Crashing during loading after 1.18.14.0 update - Edit: NOT Resolved. Cannot get sim to load

Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder? If yes, please remove and retest before posting.
No, removed before updating

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
No

Brief description of the issue:
Installed update to 1.18.13.0 ok and after finishing downloading, it crashed upon first load. Tried again and got in ok. Downloaded updates in content manager, uninstalled several liveries that came with SU5 that I didnt want. I did notice after removing liveries for the Delux planes that I dont even have (on standard version), like the SR22 and Longitude “01” liveries from the list in the manager, when I returned to the aircraft selection window, all icons were replaced with grey rectangles.

I relaunched the sim and now I cant even get it to make it past the splash screen. Crashes every single time at the “explore the world” screen.

Nothing in community folder at all. Tried deleting the Content.xml file also. Also tried rebooting.

Edit: also tried completely removing the Roaming/Microsoft Flight Simulator folder and letting it rebuild. No change, still crashes at the same spot.

No way to get into the sim interface now. Completely locked out.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:
Crashes every time right after this screen is shown:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:
Launch sim, wait until loading, watch it crash to desktop.

PC specs for those who want to assist (if not entered in your profile)
i7-10750 6-core CPU, 32 GB DDR4 ram, and Nvidia RTX 2060 GPU with 6bg of memory. Two 1TB M.2 NVMe SSDs. Windows 10 is at 20H2 update, Nvidia up to date.

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:
1.18.13.0. Never had a problem previously with crashes.

Are you on the Steam or Microsoft Store version?
Steam
Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #?
No. I’ve never had any luck with them being able to help with anything before.

Do you have any content from Marketplace?

I do; Carenado aircraft, Portland KPDX scenery, and WT G1000 enhancement.

Interesting update!!

So, just out of frustration, I thought, “what if I just click on the window as it loads, and hold”. I dont know what prompted me to try this. But I noticed that when I’d click, it would continue loading in the background but the loading window animations would freeze while clicked.

So I tried this. As FS loaded up, I left clicked and held for 20 seconds, then let up for a sec, then clicked and held again. I thought to myself…wow, I bet it’s past the spot where it crashes!?

Let up on the mouse to see, and it was! It loaded all the way, and I was able to commence a flight.

Have booted the sim up several times now, and it seems to load ok.

Thats really strange. Really, really strange.

3 Likes

Yeah I have similar experience too somehow in windowed mode the sim unhighlights itself while loading selected flight plan then CTD . In Full screen mode it’s less frequent but still happen 2/4 times some times before the fly button appears and sometimes after I click fly. This happens with default a320 and fbw night time IFR flights . No mods no dev mode nor insider . All possible updates in my content mgr.

Overall not too happy with Q/A . Think I have spent more time here in forums :frowning: than flying.

Crash occurs during download of update (after the store) (screen turn to black, pc didn’t respond and i need to restart, now after restarting “checking for update” turn and turn but can’t find anything…
I need to erase last updated files and start again but i can’t remember their locations
Thnks for your help

You can try resetting the app . Go to search bar type add or remove apps. Go to flight sim app highlight it click on advance options > repair (restart PC) > go back to add or remove > reset(restart pc) > relaunch flight sim

I first had this issue two nights ago on Tuesday when I spent 6 hours trying to update and then fly a simple 1.5 hour flight (which I never got through even the set-up of the flight plan).

So I reset the app. Seemed to work ok as far as setting up an A320 for FLT # callsign, “N” number and weight. Went back and forth between customization and weight and balance screens, still seemed to stick. Didn’t fly.

Added files (modded skins only) back to community file and none of the customization setting like above worked. Actually locked up for about a minute when resetting the fuel weight. Went back and forth between customization and weight and balance screens, things didn’t stick.

Deleted community folder again and retried and nothing stuck.

I don’t think this has to do with community folder as much as some say, but I AM willing to be wrong. I didn’t restart the computer between re-adding to and emptying community folder, though I doubt this should be necessary, only a restart of the game which is something you really can’t avoid.

I see people deleting the sim and redownloading it and I thought I saw someone reinstall Windows–I don’t think you would have to do ANY of that, nor should it be some sort of requirement to do so–that would be WAAAY too much for Microsoft et.al to expect of its customers.

I firmly believe this update has broken the sim. They need to fix this ■■■■ ASAP. It’s been 2 days I haven’t been able to fly. I trust they are working on it, but FML if this isn’t frustrating.

Agreed . Asobo don’t have much competition here so not sure when or if they will prioritize this over new features been over a year and still a mess . Not holding my breath .

Well, after updating to the Hotfix version this problem is back.

Cannot get into sim - crashes again upon main boot after checking for updates. Nothing in community folder.

Absolutely enraging. Come on Asobo!