Crashes back to Xbox Series X Desktop

I keep crashing back to dashboard of series x more the consol just shuts down completely. Xbox gets super warm with the game.
Also mostly this happens when I fly airliners.
The shutdowns of the xbox are less common thins the hot fix but now ctd come almost every time I want to fly.
After release of the game I had no trouble thez just started after the hot fix 1 and 2 and it’s getting worth.

I hope they fix it soon.

Starting to get fed up with the CTD’s on XBox Series X. They seem to have got worse/more frequent recently. Flying A320Neo, and suddendly (and randomly) it crashed back to desktop. I have live weather on and AI traffic on. (I may try next time with these turned off).
On a framerate side I noticed the following -
I had been using my HOTAS One in conjunction with the XBox controller (for certain menu navigation, view changes and switch/button changes in the plane cockpit/dashboard).
Instabilities: I was finding that a small touchpad mouse (integrated with my wireless keyboard) was often ‘fighting’ for UI control with the XBox controller, especially when I was trying to interact with plane switches, buttons and drop down menu choices. This for me (say when trying to use XBox controller to program a ILS approach in the A320Neo) could often lead to huge debilitating frame rate slowdowns, hangs (which would go away when you went to external view, but return in cockpit view).
Fix: I have ditched my XBox controller completely. Now using a wireless keyboard with num pad (handy when you learn the keyboard shortcuts) and a separate optical mouse along with HOTAS One and my cockpit/dashboard interaction problems (and cockpit framerate slowdowns) have now gone away completely. It also feels more user friendly and reminds me of using a PC. I won’t be switching back again. Note: The Hotas One has enough ‘XBox’ functionality (eg an ‘XBox home button’ to return to home and turn on/off XBox etc. so the XBox controller can be left completely powered off.

I am still getting CTD’s though and it isn’t just airliners. (2 CTDs in 2 hrs this morning alone, two separate flights in completely new areas, both happened mid flight).
Sometimes the CTD’s also render the XBox O/S inoperable eg I can bring up the home menu for ‘turn off’ ‘reboot’, but can’t actually select the command to do so. I have to resort to the physical ‘off’ button on the side of the Xbox. Seems like FS2020 causes a O/S UI instability too? It’s frustrating as unlike PC’s the XBox is a standard platform, and one of the reasons I held out for it. :rage:

System: XBOX series X, HOTAS One, Wireless KB & optical mouse.

UPDATE 20 AUG 2021:
I reluctantly disabled AI Traffic : GENERAL OPTIONS->TRAFFIC->AI TRAFFIC->OFF
and have had ZERO crashes :grinning: to XBox desktop (CTD’s) in 3+ hrs flying A320 Neo in/out various airports this morning. Seems like AI traffic is a major issue with CTD’s. I don’t like how quiet ATC or the airports now are, but it sure beats the crashes to desktop. Hope they fix this issue, but it is a known one to them. From MSFS known issues page-

" CTDs
-Sim may crash when flying with AI traffic

• Workaround:
    • Set AI Traffic settings off by going to General > Traffic > Aircraft Traffic Type > OFF"

UPDATE 21 AUG 2021:

I flew for many hours today, all flights 1hr or less, and had ZERO CTD’s again, sometimes in high CPU scenery zones eg London City, Heathrow, Gatwick, Frankfurt, Amsterdam (all premium content high load areas). I decided to switch AI Traffic back on but reduce it to just 10% to see if it was AI load related and I had a CTD quite soon aftwerwards. Switched AI Traffic off again and had no CTD’s the rest of the day. AI Traffic will be remaining off for me.

4 Likes

I have the occasional crash to desktop when playing the sim but lately I’m getting lots of issues when launching the sim from the Xbox Series X Home Screen, it’ll start to load and then quit. This can happen 3-4 times in a row before finally loading normally.

It also happens to me sometimes to have CTD, but quite rarely. Especially when I go through stages of bush trips, or when flying over dense areas.

When I see the multitude of other basic bugs, fundamentals and still not fixed even though the Xbox version was released a year after the PC version, I come to accept CTDs almost as a normal situation, or a minor problem!

Where are the life jackets ? We’re all on the same plane and it’s sinking! :flight_arrival: :rowing_man:

Fortunately I’ve not seen this happen yet. Are you using peripherals other than Xbox controller? Add ons? Also are you quitting FS2020 after using it or just suspending it. I always make a point of closing it down for a clean start rather than coming back into a suspended session. Given FS’s longish load times that would drive me nuts.

I had one CTD recently when flying fast past a scenery dense area while rapidly changing my POV, perhaps it was too graphically challenging for it. With most day tod ay flight simming and even in some scenic dense areas I’m finding the Series X quite stable with AI turned off. I am using mouse/keyboard/HOTAS and not the controller though. All very smooth working now at 4K. Yes there are a few frame rate dips in dense scenic areas like London etc but they are livable with for most flight simming needs.

i loved playing FSX back in the days, i bought a series x only because of the new fs2020, and its a fantastic game/sim. but unfortunately its somehow unplayable atm. when i play a videogame i want it to run without crashes and no “gamebreaking” bugs, sadly fs2020 has its problems. never experienced so many CTD, even cyberpunk runs better for me lol. and this whole “active pause/pause on/pause off” stuff and flightplans for ifr flights not loading/saving correctly is veeery annoying. i just want to fly but atm this game is more like “better not pause or save your 6hour flight, and hope there wont be a ctd in the end” … bummer

3 Likes

I’m using a MX Master 3 mouse and MX Keys but these haven’t been any issue. I think it was possibly related to a Marketplace purchase for airport regional environment Europe, I’ve deleted this and so far the game has been launching ok. I had been using Quick Resume but did start quitting completely.

I have solved most of my CTD’s with turning AI Traffic to ‘OFF’. I’m using it for hours now with min CTD’s. All on shortish flights say 1hr or so.

Too many CTDs for me on my Series S as well.

I hope they fix that.

1 Like

I have been commenting on another post about the same ctd problems on series x.
I ctd on average one per hour since release so probably have had at least 40 but I have lost count.
After unistalling and reinstalling a week ago I got 17 hours without an issue and then it started to ctd again at the weekend so what changed on my Xbox after those 17 hours to cause problems yet again.
I’ve switched off all the things people say to turn off like ai traffic but it makes no difference.
Also the fact world update 6 has been delayed just shows they must be updating more than just graphics for a few countries.
What is the point updating graphics when there are more important issues to resolve like making the sim stable so people can reliably play it.

1 Like

I think it may be prudent for them to install a CTD monitor to report back automatically a snapshot of what caused users CTD’s. I’m fine now with AI Traffic off before then I was getting 2-3 CTDs a day. I’m also wary of 3rd party add ons or long flights until CTD’s become less common.

3 Likes

I just turned on my console for first time today.
Loaded up a short a320 flight from Gatwick to Brussels.
I did not even get to the runway before it decided to ctd yet again.
The console was only on for 10 minutes.
How people defend this sim is beyond me.
Microsoft are clearly charging people for a project that has not even got to an alpha stage of programming.
How are they getting away with it as it is a product not fit for purpose.
For an Xbox title which has fixed hardware it is inexcusable and clearly Asobo are way out of depth.
I have been playing games and sims since 1982 across many platforms and I have never experienced a more incomplete piece software than this.
I just want to play this thing but I doubt it will ever work to be honest.

3 Likes

I have had several CTD, I can not determine a cause, 1 about 20nm from KLAX prepping for approach in default A320. 2 was FL330 in same A320 just cruising over the coast off of North Africa from Tenerife to Costa del Sol. 3 was about 20ft from touch down in the default X Cub at GCXO.

Running on Xbox Series X with Controller, Mouse and Keyboard.

1 Like

Sadly it seems that recently the CTDs are getting more frequent. Yesterday I set up a flight from Stansted in heavy rain (with all the usual workarounds on the user side which should prevent CTDs) but immediately after loading the flight, when the cockpit is displayed the sim crashed for no particular reason.

After doing it all again (including the very annoying sensitivity settings for the HOTAS, because they still are not saved upon exiting the sim!) the flight loaded and I could perform the whole flight without a hitch.

This shows clearly how unstable the sim is as a whole.

It is wonderful when Asobo/MS announce the new world update including new planes like the Ju 52, but first and foremost the simulation should be stabilized because like GimmickyShane said, in a way this is inexcusable, especially for a company like Microsoft. All Xboxes have the same hardware architecture (divided by model X and S of course) and the same software.

Literally every other application/game on my Xbox can run for hours on end without a single crash. And especially for a flight sim application it is crucial that it can run for many hours straight without any kind of problem because this is the sole purpose of any flight simulator… to simulate (long) flights without us having to worry about CTDs.

Until this problem is solved it’s really not very enjoyable :sleepy:

1 Like

Agree 100%. One of the main reasons I held out for XBox was the fact it was known hardware so theoretically it should be absolutely stable and that should be MS’s goal for that platform as it is THEIR platform, they designed it to run this software.
I get PC owners frustrations, but having flight simmed back in the 1997-2000 era I was well aware of all the historical issues re hardware and drivers and stability issues that crop up especially with bleeding edge technology to run it (Voodoo2 cards anyone?). BUT if you run bleeding edge CPU’s/motherboard and graphics cards you have to expect these issue cropping up as their drivers are usually always a crapshoot and constantly evolving.
I didn’t expect these issues on XBox S/X though. The fact there hasn’t been a hotfix/patch yet shows that they may not have a grasp on stability issues yet, which is concerning.
In the mean time I just stick to best practices for low CTD’s (I don’t get that many) and try to enjoy sim as is.

2 Likes

Oh yes, I’m with FS since 1996 until FSX and I always tried to have the best available hardware for the latest iteration of FS. Not to mention (like you said) the constant struggle regarding driver updates etc.

Exactly my thoughts and this was the reason I thought ‘let’s try the new FS on Xbox, it should work like a breeze because everything is from MS including the sim itself’. Honestly, it’s baffling that the sim runs so very unstable since day one. Imho there should be no further update of the sim, the only focus should be about stability - nothing else. Once this basic problem is solved, they can build upon a stable platform. As it stands now I’m afraid to add a single add on because it seems that - at least for now - everything adds to the instability of the sim. It is also hard to understand why especially the AI traffic seems to be the main culprit regarding CTDs. I mean, AI traffic should be one of the core features of every FS without causing problems.

I have to admit, when everything works, the sim is truly stunning and breathtaking, but sometimes I long for FS9 which I had for years on different hardware without any problem whatsoever. Sigh…

1 Like

Perhaps the issue is that (and I don’t know for sure) MS have a single FS2020 version that they adjust (much like windows 10). Yet they are catering for bugs on multi platforms. So hotfixes and patches to address issues cropping up on that platform have knock on effects on other platforms. I mean I don’t remember CTD’s on XBox on initial release in July, just after last hotfix/patches etc.
You are right. They need to fix CTD’s before rushing new content, as nice as new content and add ons are I’d prefer a rock solid crash free experience first and foremost. Probably different depts/personnel though.
I’m fortunate in that most of what I do (with CTD’s best practices in place) is fairly stable, but as you have seen too this isn’t always guaranteed!
I think one immediate ‘hot fix’ they should be doing is creating a crash monitor that reports back CTD’s to M/S. Everything we report is probably too vague and they can only go try to replicate.

1 Like

Good idea! But… one question I had immediately after beginning to participate in these forums right after launch of FS on Xbox:

I mean, all the now known issues were reported by users only a few days after launch. Every single problem, from AI traffic to vanishing mouse pointers to black screens on A320, CTDs after 2 hours + flights (memory leak) and so forth…

So I have to ask: did no one at Asobo test flights for, let’s say, 5 hours, six hours? Did they not encounter the black screen bug? The vanishing mouse pointer? Many CTDs? When I fly over London I have still a slide show… did no one check the FPS degradation issue before launch?

It’s hard to understand, isn’t it?

2 Likes

It is, I think they could do with a room full of people who just play FS on XBox and look for bugs. It’s hard for devs to test the sim over the whole world though in a variety of planes and weather and AI, so collectively we all have a much wider ‘reach’ in assessing it’s capabilities, but still, some of these reported bugs should be easy for them to replicate.
On the flipside I’m glad they are trying to make XBox version as close to the PC experience as possible. I’d hate it if it were a radically cut down but more stable version.
We have to stay positive in outlook and hope they stabilise it soon.

2 Likes