Current GPU driver not recommended

This message has suddenly appeared when I start the simulator, it says I need to update to greater than 535.79.0
If I go into Device Manager, I can see I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti graphics card, and the driver is version 31.0.15.2849. If I select update driver, I get the message “Windows has determined the best driver for this device is already installed”.
Any ideas on what next?

I too have a 1080ti
I just ignored the requested to update and everything runs fine🤷‍♂️

I checked the NVidia web site, and saw that the latest version supported the 1080Ti, so I downloaded and installed it, the device manager reports it as 31.0.15.3598, although NVidia called it 535.98. Yet to fly with it, but it drives the display ok.

1 Like

Windows update is always behind what nvidia has on their website so always best to get it from there. You’ll notice the version numbers reported in windows have the same last 5 digits as the nvidia version numbers. I don’t know why they do that but it’s a way to check you have what you think you have.

Have since done a quick test flight, all ok including VR. Its a mystery why there are different displays of the same version number, maybe its no surprise that Windows Device Manager misses the updates.

Hello MostFormula6,

Thank you for your post! Your topic has been moved to a subcategory of General Discussion & Community Support. The General Discussion category is meant for discussions that fall outside of our other sub-categories.

Please check out these other categories for your future posts:

• Aircraft
    is where you discuss current or future planes coming to MSFS.
  • World
    is where you discuss scenery, airports, and weather.
  • Aviate, Navigate, Communicate
    is where you ask for help with flying.
  • Tech Talk
    is where you discuss installation, graphics, drivers, performance, CTDs, and hardware.
  • Menus & Activities
    is where you discuss activities (landing challenges, bush trips, etc), plus anything accessed by the menus including the Marketplace, settings, logbook, cameras, etc.
1 Like

Got a 3060Ti, running driver version 528.24. I’m pretty content with the status quo and I typically don’t fix something that isn’t broken. However, I do now wonder if I’m missing out on some improvements on FPS increases and/or image quality.

Thoughts on upgrading?

1 Like

How do you like the 3060ti. I got one recently and am happy with it.

it’s awesome for the price. Smokes any of the 2XXX series cards and gives some of the 3XXX’s a run as well.

1 Like

Same problem here, I have RTX2080 Super with 536.4 Nvidia driver installed which is the latest.

NVIDIA GeForce Game Ready Driver 536.40 Discussion - General Discussion & Community Support / Tech Talk - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Could this be the cause of CTDs? Ever since I started seeing this, my sim has experienced CTDs in a majority of my flights.

The part in bold italic is the driver version. You have version 535.98

Just got the message. What is the latest stable game ready driver recommended for MSFS 2020? FWIW, have 3080 mobile GPU.

It’s actually a funny question.

If you have a crash problem with your graphics driver, msfs asks you to read the zendesk ticket

In this ticket we notice the version of the recommended drivers

Download the latest drivers from your manufacturer’s website:
Nvidia : Recommended version: 526.98 release date 2022.11.16

But if you install this version, at the next launch MSFS informs you that the version is not recommended (therefore the ticket is not up to date…) and that you have to switch to 535.79.0

On the other hand if you are in 536.40 MSFS asks you to roll back in 536.23 …

So I imagine… that the latest recommended version (except in the zendesk ticket) is 536.23

i am now installing 536.23 and report back if i have issues