Creating a "proper" KAP140 mod

Hello,

Some time ago, Chris wrote a ‘proof of concept’ KAP140 fix. He discussed it here.

I have tried using his modified KAP140.js and it did not work for for me, so I took the latest version of Microsoft / Asobo KAP140.js file, and applied the exact same changed Chris had done back in Aug 2020. It works as far as I can tell (captures glide slope, allows ARM to be used). I forked his code and you can grab a version that works with 1.14.6.0 here.

But the ‘mod’ is done by replacing original Microsoft / Asobo file with the modified one. Obviously less than ideal for more reasons than one.

I was wondering if anyone familiar with creating MSFS 2020 mods would be inclined to either take this somewhat fixed version of KAP140.js and wrap it in a proper mod or failing that - assist me with trying to do so.

Needless to say - if I knew how to do it I wouldn’t be asking for help :slight_smile: I can kind of understand what is going on in the modded file, but but let’s jus say I had to create a Github account in order to make this fork :roll_eyes: I don’t know the first thing about MSFS 2020 mods or API (of if Microsoft / Asobo have plans to fixed KAP140 or other ‘steam gauges’ avionics like GNS 530/ 430 and we might as well wait for them rather than try and fix things).

Thank you,
Michael

3 Likes

You seem to also make changes to the AS530.js, is that intentional?
That would conflict with the very popuplar GNS530 mod which would be unfortunate.

Wrapping a mod for the community folder isn’t very hard, but if you’re creating a mod read-to-use you basically also should commit to maintain it which is why it doesn’t really make sense if someone takes your changes and creates a mod file without continuing the support for it.
With every MSFS update you basically need to check what changed and if that interferes with your mod and provide an update. Otherwise the mod gets abandoned very quickly.

I cannot see the need to modify the AS530.js file – and in any case, the one given in this example does not appear to be derived from the current Asobo Version.

The edit of KAP140.js is interesting, as it does add the “ALT ARM” ability, that is completely missing in the current Asobo version.
(but looks like an Edit of the version from back in Aug 2020 !! )

As mentioned in this Thread, if only the KAP140.js is to be modded, the construction of the Mod is quite straightforward.

That being said, there is a lot of room for improvement to the current KAP140, but any MOD for the KAP140 should keep updated to reflect any changes done in the Asobo base KAP140.js (ie be kept up to date)

In AUG 2020 Chris worked on both files. Only KAP140.js is in scope here.

The KAP140 mod caught my attention, because I am currently working on a KAP140 mod, which includes the functional changes in Chris’s Mod.
Like most Mods, it often needs Updating when Asobo updates the SIM, which makes Modding a long term commitment.

Do you mean by that that my ‘initiative’ would basically duplicate what you are already working on? Or should I still try and create a ‘proper’ mod?

Chris’s MOD for the KAP140 looks good. Just tried it :slight_smile:

• Captures current VS
  • Alt Arm Works

Seems stable and works with current version of MSFS … whats not to like ?

Hopefully Chris will actively maintain it, and make it available to the MSFS Community

You should definitely go forward and create a Proper Mod …if that’s what you would like to do
(what I did was really just for my own amusement !!)

I am more than willing to share with you the other things I have done to improve the KAP140, and to help you (if you want) to put it into the correct “MOD” format.

I had no plans to formally release my version.

I’m a bit confused. Chris’s original mod does not work. The fork does :wink: Chris has not touched his code since Aug 2020 best I can tell. That is why I wanted to take his ideas and wrap them into a proper mod. If someone is willing to help or at least point me to info on how to create a ‘super simple’ mod involving just one single KAP140.js file (or by all means - anyone’s more than welcome just do the mod :slightly_smiling_face: )

LOL - our messages crossed :wink: Deal!

Do you use DISCORD - will be FAR easier to communicate there …
Will wait to hear back from you …

Did anything ever come of this? I’ve been messing with the current KAP140.js to better enable the display on an arduino/Mobiflight KAP140 I built, and would like to incorporate the arming feature. Happy to help with any collaboration on this.

Yes, pls have a look here:

https://github.com/m-chomiczewski/MC_KAP140_MOD

Thx,
Michael

FYI - arming works, VS capture works, arming by simply turning knobs works… AP engage works when HDG button is pressed. And I implemented UP / DOWN functionality in ALT mode to go up / down by 100 FT (because chaning by 20 ft like real device is not supported in MSFS). This works… most of the time. Best I can tell, the default version (making the ‘coherent’ call to increase altitude by 20 ft) more often than not results in a massive climb very soon leading to stall. The +100 / -100 ft version at least is not trying to killl you :slight_smile: even if it does not seem to work every time you press the buttons…

Any case - happy for you to join the party. If you can’t tell - I have no idea how version numbers should work or how to work github all that well in respect to readmes… but hopefully what’s there now is atleast a start.
@N6722C fixed text formatting issues as well (at least in cessna I think ?) using wrong altemeter value. Not yet implemented in this mod.

(GitHub - m-chomiczewski/MC_KAP140_MOD)

1 Like

Is there a licensing requirement for this mod, Anyone use it in any capacity? Don’t see anything about licensing. Thanks, works nicely.

No licensing required. Open srouce, free to use.

Michael

1 Like

was looking for a KAP140 fix and discovered this thread. however i’m curious if it fixes the problem I’m having.

As I’m sure everyone’s noticed, the KAP140 VS mode seems to severely lack the authority to maintain your entered vertical speed when changing power settings. it’s like the elevator trim authority only exists in a tiny range and if it needs to move the trim more it gets stuck, and so you either sink like a rock or climb like a rocket.

Does this mod fix the elevator authority for better VS mode? thanks for any info

PS i made a thread about the issue here: BN-2 Vertical Speed Autopilot - Third Party Addon Discussion / Aircraft - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

The WB-SIM Enhansement Mod for the Asobo C172SP Classic, includes a 100% Accurately simulated KAP140, that operates exactly as described in the Bendix KAP140 Pilot’s User Manual.

ie All feature are Functional - The closes yet to a “Study Level” KAP140 for MSFS

His question was, how does this mod compare?
Unless the WB-Sim mod of the KAP140 can be used in conjunction with other planes?

The Mod is an integral part of the WB-SIM Plane mode, and is a integral part of the plane, interfacing to other instruments and controls in the plane.
So you get the benefit of a fully working and integrated KAP140 AP, in the WB-Sim C172 Mod, when you purchase the payware WB-SIM C172 enhancement mod.