Cruising speed & altitude (also manually input FMS)

Hey everyone!

I am having some challenges maintaining a cruise speed on the CRJ. I’ve been stuck ~ 140 knots. Double checked that all flaps and spoilers are up. Am I missing something here?

Additionally, just wondering whether when I put in the flight plan in manually if ATC recognizes it? Haven’t been able to trigger this yet.

Thanks!

1 Like

It sounds like you have Speed selected in the AP with a 140 limit.
A screen shot is always helpful, saves guessing usually.

If you put the flight plan in manually, ATC will not recognize it unless you have also put it in using the flight planner in MSFS.

1 Like

You see in that third picture, the VNAV climb profile? It says you need to stay at a speed of 290 until you get to mach 0.74, then stay at mach 0.74 until cruise altitude. If you climb too slowly you won’t be able to maintain speed.

I speed up to 290 as soon as possible, just above 10,000 feet altitude.

Issues:

1. You are using VS mode and not SPEED mode. VS is for climbs above 30,000 feet and descents.
  2. The engine page is saying CRZ so it seems the throttles aren’t in CLB (climb) mode. Trying to climb in a fuel economy mode is not going to work well.

Much slower and you’ll stall. This is exactly whe the tutorials and real pilots say SPEED mode must be used.

I’ll say if if it isn’t obvious. You are in MODERN physics mode yeah?Obviously this isn’t an FSX aircraft so legacy would be a bad thing.

Appreciate the insight.

Response to:

1. When I dropped it into SPEED, I stayed at the current altitude. I feel like I was doing something wrong?
  2. At that point, I was trying everything, including putting it to max to try and increase speed. Eventually I got it up to speed by playing around with the SPEED button.

Will rewatch the dude’s tutorials - much more a visual on this.

Modern physics is on by standard.

Will try tomorrow and report back :slight_smile:

Fly the Tutorial flight. It’s in your documents that came with the plane.

Speed may stay or near the current altitude until it gets to the target speed.

The videos are good but it is really easy to miss stuff. So you need to use the tutorial document as well. But even then I found it tough. The tutorial is OK but there are issues with how it is written. IT may not bug most people but I’m not most people :slight_smile:

So, I was not flying the CRJ properly until I hit the Aerosoft forums and saw the responses to other having issues. A lot of people try to fly it like an Airbus or Boeing. The lack of auto-throttle and the fact that this FMS is not the same means there are differences in how they should be flown.

Good luck!

1 Like

I mean - I’ve got it at about 75-80% there cold to dark from watching Drawyah and the Dude’s videos as well as having a basic understanding of it all.
I’ll have a read through on it to fill in the blanks

Really appreciate the detailed response! :slight_smile:

Honestly - I really enjoy flying this and the CRJ (I was using one of the mods for it).
I really enjoy the plane and do not regret blindly purchasing it at all. Life is busy, so time is limited (lockdown isn’t a thing where I am either). Will have a read through the tutorial to fill in the gaps.

I followed the tutorial flight - still work to do, but do I have to manually control the VS when in SPD mode? It wants to do like 5000 f/m lol

No, you can use VS mode, You just have to be careful or you will stall. A lot of people seem to think you can’t stall at over 200 knots. Stall is nothing to do with your speed. It is AoA.

Also, make sure you put the throttle in the CLB detent after getting past 1,000 feet or so. It isn’t supposed to stay in TOGA or you wear out the engine. Engine wear isn’t modeled unfortunately so we can abuse it as much as we like.

The whole point is of course to get high quickly for at least three reasons:

1. Less fuel usage
  2. Faster the trip.
  3. If there is an engine problem, the higher you are the more time/options you have.
1 Like

Fantastic!
Loving the plane – thanks for all your help!

1 Like