CTD when clicking on "World Map" to start a flight because of weather preset: How to reset weather preset to default?

In the World Map, I changed the weather settings from “LIVE” to a preset (broken clouds). The software immediately crashed to desktop.

Now I am unable to start the software back up: Every time I enter World Map, it crashes to desktop immediately.

I assume I could prevent CTD by resetting weather options to LIVE (and, of course, never changing it again).

Can you please tell me how to do this? How do I reset weather options back to default (which I assume is “LIVE”)? Keep in mind I cannot enter the World Map screen without immediate crash.

Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder? If yes, please remove and retest before posting.
no

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
no

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

Are you on the Steam or Microsoft Store version?
Microsoft Store

Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #?
no

I don’t know the direct answer to your problem about how to change back to live weather. I’m not even sure that’s the cause of your issue.

But if you’re stuck to find an answer then I found the weather presets in “MicrosoftFlightSimulator\Packages\fs-base-spb\WeatherPresets”. So basically a suggestion could be to move one or all of the presets out of that folder and then try to restart the game. Maybe it will help.

Unfortunately, there is no such folder. Are you referring to
C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Official\OneStore?
(MS Store version)
In this folder, there are 299 sub-folders, but none is named “fs-base-spb”.

I am, however, absolutely certain this is the cause of error. It crashed when I tried to change the weather option in World Map and now, with the corrupt option set, its doesn’t let me go into World Map anymore; nothing else has changed.

Still, I can open all other sub-menus of MSFS without issues.I can even start a landing challenge and fly! Everything which doesn’t involve opening the World Map still works! This is crazy!

OK, I found a solution. In case others need it:

1. Instead of opening the World Map, start a landing challenge
  2. Quit the landing challenge.
  3. Go back to World Map. You should be able to change weather back to live weather now.
  4. Never ever change the weather option again… :confused:

Other things that may help (I tried multiple things at once so I’m not 100% sure what helped):

• Go into developer mode
  • Put the application into windowed mode (Alt +Enter)
  • Unplug the joystick

What didn’t help at all was cleaning the Community folder. The problem still existed with all addons removed.

(On a personal note, the level of frustration with this bug-ridden product is unreal. Planning something like spending a week of rainy holidays flying with MSFS is simply impossible; it can just decide to stop working from one moment to the next - see my post about another problem from just yesterday. …Sorry, had to put this out.)

1 Like