Crash to desktop without error message

I usually overclock my gpu memory but that always incudes an overnight burn-in test which has always been a good indicator however recently I’ve had to wind it back to near default again. At least my CL14 PC-3200 ram is still behaving itself at 3600Mhz.

Another CTD in Microsoft Crash Simulator

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.21.18.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.21.18.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000002140238
Faulting process id: 0x1bb8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d809f27598aa13
Faulting application path: M:\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: M:\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: 2226e4fa-a24a-4b71-81f7-6f5b7f8e5ce0
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Community folder empty? Any external programs interacting with the sim?

Try clearing your Direct X cache out after making sure your video card drivers are current.

i flashed the latest AGESA 1.2.0.5 Bios and installed the latest AMD Radeon Software and NOT had a crash to desktop since then!
It would be so great if it stays like this! :grimacing:
My HP reverb G2 still suffered from the x570 USB bug, so hopefully the 1.2.0.5 AGESA finally did the trick. I’ll report back :rofl:

msfs-addons
GCS0491

1 Like

Probably the most common cause (or at least reported cause) of CTD’s in MSFS, but this really tells us very little about what really was the cause of the attempt to make an invalid memory access.

Even if you get a FULL CRASH DUMP, and analyze it (as a user), you still don;t have the necessary source data, to stand any chance of actually finding what really caused the issue.

I have set my PC to produce full Crash Dumps when I get a CTD (in MSFS or any other program) - I sometimes analyze those dumps, and can often see exactly where the crash occurred, but it is seldom possible to determine the exact cause.

Very often it is an unhandled exception, that in Hindsight might have been able to have been handled, and not end up with the CTD, but the reason is often elusive.

I am pretty sure that full crash dumps are NOT automatically being sent back to MS (or Asobo) by MSFS – for multiple reasons including user Permission to do so,

Fortunately, my system now seems to be remarkably stable, and I now seldom, if ever, get a CTD, especially as I have stopped using certain addons that seem to be a frequent cause of CTDs.

I am however, now in a situations where, while the sim can run for many many Hours without crashing,( not crashing at all) it now runs long enough that the reducing FPS is the major issue I am facing, and so far, with no solution (or known fundamental cause known).

Some recent test, have indicated that sometimes, switching to OFFINE, flying, and then switch back to ONLINE, will restore the original FPS, and as a temporary measure, if that works, I can live with that slight disruption, till Asobo locates and fixes the fundamental cause of the FPS reduction issue.

Current MSFS Satisfaction Meter : GOOD :+1:

3 Likes

While the causes of CTD’s vary, I believe that one simmer will always have them. I am now running the sim O/C’d and my frame rates are ok. Going into a heavily populated area like N.Y. will give me a few stutters but for the most park, its OK.

The CTDs started for me again on a long flight, i don’t know if it’s location or duration based or none of both.

Very frustrating we’re not getting any error messages or way to find out what is the cause.
And because i CTDed 2 times yesterday after 4 hours of flight, it’s very hard do reproduce if i need 4 hours for every test.

1 Like

I assume they were those 0xc0000005 ones?

Yes and a “Instruction at Referenced Memory Could Not Be Read” popup, which can be caused be 1001 reasons. But it started yesterday, it could be the FBW, it could be the location (somewhere above Egypt at FL390). But for sure it’s impossible to figure out because it may happen after hours so you cant change planes and install/uninstall addons to figure that out because life is too short.

What I did was chop away all 3PD stuff one by one until I got my stability back. I don’t get crashes now, or at least extremely rarely, and when I have I can explain why. My most recent was my first time using the dev. mode flight recorder. It crashed as I was playing back a recording. The one before that was when I had LNM tracking my flight.

Before this I was surprised if I had two flights in a row where I didn’t crash at least once. Back then I flew the Arrow a lot, and had both the 530, and 750 mods installed. Not using any of those probably eliminated 90% of my crashes. I think one possible issue that at the time I eliminated was to not have both GPS mods installed at the same time. Switching between them meant one of them had to be loaded as you cycled past it, and I think that may have been a possible cause.

As of maybe 3-4 months ago I don’t use Volanta, I don’t use LNM to track my flights, only plan, I don’t have any third party GPS mods installed, only the NXi, and I get no crashes.

I’ve flown like this for so long I can consider this configuration my baseline for stability. Any changes that upset this equilibrium will be easy to detect if I introduce changes one by one.

1 Like

Yes i always try to reset everything how it was before but that rarely helps. I get rid of all addons and start from there. The problem is flying without addons is not really an option in flight simulation so i would have to add addons one by one until i identified the problem.

But if every try takes 4 hours… pfff… very frustrating.

A year ago i also had a lot of CTD problems and they went away by itself so probably because they fixed it in an update. Afterwards i never had any crashes and after i got a new PC it has been stable for months as well until yesterday. I hope it’s a location thing over Egypt or something but i will have to do another long flight to get coordinates and try to reproduce the issue.

The four hour thing doesn’t help, for sure. If it were more easily demonstrated it would be easy. I had one issue like that, CTD triggered when downloading content from “My Content”. It took me about 20 minutes to find what the offending addon was by splitting my addons in half, and testing each half separately. One half has no crash, so I then halve the other half until I found the particular addon.

If you had to wait 4 hours between testing cycles, assuming it was repeatable, that would be extremely tedious.

I wonder if yours is geographic in nature, unless you have had crashes in completely different parts of the world.

1 Like

Yes time is the biggest issue in this case, i will probably redo the flight tonight and see what happens. To be honest i hope it will crash at the exact same location so i know what it is. Thanks for sharing mate.

1 Like

With any luck it will crash at the same place. What I would suggest is try a shorter route that takes you over the area where you were when it happened last. That would shorten your testing cycle if its location based.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

Dont forget to run MSFS as ADMINISTRATOR MODE. I just resolve my ctd with this setting.

Hope it will help and fly

I am not computer savvy enough to add a meaningful suggestion beyond what has already been posted. I writing only to add my CTD experience–which continues to be a random problem. I bought MSFS when first released and had no CTD’s whatsoever until about a month or so ago. I made no changes to my system and no new additions prior to the onset of the CTDs —so the source of the problem must lie elsewhere. I have tried several of the recommended changes but have attempted to work with BIOS or clocking, both of which are beyond my computer experience. Just wanted to add my voice to those who are listening and who may be in a position to provide a real fix.

. . . . have NOT attempted to work with Bios or clocking. . . . [sorry for the typo]

Can you provide us your PC specs, and a bit more detail of how and when it happens?

Thanks for the response.
Specs:
-I am running an ASUS PC
-MSFS purchased through MS store
-Intel i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz
-Windows 10 Version 21H2
-OS 19045.1466 (fully updated)
-Navidia GForce RTX2070 Super
-BIOS 90.04.76.40.86
-Driver: 471.51
-DX11
-I use either Honycomb Alpha or Logitech Extreme Pro controller
-All updates installed
-Cache deleted and rolling cache disabled.

CTD’s appear to happen randomly but with increased frequency. Only common factor which I have observed is that CTD’s appear to occur after I have been operating the system for more than one hour.
Thanks again.