Crashes back to Xbox Series X Desktop

Maybe not natively though. You can set XBox O/S settings to downscale, but that may not change the original rendered size etc in game. I’m not sure though. Difficult to tell minus any in game graphics options/details. Maybe it would involve multiple rescales? Who knows. Need someone XBox tech savvy to explain how XBox o/s res choice impacts game res.
It’s one major difference between FS on X (4K) and S(1080 native) though. The X has that extra graphical step. Maybe some scenery glitches with that process more than say on the S which doesn’t have that extra upscale render process.

That’s not the only difference, they are not using the same settings: things like terrain LOD level, object LOD level and basically any other graphic setting you can’t see on Xbox, are pre-set and different between the S and the X.

It’s likely that, because of the increased settings, depending on the location, the X might not be able to fit in memory everything. Keep in mind that, of the total 16GB, ( which it’s more like 10GB for the GPU at higher bandwidth + 6 GB for the CPU at a lower bandwidth), the Xbox OS takes about 2.5 GB for itself, so not even the full 16GB are available, which is quite tricky for a simulator that can load many different add-ons, so nobody can be certain how much stuff will be loaded at any given time.

This is very different from typical games, where the game designers can optimize their level design around the memory limitations, so you can be reasonably sure how much memory is used in every situation.

As an example: consider real weather, which is as unpredictable as it could be, and it comes from an external source. Imagine a scenery that has been tested in a common situation, and it’s already borderline close to to memory exhaustion. Now bad weather suddenly happens, and the added load of having more dense clouds, rain effects, etc. might just be enough to trip the system into crashing.

AI it’s the same, at a certain time you might have 20 AIs, on a another time you can have 80 but, it’s not just their number, it’s the number of DIFFERENT liveries they have, which is also highly unpredictable. And it’s not just that: the sim tries to save memory by using, for example, AI models with no textures on the lowest LOD levels, so it can save memory by discarding textures of objects that are far away so you don’t even need them to be textured, but it can’t do that if another AI with the same livery is close to your viewpoint.

Optimization is possible when you do a mostly static scenery, like an airport, but if you are dealing with stuff that appears “randomly” when you don’t expect, like AI and multiplayer planes, or changing weather, but even the simple fact that you might have added a 3rd party airplane and are using a 3rd party airport, it’s remarkable the sim could work as well as it does ( when it doesn’t crash…) on the Xbox.

2 Likes

Yes memory management is a huge if not the biggest factor with the XBoxes but the more stable S has less. I was just recollecting yesterday one 3rd party airport I own but don’t use is/was a whopping 7GB!!
You’re right though memory management is key and add ons even for AI liveries like you describe must take their toll. Some kind of memory manager that showed hit so you deactivate add ons before using would be great, but I doubt it will happen. Add ons are likely only checked for individual rather than cumulative performance before being released.

1 Like

Wcoesel I have very few add-ons installed.
I must say that the last two evenings it has run like a dream.
For me not to have a ctd in two days is very rare thing especially as I have had so many in the past.
As I have mentioned before when this sim works it is a fantastic experience and what they have produced from a worldwide point if view is very impressive.
As long as it remains stable which I hope I have not now jinxed I will be back on it regularly.

1 Like

Try this (xbox x)

options general (before starting or planning a flight)
traffic
airport life
vehicle: 40 (its funny, because all of the other parking aircrafts will have vehicles, with this “low” value)
aircraft: 80
worker: 80

all crashing 3rd P airports works with that

had problems before this settings: Helsinki, Glasgow, Krakow, Barcelona, Las Vegas, La Coruna, Brussels etc. 100% ctd

my other settings

real time weather
real time traffic
land and see 100
4K, 60 Hz, HDR 10 on in the game options
HDR 10, automatic off in the console menu

general addons installed

runway
jetway
vessels
custom vehicles
liveries all commercial!
24 3p airports

network
rolling c. off
100-500 mbit/sec, LAN

controllers
xbox
mouse
Hotas

and works! life changed

hope will work for some of you, too!

1 Like

I’ve come back to the sim over the past week and noticed my rolling cache is turned off? Up to yet not had a single crash, and this is with AI traffic turned on. Completed long haul flights like London to Boston over the atlantic…all fine.

I’m not sure how long it will last but :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Sea textures are not so heavy than ground textures. So ctd risk during flight is quite near zero in my opinion

1 Like

I’ve switched to PC to play this game due to the increased frequency of CTD I am experiencing on Xbox. It’s a shame as I do prefer to play it on my XsX. I probably will not go back to Xbox even if they fix it, as I have now purchased a few dlc that are PC-only. Unless, of course those items come to Xbox and the devs make it more stable.

Thats great to hear! I have also had NO CTD for at least 20 long flights. Im afraid to change ANYTHING lol

The issue here is you should not have to do all those 7 steps you mentioned. Your game experience has now been degraded and its not fair to the community after spending $$$ alot on add-ons, the game and a console MSF is not able to fix these issues on a high powered game console.

1 Like

So, what about my experience?

I’m not having these issues on my Xbox Series X.

Sounds good but I can’t even get to the main menu to play the game.

Clear your Reserved Space and try again.

Ill try when i get home thanks

1 Like

Please describe it. What’s your settings, what’s your hardware i e controllers. Where do you fly, which aircraft? Jets or GA?

Traffic and weather - live or AI or offline?

Thank you.

I fly with all data online except multiplayer.

I use Real-Time Online air traffic.

I have all traffic sliders set to 100.

I have the rolling cache turned off.

I use no assistance other than taxi arrows.

I always start cold and dark. I do all my own ATC radio work and am present for the entire duration of the flight. Very, very, very rarely will I switch on AI ATC if I have to step away from the keyboard, but I turn it back off again as soon as I return.

(Interestingly, the one flight I have done (KSFO to PHNL in the 787) since SU9 released where I left the AI ATC on for an extended period away from the keyboard resulted in the black screen avionics then a CTD. I returned to the keyboard with the flight about 450 NM from PHNL and witnessed the CTD. That was the first and only time I’ve ever seen that issue in nearly 500 hours of flight time. I’m wondering if there is a connection to leaving the AI ATC turned on…)

I have the Deluxe & Premium content that I bought as an add-on after my initial purchase of the base sim.

I fly 3rd party GA aircraft (primarily The Goose, EMB-110, Kodiak, Carenado 170B & Skymaster, but I have more, less frequently used, high quality 3rd party aircraft, too), Asobo’s Junkers 52 & Staggerwing and the three Asobo stock airliners.

Other than all my 3rd party aircraft, I currently only have the G1000NXi installed. I didn’t see issues with SU9 when I had 4Simmers A320 North America liveries, 4Simmers 787 liveries, San Jose and San Francisco Night Scenery, Enhanced Airport Graphics, North American Regional Vehicles and St. Barts Sea Vessels installed. Those add-ons are currently not installed.

I currently only have WU2 installed, although I didn’t see issues with SU9 when I previously had WU1-WU8 installed.

The only reason I have all the aforementioned add-ons not installed is because I had to reset my Reserved Space to cure the WU9 startup CTD issue. I left them uninstalled to test if I’d see any change in performance and also so I could just get back to flying without waiting on them to redownload. As mentioned, I have not seen any change in performance with them uninstalled.

I have the Thrustmaster TCA Boeing yoke, two Boeing throttle quadrants ganged together, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, Razer Turret keyboard & mouse, and an Xbox controller.

I have a 28” Asus 4k 60Hz display at the desk where this Series X is setup. The sim is the only “game” installed on this Series X. This Series X is connected to the Internet via WiFi to a router located downstairs and in another room.

I fly mostly in California, Mexico, Central America plus the Caribbean and, occasionally New Zealand. I have flown in the UK and France recently to test the same flights posted by other Xbox users to see if I would have their same poor experiences — I did not, my flights went well, with good performance even in heavy clouds and weather.

I flew a 4.5 hour low altitude IFR flight in the Skymaster from KPRB to Isla San Marcos, Mexico yesterday without issue.

I flew a 4 hour high altitude IFR flight from KSFO to MMMX in the A320neo today without major issues. There was a minor stutter on approach to MMMX when the METAR weather popped-in suddenly. Also, the aircraft wouldn’t capture ILS. I had the correct frequency, could see it was tuned, could see the purple diamonds on the PFD, but couldn’t get the AP to capture and fly it. I had to hand fly the aircraft on the glide slope. Other than that, the flight was smooth and uneventful.

There you go. That is a near perfect synopsis of my system and sample fight behavior.

Thanks very very much mate for your report, this is very well described, and it is almost the same set up than I have, except the peripheral devices, however, … Auto ATC thing is what I’m convinced about is a connection to some CTDs. I assume, when cruising i.e. with A320N and there is no frequency change to be expected and you do not move your mouse or controller, “it” or “something” is turning to idle and cause the CTD right away after tuning back in by moving the mouse. I had no problems when I constantly moved around my mouse inside the cockpit and switched off and on some buttons just to keep being active, and nothing to worry… but when being “idle”… I cannot guarantee :slight_smile: Anyone?

Oh wow. Thank you for such a detailed report. Will therefore provide same for comparison (having CTD issues in LSZH stock airport, also reported by multiple other users others CTD on official LSZH - #9 by QuietLawyer4339).

I fly (at least I try) XBOX Series X in 4K 60Hz on LG 4K TV, WiFi 5 connected with router within 20 feet on same floor in direct sight plugged into 300Mb symmetric fiber AT&T. In peripheral terms: I use Turtle Beach Velocity + wired Logitech dumb mouse + standard xbox controller (removed flight surfaces bindings in profile to avoid double axis bindings)

Besides MSFS I have several more games including Elite Dangerous installed, but I keep about 65% of drive space clear. Have never experience CTD in any of those games yet.

All data online is On but multiplayer is disabled as I do not pay for Xbox Live or Pass currently. I use Live traffic and Live weather. All traffic sliders set to 100. Assistance all off except landmarks POI and taxi arrows.

Rolling cash is currently on and 64G size but I tried both with it turned off and freshly cleared too.

Sim reserved data was cleared about a week ago and after that I reinstalled everything step by step, which is Deluxe + Premium + all WUs + BREDOK’s 737 Max + Liveries for 737 + Liveries for A320 Europe + Enhanced Airport Graphics + Airport Jetway Pro by LVFR + some more, but I do not suspect those as had CTD in LSZH from even vanilla state cleared reserved space sim.

Meanwhile, may I kindly ask you @NixonRedgrave to try flying out and around LSZH and see if you experience any CTD. I will per your suspicion try same with AI ATC turned off. In hindsight I can also put it into suspects list as I had it on most of time and CTD happens somewhat at the moments when Live Traffic aircraft would normally communicate with tower regarding me blocking their taxying or takeoff - he he =)

After my last post, I have since reinstalled all WUs and all my other add-ons.

I’d completed a flight from PAJN to PAFA in the A320neo and, upon completion, loaded a flight from LSZH to LFPG. The sim behaved poorly and hung briefly after I clicked FLY and I thought it might CTD. I turned on the batteries, external power, lights, tuned ATIS, switched to instrument view 2 to set the altimeter and then hang and CTD.

I thought, perhaps, it was due to a “second flight” situation after having already made a flight since the sim was booted.

Launched the sim, set up the same flight, got all the way to the runway, was holding short awaiting my turn to takeoff and was switching between views and then CTD.

I’d be curious to see if I remove the Switzerland-related WU if this would change.

1 Like

Annoyingly I’ve started getting CTDs again this and last week. At the weekend I even had one where I had paused the game by bringing up the menu to do something else for a couple of minutes and it CTD. Whats that about?!?!