Crash to desktop without error message

Guys, we really shouldn’t blame ourselves or our rigs for something that is clearly a software problem. I use my machine for heavy purposes such as video rendering, audio editing, etc. I have an air conditioning system in the room to keep everything as cool as possible when it is warm and I have a brand new rig. I have 3 computers and I have CTDs in all of them using MSFS so it is not our fault or rig fault. It is a development problem. I LOVE MSFS, Asobo and MS are doing a great job. BUT, it still has a lot of bugs and problems.

2 Likes

sounds like you do at all of your machines the same “configuration” which cause that msfs crashs… a “configuration” which is in my case a different one and therefore I have no crash :wink:

Check all the existing solutions, e.g. lots of them are about sound-drivers or other software which let crash msfs.

PS:

I assume thats true anyway :wink:

I have just the opposite.
I very, very seldom get a CTD, and I sim a lot.
I have a very low end system, and no extra cooling except for a few extra fans I installed in the case.
I can’t stand cold rooms, so it’s fairly warm in here.
I do agree with MicaMMA that it probably is in your configuration somewhere.

I live in Brazil my friend… Cold here is what you would call warm probably! =D

1 Like

What I assume might contribute to my CTDs is not necessarily configurations as I tried in one of my computers in “standard” configurations and PC settings.

What I assume could cause same issues at my side is because I have a whole simulator panel including instrument panel, avionics, radio, transponder, yoke, pedals, throttle, mixture and prop, etc… I have a 100% panel which makes me able to fly just like the real thing. Listening to you guys here I am starting to assume then this could be the problem as I always fly with all the gadgets connected.
Any inputs are appreciated =)

1 Like

Atlantic Canada, -12C this morning!!!

1 Like

You can always go to msinfo → File → Export → anyname.txt. Then you open the file and go to
[Windows Error Reporting] section. There you’ll find MSFS and the faulting module. MSFS support always asks for this file to they can find the faulting module, since event log gives little information about the crash it’s usually just a 0xc0000005 error.

With this method I was able to find out that MSFS crashed due to d3d11.dll. Support has flagged this as a known problem with Nvidia drivers 497.09 & this was supposedly fixed in 497.29 but nor that or 511.23 driver version has completely fixed this problem for me. After that I suspect it could be either the game itself, or GPU undervolt, but yet again the game has worked with it for ages without dx related crashes, and running stock voltage hasn’t helped either.

Do you still have this problem with HAGs turned off?

I’ve completely forgot about this feature, I have to turn it off and see if it helps.

Don’t worry … it will

I’m back. Recorded a 6 hour 50 minute flight, game crashed to desktop right before my turn on approach to land.

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.21.18.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.22000.434, time stamp: 0x72a6f702
Exception code: 0x80000003
Fault offset: 0x00000000000f57a2
Faulting process id: 0x1fbc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d80ed156672db4
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Chucky\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 41064e66-828a-4a09-944a-12ded8d2f26d
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Nvidia 511.23

I updated my Nvidia driver to the latest. I’m guessing that has to be it. Crazy how I made it almost 7 hours…

Yet another CTD without any errors. This time it happened during approach after flying for 3.7hrs.

Current systems is an Intel 12 RTX 3090 using Nvidia’s Studio drivers which has proven to be stable prior to the latest FS update.

“Chucky” is a intressting/funny installation folder :joy:

Just how many different ways are there for this sim to crash? Only yesterday I made it CTD by quickly scrolling through Little Navmap’s map…

Only got the usual 0x0…05 error with no other details, but it can’t be a coincidence that the sim crashed immediately after I started panning the map. I’ll try to replicate again today. Best to start running LNM in a different machine, connect to MSFS via network and see what happens.

ps: just saw some recent posts about CTDs during approach. This is what I’ve been getting too. 3 out of 4 last flights (anywhere between 1 to 3 hours) crashed 5 miles from the destination runway, all in different airports. At the time I thought it was probably AIG traffic or some combination of AIG and multiplayer/offline traffic, but now I’m beginning to have second thoughts. AMD drivers here, which were working perfectly fine for months.

These CTDs will never end apparently.

Interesting, there appears to be quite a number of posts here of CTD’s on approach, I myself have had a number of these as well, but one of the “interesting” observations is that this happens prior to calling ATC message “on approach/final”, has anyone else seen this??

Nah they’ll probably never end. But, what can be done is reduce them in scale. Problem is, the latest update seems to have done the opposite of that.

1 Like

I encountered a reproducible problem on stable FBW A32NX when the route was changed in MCDU (return to departure airport) and CTD occurred at the last point of the route. Development version of A32NX does not have this problem.

Not using in-game ATC myself, these were all VATSIM flights with different aircraft and to different airports. I found a year-old thread about people having CTDs specifically on approach and the workaround for them was to turn on generic plane models. Because, yes, MSFS can apparently bloody crash if it doesn’t like a single livery. It’s that stable.

So in my case I’ve turned off multiplayer, stopped using AIG and only use Offline AI traffic until I figure out what’s going on. But I didn’t expect that some random quick panning in LNM’s map would crash MSFS as well.

For me it mostly happens when there is ATC talk, no matter on final or elsewhere, there seems to be a bug in their audio engine, resulting in a crash.
I just found another bug in my system, SAM - the AMD feature to increase fps using an AMD cpu with GPU in combination. Turning the feature OFF in bios makes the flights much more stable, but with less fps. I hate both now, on and off :rofl:

IIRC that “SAM” (Smart Access Memory) thing is also referenced as “Above 4G decoding” along with “re-size BAR support” in various BIOS versions. Both need to be enabled for SAM to work and I think that nowadays MSFS is making use of it to gain some extra performance. It’s a sad thing if some (or many/all) users need to disable it to make MSFS more stable (but run worse).

Mine has been on for ages, but I’ll do some tests with it disabled.