CTD immediately and every time after pressing yellow 'FLY' button

Not yet, might try later. It did download a 18.xMB update after moving but that was this one “asobo-aircraft-103solo-smallwheels-livery-xbox-aviators”, can’t be the reason to crash an entire game I would say.

All the weird things I tried earlier to solve it I did put back to my originals PC state which is stable anyway because of my 3D render work.

I’m sure Asobo does fix some other things as well, my GPU for example is only used about 50-60% unless I’m inside one of the menu’s, should be the other way around.

That’s not true, if you change the line in the UserCfg.opt it won’t download the entire game again. That’s what I did yesterday. First it wanted to download 124GB, I changed the line to point to right location and… up and running.

2 Likes

thats interessting… thanks for info. You moved the packages folder first ?

If you use this option in steam (make another library on another drive before) it will just move all, basically the same as you did but with this you can’t make any mistake about moving it to the wrong folder. So afterwards (takes some time, copying 150GB, but it will tell you if it’s finished) you change the line in the UserCfg.opt file to point at the right location again. For me it is: E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\InstalledPackages

I actually use the move game option quite a lot since my nvme ain’t that big so just moving some other games out of it (since I got more and more MSFS addons) works great.

To be complete… this is how you create an extra Steam Library folder

steam2

Hey,

In my case I had no CTD but freezes / black screens when pressing FLY, but I was able to fix it:

maybe this helps!

1 Like

If I’m right basically you also ended up using a different drive for the game. It’s so odd that it fixes something like that but like you, happy now as well.

I have a folder for the Steam lib ( more exact I have many steam libs :wink: ) and a different folder where MSFS installs its own “package” content ( first time I used msfs default which installs all to %AppData%\Micro…\Packages , later on I moved the “data” (packages) to G: drive ).

( thus, there are three folder involved in my case: steam lib , %appdata%\Mic… , and G:…packages )

May be you installed all data into the steam lib path and therefore it worked. But also in your case tell you the steam app, that you have only 1.09GB content ( which is only the application , as I mentioned ).

Or did you mean that you only moved the “application” folder and not the data folder ?

Why I ask is related to what @gordongreig asked… and in case you “Move” in steam the folder, then steam also Re-Check the application-installation. May be somewhat was fixed while these “move”.

I think you mean with ‘packages’ the Community folder under InstalledPackages? I leave that one out of my story since those are separate from the real game. Best to start with an empty one as well after a big update.

But my ‘real’ community content is still at my Nvme since I use an addon manager to just create symbolic links in the game folder (now on E). Those numbers you see are also without the community folder, mine is for example -uhum- 672GB but I enabled Windows real time compression on it so it’s 451GB on my nvme. Nice save of over 200GB and you won’t notice a thing while loading the game.

[edit]
Steam doesn’t really check a thing, just the flighsimulator.exe which is just a launcher. But if you like rename an original MSFS game folder or rename some on %appdata% it will recreate or redownload those folders (that’s what the game inspects while it says it looks for updates). I did it with the fs_base folder, after rename it downloaded like those 13GB or so again.

about these I’am also a bit confused. The folder name in my case is “packages” :thinking:

and these explain it… thus “normal” users should be carefull with usage of " Steam move ".
At least they should should former backup the “packages” folder :slight_smile:

it is the application and these folder contains also steam specifiy “things”. I installed these 1.09GIG into my main Steam lib.

this is about I wrote. Normaly lies within %appdata…packages" the sceneries, etc… ( all the huge content ). And this can users move to another drive without redownload. This contains not executable.

I assume with Steam move is somewhat fixed at your msfs installation… but who knows.

Ah I now understand which folder you mean, the normal ‘packages’ folder under appdata/roaming etc. Well I just renamed that one in an earlier step trying to solve my problem. That folder has nothing to do with the base game but gets used with some addons. I now have only some files of the Working Title CJ4 in it.

Think for this thread it’s better to focus on the game. Community folder, or packages all can be empty. Basically the only folder that matters is the folder where it has FlightSimulator.exe and all it’s sub-dirs. All other files/folders just get recreated if they don’t exists.

For troubleshooting I for example renamed about everything in %appdata% besides the UserCfg.opt (if you remove that one you need to reinstall I read somewhere).

There is a big difference between packages and the Community folder inside ‘InstalledPackages’ the community folder should hold your addons, liveries, aircrafts, sceneries etc and the ‘packages’ folder should only have some cache files generated by for example the CJ4 mod, CRJ etc. But still, those content gets recreated as soon you use that addon again.

1 Like

It’s worth remembering that external drives are mostly designed to make data portable, not run apps from them which at least in part is what MFSF does with the community and official folders as it needs continual access. USB controllers can also be flaky especially with cheap no name contraptions and even the quality of the cable is a factor, if it’s not the original it could even be configured differently.

Edit: and thinking about it I’ve never encountered a portable app that doesn’t load itself wholly into ram before becoming functional, not that they don’t exist but I think it unusual and is only asking for trouble.

You can add KLAX to the list of airports that I cant load from…sigh

Take a look at my post maybe it can help

Having same issue since su5. Instant CTD when clicking the fly now button. It’s been many weeks since I’ve even seen a runway or the air this is absolutely ridiculous. Never had one CTD before su5 and the dumb hot fixes didn’t do shyte. Even moved the game off my ssd to my c drive and nothing helped

1 Like

Totally agree with you. I work hard enough all day ling and just want to come home and fly. But that’s impossible right now and extremely disappointing. We should not have to have a degree in IT to play a stupid game. It should work when we click it end of story. This is the only program on my pc that has issues.

1 Like

Too bad moving it to a different harddrive didn’t work for you. I tried to move it back from SATA drive E to a nvme D (where it originally was) but immediately crashed pressing FLY again. It’s weird and from Zendesk I only get stupid automatic replies.

1 Like

I did move it back yesterday and immediately it crashed again pressing FLY. Just so weird, so moved it back to the SATA and no problems again.

1 Like

OzBoz, Sim update SU5 patch 2 has killed my simulator. I have CTD’s when I press fly on the Discovery flights. If I do manage to get flying I get a CTD as soon as I touch my trim wheel. This was a complete re-install on Friday with all the old files and folders removed. I am on the verge of giving up now for the time being. My anti-aliasing looks poor and the buildings appear topple to the right and to the left repeatedly like falling dominos as I look at them if the plane is moving. It’s almost like the shadows are switching on and then off. It’s so weird and looks very ugly. This is happening in the mid-distance and I am not moving my head. I had so few CTD’s before this latest patch. The developers may have cured the CTD’s for some but created them for a new audience! :laughing:

BRGDS. Charles.

Charles, sorry to hear. I changed some LOD things in usercfg.opt to 4.00000 and that made my game look better as ever. But it’s not that stable if I’ve some addons loaded. You could try to move the files to another drive but think that’s only possible if you’ve the Steam version. Foes take a while as well.

I also added a thing on Zendesk that it kills FPS if you undock for example the ATC window. Drops my FPS from 56-32. I usually have those on a different monitor so it doesn’t clutter the screen so much so took me a while I noticed that if you dock them you suddenly have around 25 FPS more. Here is a small clip for my Zendesk friends (who actually are scripts doing auto replies) https://youtu.be/t9l1UZt_DTc

1 Like