Crashing to Desktop (Jan. 2022)

I’ve been facing CTD’s for the longest time now even after this last (January) update. I’ve never had any issues with the application whatsoever since release date however ever since around late November I started crashing to desktop nonstop without any error message or no warning (other than the audio going out of sync). I’ve tried every fix on the forum that’s why I made a post. Tried reinstalling the app, fresh install of windows, reinstalled graphics drivers (older version and current), adding virtual memory, limiting frame rates to 30 FPS and many, many more attempts at fixing the issue. I thought logging on today and downloading the update would resolve whatever is making my title crash but to no avail. I should also mention that the A320 is the most stable module of all (crashes still happen but not often) ever since I applied the 30 FPS max frame limit to MSFS app in Nvidia control panel.

I have no other civilian flight simulator and I own thousands of dollars worth of flight gear (sticks, rudders, throttle and chair etc.) Please help me as this is an investment for me but I also really enjoy this title as we all do, there is no way for me going to X-plane or any other sim for that matter that even comes close.

I should also mention that I’m on the steam version and here are my system specs:
CPU: i9-10900K
GPU: Asus Rog Rtx 3090
RAM: 32 gbs corsair
Memory: Corsair MP600 Core M.2 2TB PCIe Gen 4.0
PCU: Asus 1200 Watts

Same here using the MS store version (PC Gamepass Standard):
Had such a CTD just tonight doing a flight (C-172) with preset weather and custom time/date settings after flying without any issues for about an hour:
(application error report in German):

Protokollname: Application
Quelle: Application Error
Datum: 07.01.2022 02:02:01
Ereignis-ID: 1000
Aufgabenkategorie:(100)
Ebene: Fehler
Schlüsselwörter:Klassisch
Benutzer: Nicht zutreffend
Computer: Flusi-PC
Beschreibung:
Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: FlightSimulator.exe, Version: 0.0.0.0, Zeitstempel: 0x00000000
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: FlightSimulator.exe, Version: 0.0.0.0, Zeitstempel: 0x00000000
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
Fehleroffset: 0x0000000000238293
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0xa44
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d80355f0bd04c8
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.21.18.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.21.18.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Berichtskennung: abd5d93b-de0b-445c-af71-7386f61d2d87
Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.21.18.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist: App
Ereignis-XML:

0x80000000000000

Application
Flusi-PC

FlightSimulator.exe
FlightSimulator.exe
c0000005
a44
01d80355f0bd04c8
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.21.18.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.21.18.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
abd5d93b-de0b-445c-af71-7386f61d2d87
Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.21.18.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
App

1 Like

Yes had one too late last night , previously I had a hour and half hour flight no problems

I think in my case it was the FBW developmental version and I was flicking a lot of switches at the time it CTD but I’m not trying to make excuses

Had it again, trying the same flight as tonight, using just original content, and according to the error log it seems that this time it crashed because of a graphics driver fault - I am on the latest AMD driver for my 5700XT GPU (21.12.1):

Protokollname: Application
Quelle: Application Error
Datum: 07.01.2022 10:04:53
Ereignis-ID: 1000
Aufgabenkategorie:(100)
Ebene: Fehler
Schlüsselwörter:Klassisch
Benutzer: Nicht zutreffend
Computer: Flusi-PC
Beschreibung:
Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: FlightSimulator.exe, Version: 0.0.0.0, Zeitstempel: 0x00000000
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: atidxx64.dll, Version: 30.0.14011.3017, Zeitstempel: 0x61a71326
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
Fehleroffset: 0x000000000005378a
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0xe6c
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d8039d1d021b4e
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.21.18.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0374383.inf_amd64_12cfd68385ecddd5\B374323\atidxx64.dll
Berichtskennung: f451ca33-c021-4e78-af88-f290e3353777
Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.21.18.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist: App
Ereignis-XML:

0x80000000000000

Application
Flusi-PC

FlightSimulator.exe
atidxx64.dll
61a71326
c0000005
000000000005378a
e6c
01d8039d1d021b4e
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0374383.inf_amd64_12cfd68385ecddd5\B374323\atidxx64.dll
f451ca33-c021-4e78-af88-f290e3353777
Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.21.18.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
App

Edit: This time I was about 30 min. flying, using real time, weather and traffic

3 Likes

Sorry to hear that, try rolling back a driver that you have had good results with in the past

At least you know that it’s a graphics driver issue

Good luck

2 Likes

Well, maybe it is, but in the prior event it was the Flightsimulator.exe that caused the crash. Plus: the very last AMD driver works else very well in DCS (my 1st most important flightsim), so I wouldn’t like to roll back to just get trouble there, too.

As early as NVIDIA GPU prices would reach affordable regions again I will switch back to their GPUs, because I realized from a lot of other users that their drivers work much better at least in VR. And as my 5700XT can’t run MSFS in decent settings at all in VR and works just so lala in DCS in VR, too, that will be my preferred solution - and hopefully to get rid of those crashes, too. But I think that won’t happen before end of this year or even not earlier than late '23 :frowning:

Are you using any overclocks? What add-ons do you have in your community folder?

Yes, that’s been happening to me a lot lately. Even though I always leave the community folder empty. From what I have learned, it may have something to do with Live Traffic/Multiplayer, so I always leave them off. I don’t fly without Live Weather so that’s not an option. The GPU Drivers from NVidia could also have interferred. It’s a constant battle, but worth it I’d say.

Probably smth is wrong with your GPU drivers.

Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: atidxx64.dll ,

Only using a CPU overclock but nothing too crazy. No all add-ons I have are in-game my community folder is empty. I bought the 737, 777 and some airports but my community folder is empty still so that’s not an issue.

when the users would accept that in case of issue the first thing to do must be : disable OC … each kind of OC ?

@SchiffKamm22057 … did you already tried to limit the max fps for msfs ?.. ( and of course, just in case, disable all OC in case you have one in ATI tool enabled :wink: )

2 Likes

If you have nothing in your community folder and you have done a clean install, the issue is most likely with your overclock. Overclocks aren’t recommended with MSFS, however if stable, overclocks are fine with MSFS. The problem is many overclocks aren’t stable and instability will always result in a CTD.

If you’re familiar with OCCT, my advice would be to run a CPU:OCCT test and a CPU:Linpack test with AVX enabled. If you have hyperthreading enabled in BIOS, make sure you have All Logical Cores checked as well. If your overclock passes both tests run an HCI Memtest. If you make it to 1000% with no errors, your overclock should be stable enough for MSFS.

it was crashing to desktop without any error message long before I applied CPU OC

2 Likes

I don’t think the issue is with the overclock because it was crashing to desktop without any error messages long before I started overclocking my CPU only and not my GPU.

3 Likes
  • Yes, max FPS are already limited within AMD to the max FreeSync Freq. my monitor can use and only standard performance profile is activated.:

(Screens were taken when only desktop was running, but thats the same config I use when playing flightsims - the PC is dedicated to this exlusively)

• CPU (11700k) runs on standard Z590 Turbo Mode and DDR4/3200 RAM with its embedded XMP Profile

• Plus within MS FS I have Vsync with 60 FPS activated to lower the FPS during the loading phase

So, I really doubt thats the real cause of this CTDs I see as DCS or XP 11 run without issues with the same configuration. Maybe FS2020 is a bit more taxing than those older sims, but the system info provided e.g. via AMD overlay shows no extraordinary stress (my system is more then well cooled, temps for CPU and GPU are far from top values that would cause throtteling them…) when those CTDs happen.

within the windows event log there is a kind of message… not best one, but sometime we get a little hint whats may be wrong ( example: sound drivers, etc ). May you can add these log message.

I’m not able anymore to launch the game after the last patch 1.21.18.0. When I launch from Steam, it starts to load, I see the first images with the loading bar on the bottom, and then, almost at the end of the loading bar, I see black screen for a second and then back to my desktop.
Yesterday I updated the game, immediately after the update I didn’t exit, I played directly and it seemed to work, even if I noticed much more slowness and less fuidity in gameplay, some stuttetings, in comparison to what happened before the update. I didn’t change settings or something else. Then, I wanted to play online, and after loading the flight, I saw my plane on the runway for a while and then the game crashed. I tried to launch again the game, but since that moment, it has been impossible. Now it crashes immediately, I don’t even arrive at the main menu…
What is happening???

Hi @SchiffKamm22057 … a max fps of 144 is a limit, but still a very high value and not what I had in mind :slight_smile: ( I assume it let run your GPU allways in full load ). You can try test-cases with a much lower fps values ( e.g. starting with 30 and go stepwise to your 144 ). ( isnt it possible with these ati-tool to set a limit for msfs only , and not global ? )
A note about in-game vsync setting: a setting of 60fps is not a limit to 60fps, it means like max-vsync-fps ( step 0 ). Its only 60fps for a 60fps monitor. For a 144fps monitor you can not limit in this way in-game for lower than 60fps and therefore external limit is important ( e.g. like you done in ati tool ).

We have not less cases in special with AMD cards. Because I own nvidia, I’am not so familiar with these AMD tool… just be be sure that you not have enabled features like Auto-tune etc ( which is nothing else as Auto-Overclocking :slight_smile: ).

Also I’am allways not a fan of settings like “anti lag” ( limits cpu load ) etc… often these stuff is useless ( you will not noticed any difference ) and cause more trouble than it is usefull. Same for a re-sharpen of the image etc… ( this stuff is worst on TV and also often worst on PC, beside of the extra system load ).

1 Like

community folder is empty ?

what the error message from windows event log ?

you reach the safe mode choice ? if yes, does it works fine in safe mode ?

That’s to my knowledge not possible for the MS-Store version (I have the Standard from the PC GamePass) as there the EXE hides behind a kind of secured folder within Windows and can’t be choosen separately and the actual AMD driver doesn’t recognize MSFS as a option to apply individual settings, too. Hopefully this ‘closed shop’ systems gets changed by MS some day, because other applications like Opentrack, that I use for TIR function, struggle with that as well.

I have to check that back, but as far as I understand the logic behind this setting is that it limits the max FPS to it and not drives the GPU always at its max while its not needed - that’s why I had checked VSYNC with 60 Hz in FS as well.

I don’t use such features as they cause more trouble than really help with performance. The factory settings of my Red Devil 5700XT are well optimized for max performance from the scratch.

I will check that, too, but I really doubt its causing the CTDs as long as FS is not doing strange stuff or the AMD driver got faulty for the actual FS version - it should be optimized for MSFS since several releases, but who knows which IT Gremlins are doing their stuff :crazy_face: