Crashes to desktop on loading

I recently signed up to xbox live and was over the moon when FS appeared on the gamepass list. So installed it and it gets to the loading screen showing the city scape, starts playing music and then crashes to desktop.

My spec is

Ryzen 5900x
Evga 3080 FTW
64Gb Ram
Predator X35 (HDR is enabled in windows )
Windows 10

This is a new build machine with the latest drivers for everything installed.
The only thing I found odd was during install, the install size is 159GB, yet it only seems to install 10GB

This is the error that gets generated

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x60a521f7
Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.19041.789, time stamp: 0x2bd748bf
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x000000000007286e
Faulting process id: 0x5958
Faulting application start time: 0x01d75c76495805df
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.16.2.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\windows\System32\ucrtbase.dll
Report Id: abddab77-d3cd-40ba-9411-72dd9096b102
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.16.2.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

Anyone have any ideas?

please ensure that you have installed the English (US) Language Pack

How to install see also FAQ:

“chapter” => LANGUAGE PACK (US) (ALL VERSIONS)

Some others here have found memory that throws errors can cause problems with CTDs and such.

After running memory tests to isolate the bad DRAM stick, they replace it and all works.

The language pack issue fixes this

" If you’re experiencing crashes in-game while navigating between menus or when clicking “Fly now”, you might be missing the English (United States) Language Package on your PC.!"

My crash is whilst on the loading screen.
Both language packs are installed and this is a fresh windows install.

This is a new machine. The memory is fine. Every other app from the windows store is fine.
If you read the litany of reviews, I’m not the only one experiencing this.

I had the same problem… I found temporary disabling my bull guard firewall on load up cured the problem…

1 Like

Doubt it is memory related since all applications including Windows itself would be unstable.

Noticed non-MSFS error in your above post pointing to ucrtbase.dll which alone can cause app crashes.

Quick access cache can be cleared by deleting *.automaticDestinations-ms from the following directory using Command Prompt.
%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations

^ or
Press Windows key + R
Type: %AppData%
Hit Enter
Then navigate to that folder manually.

Perform the above then try again and report back.

Edit:
since you are on a new machine, make sure power plan is Balanced and turn off Game Mode… both can be searched on the taskbar.

Ucrtbase is part of the C++ runtime. The exception is just being thrown from there because of a stack overflow, which is what the exception is. Again, this is a brand new Windows install, a brand new clean install of MSFS. Cleaning up folders…etc which haven’t even been touched is not going to address this issue.

Adjusting the powerplan is irrelevant in this case. The issue here is down to what MSFS is attempting to do.

I would Uninstall FS2020 (settings/apps) and try it again from MS Store/Steam.

Can’t hurt anything.

“The memory is fine” as in you’ve tested it? Or “the memory is fine” as in it’s new so of course has to be good?

If it’s the latter, it still could be bad. But please excuse the attempt to help.

1 Like

Since you are the expert and have all the answers - fix your own problem…

Not very welcome to those helping you out here… we could all be doing better things with our time. You refuse to do anything suggested and instead respond with “its a fresh install, I know its not that”

I didnt say power plan and Game Mode was relevant to your problem… I was just reminding you to check those because you are on a fresh install and may have overloooked a few settings.

1 Like

Nope. Its free on Xbox gamepass. I’m not spending 59 quid on a game that wont run.

Yes. I have tested it. I’ve run a performance test and have other games running fine. Also, the memory was tested by Scan who ran bed in tests before shipping. So its good.

I can assure you that this exception is not thrown with bad memory.

“Since you are the expert and have all the answers - fix your own problem…” I’m not an expert. But as a Software Engineer, I know that what you suggested won’t address it.

You do need to chill out.

Topic moved into #bugs-and-issues:performance for CTD problems.

1 Like

I dont need to do anything. You seem to know it all when you should assume you know nothing when troubleshooting especially when you are asking others for help.

Cant help someone who doesn’t want to help themself.

3 Likes

Go to the " Local Cache" folder and it should be over 100GB in size … if it’s only 10GB the Sim is not downloaded.
C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache

Is Microsoft Flight Simulator shown as INSTALLED on your XBOX App " My Collection" ?

Check this page out it may help
https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015760620-Download-Installation-guides

do u have Visual C++ Redistributable fĂĽr Visual Studio 2015 installed?
if not: https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/download/details.aspx?id=48145

Hi.

Yeah, I have the 2015-2019 redists installed.

It’s indicating that it’s installed, together with the Digital ownership package.
There isn’t really anything in C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache.

Just a set of empty folders.

I’m guessing, the gamepass version is just a launcher which loads the other packages, which is why its only a small download.