CTD same place in two similar flights

I am experiencing a CTD in a flight. Same flight Seattle to LAX with real time weather but only group mode and AI planes, no mods, flying an A320. I just get to the top of the climb start cruising and the game stutters once, freezes, then crashes to desktop. It actually happened flying at 21k feet just as I was approaching the third mountain peak after leaving Seattle, so I was actually cruising and in 2x speed rate (or whichever speed it is after two presses of the rate button).

It happened the same place yesterday on exactly the same flight! But then I wasnt playing the game sped up, and the weather was different but still live weather and only AI planes.

The even stranger thing is this exact same thing happened to me a few months ago when I was flying a Caravan from Locarno to Venice - it would do exactly the same thing mid way through the flight - and it happened about three times in three successive flights.

But then it stopped happening and I havent had a single CTD for ages - until now. It seems to have started again.

Its very frustrating as there is nothing I can do about it! My computer is clean, up to date drivers, settings are all on high not ultra.

Computer is a Ryzen 7 with 16GB Ram game on SSD, game version is XBOX Gamepass standard version and like I say no mods or addons other than the free ones.

I suggest clearing your cache… see if that helps.

Cheers! :slight_smile:

I had a similar problem with the upgraded Vancouver airport purchased from the “Marketplace.” The designer suggested clearing the cache. I did and it seems to have solved the problem. Then I had two CDTs on the approach to Palermo, for which I had added an upgrade from Flightsim.to. That was after I had cleared the cache, so who knows! Would be interested if anyone encountered the same problem with the Palermo mod. For now, I’ve just taken it out of my Community Folder.

I have palermo airport mod from giovywise and no crash

Look for the “simconnect CTD” in the search function, that bug seems to be hitting a lot of folks.
That may be your reason.

be sure that you have increased your windows virtual memory (pagefile). You need 32Gig overall… Example: 4Gig Min , 20Gig Max ( or 30 ).

Please try it , with increased memory setting again. If again CTD at same position please share the position with us, so we can also check it. There are some rare issues caused at specific positions. Create a ZenDesk Ticket.

Please mention addtional settings, e.g. whether you use “simulation acceleration”.

Well I did everything suggested. I increased my swap file to 32GB and I deleted my cache. Did exactly the same flight again - Seattle to LAX in an A320. Tried speeding up time a bit as well. Got a lot further this time. Started my descent from 21000 to 11000, was in normal speed, and my computer CTD again! Absolutely no reason for these crashes to occur! I havent changed anything in the sim over the last few weeks, and these crashes have just started out of nowhere over the last couple of days. Very frustrating. I just cannot play the game like this. Here is the error report (I believe):

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5fda32ba
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5fda32ba
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000004c20bc
Faulting process ID: 0x3af8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6f680262e7547
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.12.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.12.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report ID: c9179960-b81f-49d2-bfab-da6f1937cea9
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.12.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

Well I say I havent changed anything. The only things I changed over the last week were putting lens correction on, putting vsync on, limiting the fps to 60, and raising the default cockpit camera eye view up a little bit. Thats all I’ve changed.

I’ve put these back the way I had them (lens correction off, vsync opff, framerate limit off) so we will see if there is any improvement but I am doubting that it will be anything to do with those.

I dont see how it could be anything to do with map data errors etc because all three of these CTDs have happened in different places along the same route.

I’m going to suggest you search for the simconnect CTD issue.
That might be your problem.

this was my question

So I completed the flight at last!! I put my virtual memory back to system managed (because that wasnt the issue here). Also doubt very much where errors on the route were the issue because I completed the flight ok this time.

The things I reverted in order to be successful were:
Turned vsync back off
Turned off restrict framerate to 60fps
Turned back on use generic plane skins only
Turned off lense correction.

One of those thing seems to have stopped my crashes but obviously with only one successful flight in hand I have to do more testing.

Will report back after a week or so to give some time to see how it goes. But like I say I wasnt getting any crashes at all a week ago and I am pretty sure one of these changes caused them.

I dont know what the simconnect issue is but if it is to do with the non-generic aircraft skins for AI planes (because I dont play multiplayer) that could well be the issue.

Anyway if I get another crash that will confuse the hell out of me lol. But here’s hoping its resolved.

you mean Generic models Setting ?.. since 1.12.13.0 some users have issues with that. Described within existing “since 1.12.13.0” threads.

good luck

Yes I had turned off ‘only use generic models’ to see if there were any AI plane skins I wasnt seeing. Maybe that was the issue all along. Difficult to pin it down at the moment but if other people have had issues with that then that might be the culprit. Just glad to be able to fly again.

I used to have a set virtual memory but as someone else rightly said once you have it as a set size if you fill it up you might then have problems.

then possible for interesst :slight_smile:

I used to have virtual memory set to 3x my RAM actually, but I havent noticed any issues with it set to system managed. I think you might get a ltitle stutter now and then but that doesnt bother me as long as the game doesnt crash!

lot’s of users with 16Gig RAM run into CTD because the “system managed” give him not enough memory ( needed is 32Gig overall ).

Related to the link I mean the second part about the network relevant settings ( you see it only if you open the link ).

Well just got another crash on a completely unrelated flight with differnet plane etc. So none of the above helped me. From experience when I get CTD errors like this it is always an issue with the game code itself. I will try reducing the traffic etc but I am not confident I will end my CTD errors now until MS sort them out. They are obviously hitting a lot of people though so I am not alone.

If you didn’t notice above, I believe you should research the simconnect CTD issue.
It sounds very much like what you are experiencing.

hmm… but then he have to use one of the mentioned tools/apps:

I’m not good at explaining this myself, it’s something to do with calls made through simconnect to the sim. Here is a link to Pete& John Dawson’s FSUIPC7 forum when they first encountered this.
You will probably be able to understand the technical parts a lot better than me.

1 Like