above discovered by my experimentation. Perhaps some of you might be encouraged to try this approach and report back in this thread, what you experienced and your findings… Maybe there is an adventurous third-party developer who might be inspired to try this approach to fault finding for us. :grinning:

BRGDS. Charles.

REMEMBER: Make sure you set an exception in your anti-virus to exclude scanning all the key MSFS folders. You dont want your AV to scan the files that are being used while you are flying!

I have reported the ‘Lock’ mode CTD issue to Microsoft to make them aware that this is a problem feature at the moment for some.

Charles.

6 Likes

5 minutes into the game, couldn’t even take off. Keep up the “great” work Asobo.

Nazwa aplikacji powodującej błąd: FlightSimulator.exe, wersja: 0.0.0.0, sygnatura czasowa: 0x00000000
Nazwa modułu powodującego błąd: FlightSimulator.exe, wersja: 0.0.0.0, sygnatura czasowa: 0x00000000
Kod wyjątku: 0xc0000005
Przesunięcie błędu: 0x0000000001a123c7
Identyfikator procesu powodującego błąd: 0x2200
Godzina uruchomienia aplikacji powodującej błąd: 0x01d786edc5096f86
Ścieżka aplikacji powodującej błąd: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.18.14.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Ścieżka modułu powodującego błąd: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.18.14.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Identyfikator raportu: 329bc850-c549-41a0-92e3-63584fe7e721
Pełna nazwa pakietu powodującego błąd: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.18.14.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Identyfikator aplikacji względem pakietu powodującego błąd: App

Pakiet błędów 1514158318975717276, typ 5
Nazwa zdarzenia: MoAppCrash
Odpowiedź: Niedostępny
Identyfikator pliku CAB: 0

Podpis problemu:
P1: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.18.14.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
P2: praid:App
P3: 0.0.0.0
P4: 00000000
P5: FlightSimulator.exe
P6: 0.0.0.0
P7: 00000000
P8: c0000005
P9: 0000000001a123c7
P10:

Dołączone pliki:
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER99B6.tmp.dmp
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER9D51.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER9D61.tmp.xml
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER9D6F.tmp.csv
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER9D80.tmp.txt

Te pliki mogą być dostępne tutaj:
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_Microsoft.Flight_2d40d434ed8072c79d1ed17c75ae413c650db6_652e0ba4_b24f75a5-8bad-487b-9e0e-0532e854298f

Symbol analizy:
Ponowne wyszukiwanie rozwiązania: 0
Identyfikator raportu: 329bc850-c549-41a0-92e3-63584fe7e721
Stan raportu: 268435456
Wartość skrótu pakietu: 7d2d5d9219c50cd875035ef800400f9c
Identyfikator GUID pliku CAB: 0

Pakiet błędów , typ 0
Nazwa zdarzenia: LiveKernelEvent

Podpis problemu:
P1: 141
P2: ffffad85f06f1010
P3: fffff804344d6958
P4: 0
P5: 2200
P6: 10_0_19043
P7: 0_0
P8: 256_1
P9:
P10:

Dołączone pliki:
\?\C:\WINDOWS\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG\WATCHDOG-20210801-1812.dmp
\?\E:\TEMP\WER-29266468-0.sysdata.xml
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERA4C2.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERA4D3.tmp.xml
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERA4D4.tmp.csv
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERA4E4.tmp.txt

\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\Kernel_141_879e16426b2127a11228eaff99149f2b9e4c16c8_00000000_ece4ccd8-9434-4a26-ba1d-23f8c105b757

Symbol analizy:
Identyfikator raportu: ece4ccd8-9434-4a26-ba1d-23f8c105b757
Stan raportu: 4
Wartość skrótu pakietu:

Pakiet błędów , typ 0
Nazwa zdarzenia: LiveKernelEvent

Podpis problemu:
P1: 141
P2: ffffad85f06f1010
P3: fffff804344d6958
P4: 0
P5: 2200
P6: 10_0_19043
P7: 0_0
P8: 256_1
P9:
P10:

Dołączone pliki:
\?\C:\WINDOWS\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG\WATCHDOG-20210801-1812.dmp
\?\E:\TEMP\WER-29266468-0.sysdata.xml
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERA4C2.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERA4D3.tmp.xml
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERA4D4.tmp.csv
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERA4E4.tmp.txt

\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Kernel_141_879e16426b2127a11228eaff99149f2b9e4c16c8_00000000_cab_ece4ccd8-9434-4a26-ba1d-23f8c105b757

Symbol analizy:
Identyfikator raportu: ece4ccd8-9434-4a26-ba1d-23f8c105b757
Stan raportu: 2049
Wartość skrótu pakietu:

I am still trying to create CTD’s…

CURSOR ACCELERATION speed settings, (X2 options available) within the ‘Accessibility Options’.

I have just discovered that changing these settings from anything other than the default ‘7’ causes a CTD for me on pressing ‘Fly’!

I HAVE NOW CONFIRMED THIS as an issue on my system by multiple testing!

I need to make sure the cursor settings are default and cockpit interactions are set to ‘Legacy’ to avoid CTD’s The default for cockpit interactions is ‘Lock’.

Charles.

2 Likes

First I have to say: I had nearly no CTDs in the sim over the past months. And since the last update - i have them at a regular basis. Yes, the performance improvement is great, but it cannot be that this comes at the price of unpredictable CTDs. I mean what a software is this that crashes without any error message…? I just did 5 attempts to fly with the stock A320 from Naples to Catania. First three attempts I had CTDs just right before the loading progress bar after click on “Fly” was nearly finished. The next two attempts I was able to get into the cockpit (cold & dark) and start the engines and taxi to the rwy. Then CTD during the take off roll at the first time and at the secon time i had the CTD just some seconds after take off. If it at least always would be at the same time or when doing the same thing in the simulator, but it CTDs out of nothing completely unpredictable. I am realy a patient person and I understand that software is a complex thing…but this realy makes me angry and upset. I am not the test person for Microsoft or Asobo and i am not willing to try dozens of settings in my windows installation to get this simulator running. That is not my job - it is the job of the developers and the companies that are paying them to release a software that is running stable…this is payware and as a paying customer I expect the software to run stable.

6 Likes

I simply cannot get more than about three to four minutes into a flight without a CTD. Almost never had them prior to SU5. It just wasn’t an issue for me before.

I have tried an empty community folder. I updated my graphics drivers. Windows is up to date. I tried turning off traffic and ATC. Nothing works.

I will just have to wait for another hot fix as the sim is useless for me in this condition.

5 Likes

I use Xbox Series X and CTD during initial load at ~80%. I’ve heard of others in a similar situation, where logging out and using a different Microsoft account helped. I personally only have one account and this is not really a practical solution for most. However it does indicate that very frequent or load-time CTD’s where turning off AI or reinstalling doesn’t help don’t because it’s actually an authentication or game account problem.

I’ve also heard of speculation that the Game Pass edition may be even more suspectile to these crashers?

Did you try to disable Rolling Cache? How much free space do you have?

Also having a similar issue. Cannot get simulator to load, and crashes on blue bar after checking for updates. Posted about it here (also applies to 1.18.14.0 hotfix version:

Community folder empty, all drivers and windows up to date. Everything up until this point has been annoying but with workarounds. But this is something else entirely, and I feel like I’m out of options, like so many others. MOD EDIT: removed discussion about legal activity.

1 Like

The suggestion is to use legacy mode for mouse input after simupdate 5 default interaction mode changed to something more controller compatible. It has nothing to do with legacy flight model. Two different things

2 Likes

The only thing I can collect from all the error messages I’ve got in event viewer is that my crashes are GPU related.
I’ve talked to NVIDIA about the nvlddmkm crash message in event viewer, and they find it hard to find a solution. This is probably a memory leak of some kind, or something corrupting the GPU.

I’ve even reinstalled Windows and my GPU driver, to no avail.
And btw the new stable and optional windows update solved nothing for me.

So I’m 99% certain that all of our PCs are fine, this is ASOBOs fault (duh)

I’m running an i5 7600k 4,2 GHz and RTX 3070 8gb

6 Likes

I’ve had rolling cache both on and off. Both drives have an enormous amount of free space. I haven’t tried timing it, but the CTD seems very consistent in terms of being about 3-4 minutes into each flight. I have tried different continents to see if it was location related, but no.

2 Likes

Great to hear other people are experimenting too. There is a software tool which can mitigate memory leaks, l have mentioned it in one of my posts but not in this thread, l cannot recall its name. I will edit it in to this post with a link shortly…

Charles.

Thats because this isn’t a solution. I have done this and it still crashes in main menu less than 2 minutes from launch. Maybe the reason nobody “takes notice” is because it doesn’t work.

Congratulations, you found a different error than what most are experiencing. I am having CTD’s with a fresh install and a completely empty community folder and completely vanilla official folder. Windows and GFX drivers are completely up to date. More than 10gb free on C drive, and no FBW (completely vanilla installation). Again, this is literally crashing within 2 minutes on a clean install when I had 0 CTD’s prior to this “Land Anywhere” update.

2 Likes

Removing FBW and anything associated with the 320X and 320 did it for me. I’m a 78X and F-15 guy, so it didn’t bother me to get rid of it all. My sim has been running like a dream since. Hope you get it solved soon!

2 Likes

I have completely clean folders for both community and official. I doubt that the FBW is really it as its not currently on my PC and other people are currently flying it under the new update and identifying other types of issues here: Issues · flybywiresim/a32nx · GitHub. Thank you for the good wishes though.

Crazy times. 'Just knocked out another test flight from ZSSS to RJTT. Perfect. I even hit 70+ FPS on it with completely maxed settings. I suspect we’ll get another hotfix soon if lots of people are still crashing. If you have clean folders, I’m stumped.

2 Likes

Yup we better get another hotfix that actually ya know fixes things… I have tried everything that has been recommended by forum members, zendesk, and the CTD topics here and absolutely nothing works. Constant CTD 100% of time when I click Fly. They better be on this as there are so many frustrated customers.

7 Likes

Thanks! That is what seems to have solved CTD for me… so far. I’m more of a F4 kinda guy.

After latest update 5 and hotfix I have experienced one CTD about every 4 flights. I notice that I start having stutters and lower FPS (from locked 60 v-sync to 45~51 fps) before each CTD.