Crash to desktop without error message

The length of flight thing seems to be popping up here a lot.
A lot of users that experience a CTD lately have that in common.
Usually, 1 to about 1.5 hours seems to be the safe zone.

One thing you might want to try (but it may not have much effect), would to try with the Community folder empty if you have any addons in there.

I doubt very much it is your system.

MSFS is ultra hard on any system and seemingly random CTDs after an hour or more may actually be caused by components reaching their limits due to insufficiant cooling and this can include practically every chip on the mainboard so is not always obvious. However fluffed fans and heatsinks are the commonest causes as is thermal paste drying out over time. For obvious reasons any rise in ambient temperature can also figure so if you’re stuck in a closed room kicking out all kinds of heat then sooner or later … etc. etc.

So next flight it crashed 200NM later in the flight. Very strange.

Then i updated to latest nVidia driver and i finally could complete that same flight. (5h20m)
Doesn’t say much because it could be a lucky attempt but anyway we will see how it goes.

Check your temps but it could be the clock itself … a change of driver suggests a change in performance no matter how slight. If you have any gpu overclocks drop them down a notch and you should be good to go (I had to after the hotfix)

Yes i checked that. My temps are very low, i have a 3080Ti (not overclocked) that never reaches 70C and GPU usage is only 50% when it happens. I have an AIO and the CPU reaches about 60C. And with that same older driver i have flown a lot without issues, the CTDs began only a couple of days ago.

My 3060 runs even cooler and my OC survived a 15hr Furmark burn in yet since the update I had to tweak the memory clock down a touch. If your card is factory OC’d it is not immune.

I will try it if it persists thank you. Did you only tuned down memory clock?

Yes. I guess I could have tried bumping the volts but it isn’t worth it IMO

1 Like

I changed everything to reference speeds just to be sure. It wasn’t factory OCed by much but who knows.

Exactly. It’s not every game that runs a high load for hours on end and I personally think Microsoft / Asobo should be able to set some kind of buffer to wind things back a little … but I guess that’s easier said than done especially with clock speed when gpu’s only seem to throttle with high temperatures

First legit crash in ages. The only difference is I was in the Twin Otter. I was just flying around TNCM, doing touch, and goes, high angle approaches etc, and it died just as I taxied off the runway.

Sig[7].Name=Exception Code
Sig[7].Value=c0000005

LoadedModule[189]=C:\Users\Howard\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\packages\aerosoft-aircraft-twin-otter\m2aa5d425a3aa0967_0.dll

On the plus side Bugalaga is easy in the Twin Otter. :+1: No bouncing around as you rise over the crest, you can feel this plane has some real mass to it.

1 Like

How long had you been flying?

About 25 minutes, so not long at all. I reloaded, and have had two short flights since with no issue, but they are so short as to be meaningless.

STOL performance is not in doubt, one bit. Given my experience at Bugalaga, my feeling is that the Kodiak may have issues with the landing gear as far as it bouncing around when you descend the ramp like its made of balsa. With the Kodiak I have to hold the toe brakes as I descend while adding power, and even then the nose wheel will bounce.

That doesn’t happen here. Perhaps a suspension issue?

Either way this is going to be a lot of fun to master. But it is the only plane I remember that has louder engine noise inside the plane rather than the outside.

I still have a lot to do with SPAD bindings wise. Some stuff worked out the box, some not so much, but power, reverse, prop feather, and fuel cutoff are all working well with my TQ.

1 Like

by “latest amd driver”, do you mean the “optional” drivers, or recommended?

pretty much same.

Radeon Software 22.1.1 was meant.

I just finished a 7 hr flight, no CTD. All good. shrug. Donno what to think anymore lol.

Why don’t they fixed the ctds and other stuff that call’s the ctds first?

i7 10700 + 3060ti + 32gb ram
Computer runs flawless but CTDs everyflight after about 1 hour. No other software will ever crash on me with this machine.
I can confirm the software doesn’t like high temperatures but even running everything around 70 I still have CTDs. Simulator is unusable again =(

Looks like overclock behaviour. Before the latest update I had a solid (15hr furmark burn-in proofed) gpu memory OC which I have now had to drop a notch. Also when I had my ram at 4400MHz it would cause CTDs after about the same amount of time. Apart from MSFS anything else has never been a problem because they never run at full tilt for hours on end.