CTD when I switch/disconnect keyboard and/or mouse or USB device

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

Initially it was crashing when my wireless mouse went to sleep, I checked my energy options in Windows but they were already all set as suggested in this forum.
So I’m now forced to play with a wired mouse.

However, it is now happening again, this time because I’m now using a KVM to switch keyboard and audio between 2 PCs.
When I switch, there’s a 20-30% probability that the sim will freeze and then crash.

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID, Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

I don’t have error reporting on.
Here’s the log:

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.29.30.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.29.30.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0x80000003
Fault offset: 0x0000000001e69575
Faulting process id: 0x0x5B74
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1D92CA86B969BD8
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.29.30.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.29.30.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: 2dc0d67f-041d-4b63-bc2a-102c6da1aff4
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.29.30.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

I have this exact same problem as soon as i plug my phone into my computer.
Awful bug

I dont get CTD i get complete sim freeze

Same problem…2nd Monitor shutting down, wireless mouse going to sleep or replugging the external soundcard can all freeze the sim for some minutes.

Similar - I don’t get a CTD, but the whole sim freezes (doesn’t respond to input or update the display but sound continues). This has been happening to me since at least SU9 (when I started playing MSFS).

The sim freezes when connecting or disconnecting a USB input device (keyboard, mouse, Thrustmaster TCA). The sim freezes for at least a minute. Sometimes it comes back to life after 1-5 minutes, other times it freezes forever and I have to kill it in Task Manager.

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

As it doesn’t CTD, there is no fault report.

I am having this same issue with USB Devices (Keyboard/Mouse), Bluetooth headsets and monitor connections. Basically anytime I remove or reconnect pretty much any device while MSFS is running it will freeze. Sadly I cannot provide any fault ID because MSFS does not actually crash. It just locks up and you cannot do anything. An important note is that this happens at a bunch of places inside the simulator. I can replicate at the Menu and while flying. It is 100% guaranteed to crash.

This happens on 1.31.22.0 and 1.31.21.0 with all community mods removed. I have also tested the USB power settings found in another thread.

Hardware Specs:
Intel i5 13600k (MSI MAG B660 Tomahawk WiFi DDR4)
2TB NVMe (2TB WD SN770)
32GB of RAM

Video - at the 12 second mark I connected my Bluetooth headset:

Will not let me send video here…

I forgot to include my GPU. I am running an AMD RX 6700

I Had problem when my Logi Extreme 3D Pro Plugged (Its 2 Different crash) (MS Store)
Sometime There’s not fault bucket at all

Here’s My Fault Bucket
Fault bucket 1777997935109232455
Fault bucket 1443153528681255300

Game freezes (and not responding in task manager) when I connect/disconnect ANY devices (i.e. joystick, VR controller, turn off monitor etc)

i7 10700KF
3080FE
Reverb G2
TCA airbus sidestick, TCA boeing quadrant

Hi guys

same on the latest version 1.33.8.0 with all SU and AAU and WU installed. Haven’t been able to fly for a few months now, and though, it’s best to let the team know once again!

1 Like

Same problem here. Plugged in my HOTAS after starting the game and the game immediately closed.

BucketID: 1576602929808883725

Same, just plugged in some USB Headphones after my Bluetooth were running empty midflight → Freeze and CTD 20 seconds later. Really nice that its still happening after 3 years…

yes

The game freezes wghile on “hard pause” (pressing ESC) for a while, and I’m unable to continue my flight after this happens. The latest WU,AAU and City updates are installed.

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

I’m unable to provide a ID, as I’ve to close MSFS forcefully (Task Manager).

Is this topic dead? Im getting this again after SU13. It was fixed and as long as it ran in admin mode all was fine. Now after 13 every time I plug in or remove a USB it freezes. All my devices are powered through external USB hub and no powersaving is on. It’s a right pain in the backside if changing aircraft and throttles, esp for someone like me who Is streaming.

1 Like

This just happened to me just now. Really annoying. I forgot to plug in my microphone and yoke. Plugged them in and the sim froze and then CTD.

This issue was fixed on one sim update but… same here, since SU13 the game frezees when connecting a new device.

For example, I have an USB mouse, so when it turns off by itself when it isn’t used on 5-10 mins. If then I woke up the mouse MSFS freezees because it re-detects it.

SOOOOOoooo~~ 2024 and this issue is still here

Yes

The sim freezes for a split second if I plug in my iPad. I’ve not had it crash though.

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

I was searching for new information about this bug and… I found my same post from december.

What a mess of game! I’m tired that when my wireless devices go to sleep to save battery (example: mouse) the game frezees for undetermined amount of time (2 mins… 5 mins… 7 mins…) and then come back…

Unfortunately it seems there are not enough of us experiencing this freezing issue to bring it to MS/Asobo’s attention. I know from watching Twitch streamers that most people can just connect or disconnect devices as they need and the game just detects it instantly. I fear that now we just have to hope it will not exist in MSFS2024…

1 Like

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

No. I was having this issue before installing any marketplace addons.

Brief description of the issue:

If i launch MSFS with my headset and PS5 controller connected via USB, then they have to stay connected via USB. For example today, i had my Headset connected via USB and my PS5 controller via Bluetooth. My PS5 controller ran out of battery and so disconnected, totally freezing the sim. If i disconnect the USB cable from my headset, same thing, it freezes. I have to return the hardware to its original state (so if the headset was connected via USB then i’d have to reconnect the USB cable). If i don’t restore the hardware to it’s original state, MSFS does not resume. Just tested and this includes my wireless mouse, so it’s not audio or graphics related.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

N/A

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Start MSFS with headset connected via USB. Start a flight. Disconnect USB from headset and resort to wireless. Same vice versa and same for a PS5 controller.

Many issues may be due to an outdated graphics card. Please state your Graphics Card Driver Manufacturer (NVIDIA, Intel, AMD) and Version (Learn how to find your current graphics card driver version):

Nvidia, version 551.23

PC specs and peripheral set up:

AMD 5950X, asus crosshair viii formula, ASUS RTX 3090, 64GB DDR4 3600Mhz ram, 2x M.2 Drives. Corsair mouse, keyboard and headset (All wireless with USB Support), PS5 Controller.

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

Latest build.

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

FYI: Same issue it seems as SU10 Unplug USB, Freezing The Sim and CTD when I switch/disconnect keyboard and/or mouse or USB device - #9 by Darklight71 . But them posts are from 2022, and we’re still experiancing this issue.

Hello everyone!

I think it’s mainly because no sound device is connected to the PC or is set as the default. I suspect the same problem in connection with your PS5 controller, which also has a sound output.

I have a similar problem: my PC does not normally have an external audio device connected, but always has a headset. However, if the headset is not connected, I get a CTD after the first few seconds of MSFS starting up