Crashing to Desktop (Jan. 2022)

Experiencing random Crash to Desktop Issues since SU7 and Australian World update. Sim ran flawlessly before the updates. At first I thought it was my overclocking settings on my Ryzen 7 5800X so defaulted back to default BIOS settings. No change still getting random and frequent CTD’s tried running sfc /scannow tried updating Windows 10 tried removing re-installing Nvidia drivers, sound drivers, mainboard drives all without any change still get CTD.

CTD’s are so random could happen in menu’s or during flight no pattern to it at all.

Completely uninstalled MSFS cleaned up and did a re-install same thing CTD. Followed advise about resetting data in app. Downloaded SU7 again and still get CTD’s.

My PC specifications

MSI MAG B550M BAZOOKA Mainboard
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
16Gb DDR 4 RAM 2600 Crucial DESKTOP DDR4 2666 Mhz 8GB CL19 Unbuffered DIMMs
Nvidia RTX Geforce 2060 Twin X2
Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe SSD M.2 1TB

This CTD is really bad I can’t even use the sim.

Too soon to say for sure but CTD stopped after upgrading Nvidia Drivers to version 511.65 installed FBW A320NX with custom liveries and my add-on scenery will see how it goes.

I’ve also had frequent CTDs for the first time since starting with MSFS when it launched. At first I thought it might have been due to a third-party aircraft, but then I installed all available Windows updates and updated my Nvidia Drivers to the hotfix 511.72. It seems to have done the trick for now, so if 511.65 gives you trouble it might be worth trying the hotfix.

Well just installed all my Orbx and Flightbeam Payware add-ons all working so far no CTD running well… And no conflicts with Orbx Sydney YSSY, Orbx Sydney City Scape and MSFS Australian Word Update.

Seems it was Nvidia drivers. I’m running MSFS on Ultra good fps. Next going to return my OC settings on my CPU to see if its still stable

The CTD’s I’m experiencing now are more severe than ever. I tried starting the app with safe mode selected and it crashed as soon as it went on load screen. That was the quickest CTD I’ve ever had…

I never thought I’d be saying this about a Microsoft product, but as of now MSFS is the most broken app I have ever used on any platform of all time (the GOAT status of broken products) and I’ve been on PC for the best part of 20-years, consoles too.

All I know is that if a game gets released, it’s gotta have issues then it’s the developers’ job to patch it and keep releasing updates so it runs smooth. But in MSFS updates take months to roll out, and ever since release with each update the app functions and core stability progressively got worse. It’s absurd… I have no other simulator other than DCS. And if my comment gets flagged then there is something seriously wrong within the organization and I will write a full article about this elsewhere with more traffic so people can be warned of this product.

4 Likes

Yes, MSFS seems more unstable than ever, constant CTD’s

Had also my first 2 CTDs today and yesterday.
Never had it before for 1 year…
My Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 driver is from July 2021, so I don’t see a dependency to this driver.
Let’s see what happens in safe mode.

The saddest thing about this, is that if Asobo had put more resources to making the sim more stable, than just focusing on things like world updates numerous times a year, we would’ve been in a better place right now. I say they should put a pause to the eye-candy, and focus on the issues for the rest of the year. No WU8…or WU9…just core sim fixes.

6 Likes

it’s blatant and disrespectful especially from a major developer and publisher like Microsoft, they can’t put their name on a product like this and continue to disown it by not repairing it and staying ahead of every issue. I’ve spent a fortune on my sim gear, chair and software and then to have to put up with someone else’s major game-breaking flaws is simply absurd. I wanna say more but I’ll hold my peace, for now.

2 Likes

Please keep all topics in #bugs-and-issues on topic and help finding the cause or help in reproducing an issue. Thank you.

a note : community users ( and not ‘a company’ ) flag such flame-posts often, because we want here constructive posts focused on the topic and solution finding, in special within the yellow category. For more generall discussion is the blue category. Constructive is for me that users give detailed informations about installed hardware, mods, tools, applications, OCs , system specs , etc… and so we can discuss about. With flameing we can not find out something , but this is the goal of these community - find solutions / workarouds / helpfull hints for devs in case it is a bug / etc. …

Your former report was about grammar.pgggmod and this can be avoided ( just not fly at these position or lower the settings to High , see existing topic about ).

Your new crash: what happens ? what was the error - message in windows error log. Have you reverted in meanwhile your Overclock as we spoke about ? we need just input to find out why e.g. in my case is zero CTD and you report that you get often CTDs :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve found a solution that has worked for me solving numerous crashes and issues. For those of you that are playing on medium to high end systems and getting memory related crashes that should not be related to your hardware, I’ve found it to be almost 100% due to VRAM spikes that do not show up on your hardware monitors, but will otherwise spike your GPU usage to 100%, cause the sound stuttering issue and crash, and then give you a 0xc000005 code. It’s almost always due to terrain LOD slider and huge VRAM spikes - tested this for dozens of hours now.

I play on a 12700KF, 32GB, 3060ti, 2TB nvme, 1GB fiber connection. But I was still getting these problems. No matter what the settings or changes, it still kept cropping up. A few things to keep in mind - the majority of the CTD solutions are designed to ensure your GPU is running unconstrained, while trying to stabilize VRAM usage and mitigate performance issues. That said, please be sure your system and all drivers are up to date, and that you are operating the game and GPU at the highest possible performance settings. I have set it to 60FPS maximum, but 30FPS works as well. Even with no limiter, it was fine.

I run the game on Ultra with all setting maxed out and was getting 2GB to almost 3.2GB spikes in VRAM usage. If you are running your game in less intensive environments and you are near the VRAM threshold, you are 100% going to crash when flying low, or flying into cities and regional airports. In some instances, I would even gain 1.5GB to 2.0GB spike for seemingly no reason. Just flying through clouds, or flying into canyons.

I resolved the problem by ensuring the terrain level of detail keeps the VRAM usage under typical scenarios to about 4GB to 5GB. This solved the issues immediately. JFK spiked to 7.6GB, pretty much near my maximum threshold. You want to dial in your VRAM usage when flying high up or under normal, low intensity situations to around half of your total VRAM on your card.

It is also not unusual to just see random spikes flying in the French countryside, or over Japanese islands. These spikes in VRAM would happen relatively quickly and jump about 1.7GB in VRAM. You really want to have plenty of headspace.

I am not sure why some of these updates or flying situations have caused this spike. Turning off HAGS has also seemed to keep my VRAM usage more stable than when enabled, helping to mitigate spikes. What is also strange is that the menus will also use really high VRAM, so for those crashing in menus are early into flights, lowering LOD may resolve it.

When I try to up the terrain LOD over 100, it will work well in most situations but either comes too close to the threshold or crashes the game in very large cities. Texture supersampling seems to also have the biggest effect when dealing with VRAM spikes. The other settings seem to lessen it a little bit, but nothing as severe at the LOD slider and texture samples.

So before you lose your minds and chase gremlins like I did for hours on end, try to dial the VRAM in to half your total, fly some low intensity flights, and then test it in cities and see if that resolves your issues. After updating all the world files and such, this also resolved all of my grammar.ppgmod issue as well.

Hope this helps! You may even need to turn down the LOD to like 75 if you have a 4-6GB card and want to play with higher and ultra textures :frowning:

Have also the CTD problem when approaching larger airports. Want to try your suggestion to " You want to dial in your VRAM usage when flying high up or under normal, low intensity situations to around half of your total VRAM on your card. , but how do I do that… ?

I use EVGA precision or MSI Afterburner to monitor VRAM or memory usage. There are other GPU monitors out there, like Riva Tuner. Just pick one you like. You don’t have to really stress about clock settings. But it allows for better fan control and you can easily see graphs and logs. I would set your flight sim settings at a med default and just see how much usage you have, then start ramping up from there. When my game crashes it doesn’t really show on the monitors, just that the VRAM was near max and GPU usage spikes.

I’d like to share my experience because there is no doubt for me that the last windows 10 update from mid-january22 is 100% responsible for CTD in MSFS, at least on my computer. Once I installed it, I immediately started to experience CTD within 15 min each time I played. I can tell I’m sure 100% because fortunately, I’ve a ghost of my system from 02 January 22 and once I reinstalled it, not a single CTD anymore. Since 15 days, I stopped Windows Update and played hours and hours without any single problem. Today, I decided to give windows update another try since microsoft said the early February update will correct stability problem, first flight, 5 min, CTD… I don’t know what is it in this update but it’s not good for MSFS… now, I’m good to reinstall my 250Go ghost and block windows update for a long time… Also, I run MSFS in it’s own dedicated OS/SSD with minimum others softwares, all drivers up to date, and very clean installation. I’m sure about what I’m saying.

1 Like

In Safe mode the same flight was without any problem yesterday.
Today the same flight in normal mode, also without CTD…

Same here. CTD since October last year. Support blames NVidia but I’m on the latest installed driver. Totally fed up with this given the cost of the Flight Sim and the peripherals.

Dell XPS-8930

Intel(R) Core™ i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.19 GHz
Installed RAM16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)

Windows 11 Pro
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070

Saitek X52 Pro

1 Like

This is the latest event viewer app crash I copied -

here is the error as text:

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 2/13/2022 12:38:21 PM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Baddys-Gamer
Description:
Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.22.2.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.22.2.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000015c1e39
Faulting process id: 0x1890
Faulting application start time: 0x01d820bc313a7fb9
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: e3207761-d839-42ca-b247-ce4f84fdbd35
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application
Baddys-Gamer

FlightSimulator.exe
FlightSimulator.exe
c0000005
00000000015c1e39
01d820bc313a7fb9
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
e3207761-d839-42ca-b247-ce4f84fdbd35

and this is the information about crash:

Log Name: Application
Source: Windows Error Reporting
Date: 2/13/2022 12:38:24 PM
Event ID: 1001
Task Category: None
Level: Information
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Baddys-Gamer
Description:
Fault bucket 1725489538393157952, type 4
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: FlightSimulator.exe
P2: 1.22.2.0
P3: 00000000
P4: FlightSimulator.exe
P5: 1.22.2.0
P6: 00000000
P7: c0000005
P8: 00000000015c1e39
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERF961.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_FlightSimulator._de53e47eae747f4e4546824d892686493ecc14_17902907_011ac1ce-e4ae-4de9-b08f-d9f56fba0871

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: e3207761-d839-42ca-b247-ce4f84fdbd35
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket: 64775578162585e537f22b97d793b140
Cab Guid: 0
Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application
Baddys-Gamer

APPCRASH
Not available
FlightSimulator.exe
FlightSimulator.exe
c0000005
00000000015c1e39

\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERF961.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_FlightSimulator._de53e47eae747f4e4546824d892686493ecc14_17902907_011ac1ce-e4ae-4de9-b08f-d9f56fba0871

e3207761-d839-42ca-b247-ce4f84fdbd35
64775578162585e537f22b97d793b140

ok, thanks… this time not the grammar topic but unlucky the common 00005… without the context we can not say much. Can be caused from installed mod, from usb device disconned, from network hicks, account stuff, from system issue, many possible reasons…

But in case if the ctd happens in safe mode too, it may point to a system issue or sometime to login issue or cache becomes invalid… May try again the usually stuff like remove rollingcache and the “LocalCache” folders, etc… Feelt get a lot of users with a 3090 issues like that, so stay with limiting the fps to 30 and most important, and I cant stop to repeat it : revert all your overclocks ( independend that you think your CPU OC is not the reason , you will not notice the 0.1fps you get possible from your cpu oc in the test-phase ) and also revert all manuall settings related to app priority/affinity or something else. And stop parallel applications which are not needed and check known trouble-makers ( e.g. capture one ).

Old tricks like Offline ATC and so on you can also try… just in case there are network hicks in your case.

I don’t have any overclocks. I’ve done all the above and what you’ve recommended. Nothing is working, and I’m not computer engineer to figure it out. I shouldn’t even be doing all these system changes and setting adjustments to my pc and an app. The developer should patch everything to address all possible issues with all of people’s different PC setups, networks and any other outside factor(s). If this was the case with other games and apps then no one would be using them unless they are a part time software developer.

2 Likes