CTD/Black screens increased a lot with LOD fix on xbox

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and add-ons? Yes

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it? No

Brief description of the issue: (SERIES S) Since AA1 beta update and fix of LOD issues on xbox, the CTD and black screens have increased drastically compared to the public released version. In the public version I was able to use 3rd party addons with any aircraft and now it just CTD everytime I try to fly, even if the airport is default.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered: Not able to since always CTD

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered: Start a flight from gate, try to program and get the aircraft ready. CTD secured 100% of the time

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant: xbox controller, mouse and keyboard

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OPā€™s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OPā€™s steps to reproduce it?

I can fly both with add-on aircraft and stock in-game aircraft.

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

I seem to be able to fly fine until, I land once I land whether itā€™s at a default airport or add-on, it crashes once you land and taxi.

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

I am unable to do so due to the CTD.

2 Likes

Iā€™m on the Xbox Series X.
Iā€™ve noticed a big increase in CTDs too, so much so that Iā€™ve opted out of the beta. First time Iā€™ve had to do that.
I tried the TBM-930, Citation, and Longitude. The only way I was able to get them to work was at a stock airport with minimal scenery in the area. Instant CTD with any 3rd party airport, or hand crafted Asobo airport. I was thinking that maybe the updated avionics in these aircraft (which looked very nice btw), were causing the issue because of increased memory usage, but I donā€™t think thatā€™s the case.
Tried many of my other aircraft, and the same thing was happening. CTD after CTD at any hand crafted or 3rd party airport. Everything was working after SU11, which to me was the best update weā€™ve had. Now version 1.30.5.0 seems like a step backwards. Asobo please fix this problem before the release candidate.

9 Likes

Series X here. A LOT of CTDs. Usually while loading a flight. Also restarting the sim seems to take longer now so the CTDs are extra annoying. Havenā€™t had a CTD mid flight yet.

But, oof. Last night I had at least 3 CTDs. 2 with the Longitude. 1 with the Vision Jet.

I had one or two the day before as well, but wasnā€™t paying attention to what I was flying.

3 Likes

I receive an occasional crash to desktop on XSX but not too many. Have you reset your rolling cache to see if it makes a difference or not yet? Letā€™s not forget that this is a beta and not the final version.

If you are experiencing CTD with the new Vision Jet, itā€™s a known issue on the developerā€™s discord channel.

Is there any evidence to suggest that repeated CTDs could damage our consoles?

2 Likes

A few CTDs, unusual for me on Xbox Series X.

Iā€™m not particularly upset with them, bu lt there have been a few. Havenā€™t found a pattern yet as played too little to be of use. But these have involved various aircraft including (and Iā€™m wary of naming as may not be the causal factor) A310 and C414AW. This has been at addon airport Toulouse and also at default (very) basic airport France: Puivert lfnw, and add on Yellow Pine US.

Like i say itā€™s not been too painful as the A310 flight i hadnā€™t gone to the trouble of inputting a flight plan and the Yellow Pine was C414AW after shutting down the systems, following landing.

Just for info really.

1 Like

I have erased LFBO tonight because CTD at landingā€¦

Will try default one tomorrow to see what happens

I have also erased lfpo, lfll , lfml addons. Will see what will be tomorrow with those locations addons free

1 Like

I have been lucky with CTDā€™s on flight sim, can probably count on one hand the number Iā€™ve had in the last year and a bit. But when I loaded into the beta in the Vision Jet I got a CTD immediately. When I reloaded, I adjusted the map detail in the MFD to show less detail (only show small towns when I zoom in a lot) and Iā€™ve had about 6 hours of various flights in different places (big cities, small towns, heavy traffic, light traffic) and everythingā€™s been very stable.

We talk a lot about VRAM limitations on the XBOX, I wonder if thereā€™s also some CPU bandwidth issues. I know a big limitation of the CPU on the series consoles is very limited on board cache.

1 Like

Well this issue was specifically identified in the release notes for the beta version. But at least they did mention that they were aware of the issue and working to fix it (hopefully in an ā€œin-betaā€ update vs the January update).
Regards

ā€œKnown Issues
Users on the Series S hardware may currently experience a higher rate of crashes due to low memory when using the TBM and Longitude. The team is aware of the issue and working towards a solution.ā€
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/release-notes-1-30-5-0-aau-i-dec-5th-2022/562540

1 Like

For contrast, Iā€™m not having many CTDs, maybe 2 or 3.

Iā€™ve been using the CJ4, Longitude and TBM 930 nearly exclusively to contribute to the bug finding/testing during the beta.

Iā€™ve used 3rd party airports:
ā€¢ KOAK
ā€¢ KCRQ
ā€¢ KFLG
ā€¢ KSBP
ā€¢ PAJN

I know there are, currently, some memory leaks with the G3000/5000 avionics mentioned by Matt at WT. I assumed my CTDs were related to those.

1 Like

I read an article about how Xboxā€™s enemy is its own operating system. According to the article Microsoft is intentionally blocking XSX from reaching it is full capabilities. They can unshackle the XSX through system updates but wonā€™t do so. I wonder why.

Source, please. Iā€™d like to read that.

4 Likes

I wish I could find that article myself.I did not have the time to find out why Microsoft is doing this. I will try to Google it. I will link the source here if I can find it.

1 Like

To me it seems like some LOD conflict with 3rd party stuff. I have some areas like HI that has birds, cranked up traffic, the ships, etc so itā€™s a pretty full area. No issues, coming into to even some smaller airports and getting CTDā€™s. Seems to time out RIGHT when that last full-detail drop comes in at most airports is when it craps out. Either flying over or on approach. I will say itā€™s fantastic having general LOD back rather than flying in the tiny bubble of ā€˜worldā€™ that you can see beyond in every direction the public version.

1 Like

I havenā€™t flown a ton yet on the new beta version, but in the time that I have it has certainly not been as stable as the last public version, but the crashes have been infrequent enough that Iā€™ve still enjoyed flying it, and itā€™s still MILES better than the disaster that was SU 9. One thing I notice is that there is a lot of audio crackling and glitching happening, even while the sim is initially loading. These audio crackles and dropouts have always been a sign that the sim was close to crashing.

All of that said, the restoration of much of the scenery detail on the XBOX version has been fantastic and going backward again on image quality in order to chase performance issues is a non-starter as far as Iā€™m concerned. Image quality is what sets this sim apart, so it should be non-negotiable. Water it down and we might as well just use X-Plane. I would actually rather have a crash here and there than go back to the extremely dumbed down image quality that we had to endure prior to this update.

If excellent image quality with at least acceptable performance canā€™t be achieved on XBOX (even though we had both with SU 7 - another story) then Iā€™d rather shelve the sim until Microsoft releases a mid-gen update to the console or just switch to PC. In fact, if Microsoft is truly serious about making this title a standout exclusive on XBOX, then they really need to release a ā€œSuper Series Xā€ as soon as possible. Iā€™d be willing to pay a premium for one right now if it was available.

2 Likes

I play on the series x
I find I can load any aircraft from any airport on a fresh full boot of the game.
The first few flights are usually ok.
If I have to go to the xbox dashboard then I am assured of a crash in the next hour or so.
Quick resume generally is very unstable, although once in a while I can get an hour or so in before the inevitable crash.

Still love playing the game, nothing else has had a look in really apart from Elden Ring on PS5.

I do know for a fact that all console games are subject to a list called either TRC or TCR from either Sony or Microsoft that they have to pass before being released. This list includes length of loading screens, stability, quality of UI etc, and even at itā€™s most stable this game should fail - more surprising when itā€™s Microsoftā€™s own baby.
Seems a bit unfair to any other developers who may have their releases delayed while they satisfy all the points on said list.

I also worry about all the crashes and overheating cooking hardware - that must be a concern for Asobo - as a player I donā€™t want to know as ignorance is bliss, but I do wonder, perhaps from a scientific point of view, if anyone has had hardware failure due to CTDs etc?

1 Like

Maybe what is needed at this point for the Xbox is an option for LOD. Those who have a lot of 3rd party content can have better performance, and those that want better image quality can have that as well. It seems that there isnā€™t enough memory to have both, so under the circumstances a choice would be nice. Sim update 11 arguably may have gone too far for performance, while this latest version in the beta may have gone too far for visuals. If a balance canā€™t be achieved, leave it up to the individual user.

3 Likes

I am all for that option.

But I am not convinced these crashes are entirely related to the LOD fix.

Sometimes two things happen independently of each other.

2 Likes

I just wish we could get a definitive explanation for what is going on, so we can all actually understand it.

4 Likes