CTD when looking around

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Brief description of the issue:

I had very few CTDs before SU8. Less than 1 per month. After SU8 I experienced CTDs almost every other day. They are not steadily reproducible, but they all happen in specific action.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

N/A

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

After SU8 I started to experience CTD quite often. And before SU8 it was very very rare. And they always happen in on of 2 situations:

Situation 1:
When I look left or right inside airplane. It can happen at the beginning of flight (e.g. checking flaps down in preflight), during flight (just looking around to navigate), or end of flight (looking at runway on downwind). It happens only with cockpit camera, not with external camera.
At first I thought it was caused by Motion Blur. I switched it off, but it didn’t help. So I switched it back on. Then I noticed that when I look right, it takes some time to generate objects in sight. So I changed setting “Off-screen terrain precaching” to Ultra. I guess this setting means that all objects are generated even, when not in sight. I use this setting for 1 week and I didn’t experience CTD in this situation since the new setting.

Situation 2:
In pre-flight cinematics. Sometime, when starting the game and loading at the airport, the game crashes, when pre-flight cinematic is presented.

Notes: CTDs are not reproducible. Loading at the same airport, it can CTD once in pre-flight cinematic, but not second time. The same with looking around. Game can crash, when I look left at runway on downwind, but not second time, when I repeat the same flight.
However, when CTD happens, it always happens in one of these situations. No other situation causes CTD for me.

I guess, the issue may be related to generating terrain objects. Either when spawning at an airport, when all objects must be generated. Or when looking around and generating objects in sight.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Dell Precision 5530 with external Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti.
Graphics settings in MSFS is set to Global Rendering Quality = High (except Off-screen terrain precaching = Ultra)

Theoretically, the problem may be with external graphics card. When loading new scene, it fails to push lot of data through Thunderbolt. Just a guess.

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

Started with SU8. Current version is 1.26.5.

Other details:
I fly 90% of time C172 classic. It happens for me always with this airplane. So it is hard to tell, if it is related to this airplane, or I just don’t spend enough time with other airplanes.

Notes to other simmers:
Check if your CTDs are related to the situation I described. Maybe change of Off-screen terrain precaching setting may help you.

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

You should check your Windows Event Viewer for crash logs, and include those details in a submission to Zendesk https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Windows error reporting typically submits application crash data to Microsoft (if the system is configured correctly), but the developers probably won’t be able to relate the issue to the cause, without extra help from you.

Thank you. I submitted it.

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Yes exactly same issue on RTX2080Super
Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Some time ago my external GPU died (maybe that was also part of the problem), so I did some upgrade. I replaced eGPU with new one and upgraded to RTX 3080 Ti. Since then I didn’t have any CTD. But still using Off-screen terrain precaching = Ultra.

Interestingly the difference in performance between 2080 Ti and 3080 Ti is almost 0, when measuring FPS. But 3080 Ti is much much cooler.

check that you have HAGS disabled … if enabled do some testcases with disabled HAGS ( where to find ).