Danger of addiction with MSFS 2020?

I think you have more a chance becoming an IT Technician than a pilot having to troubleshoot the Sim so frequently :stuck_out_tongue: LOL. Before anyone gets all bent out of shape Iā€™m just cracking a joke!

2 Likes

Thatā€™s actually pretty cool! Iā€™d love to share it with my wife. She patiently listens to me going on and on about how amazed I am about it but I donā€™t think she watched more than 5 minutes of airplane flying on the computer in her whole life.
Flight simming seems to be largely a manā€™s hobby, so itā€™s great when more women do it! You might want to introduce her to AvAngel, one of the few female MSFS youtubers I know. Sheā€™s a real world pilot and publishes excellent bush flying and VFR plane reviews if thatā€™s your wifeā€™s thing.

3 Likes

Its great she involved in the hobby, but I will draw the Line if Julie starts to Learn airliners, and ding dong me for a Mealā€¦or a drinkā€¦at present she Loves GA.

1 Like

Talking of FS addictions. Woops-

1 Like

Not so much an addiction, as a diversionā€¦
I lost my wife of 33 years to cancer a while back, and this flight sim project, from building a computer system with my son, to reconstructing flights to some of our favorite placesā€¦ this piece of software has been a blessing.

I see a lot of comments from husbands about their wives, tolerating their obsession with this simā€¦
And to those husbands Iā€™d like to say thisā€¦ hit the pause key every once in a while, and seek out that wonderful wife, and give her a kissā€¦ for me (figuratively), because some of us canā€™t do that anymore.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Jim-Sim

18 Likes

Retired, single, affluent, nerd. Spend 5-7 hours every day in the simā€¦or outside watching YT video tutorials.

Kinda addicted, I think

at least you admit itā€¦ I was reluctant to admit my addiction at first.

now all we need to be able to do is link 2 joysticks with a captains priority button.

Acknowledging you have a problem is the first step. Well done.

Well, Bless your heart. I ā€œWillā€ take your advice. Blessings to you !

3 Likes

Sort of addicted, ya think ? Smile

Iā€™m wrestling with myself over whether or not to spend up large on an even bigger computer just so it runs that little bit better. I have no other use for the computer.

I think I have a problem.

2 Likes

There have been numerous studies done about the connection between video games and brain chemistry triggering dopamine or adrenaline. It is difficult to tell, at least for me, when an interest becomes a passion or then becomes an addiction. There are times when a CTD or a server issue or a messed up video driver makes me frustrated and upset. There are other times when I just turn the PC off and go do something else. I think I am on the border between passion and addiction.

One thing that has surprised me reading various topics is some userā€™s extremely strong reaction to MSFS breakage. Reactions range from ā€œIā€™m quitting MSFS and will be using flight simulator ABC,ā€ or ā€œA hotfix is needed now otherwise it remains unplayable.ā€ I think some people NEED their daily fix of MSFSā€¦ (Psst! Iā€™ve got a nice new shiny livery for you. Never been used. Wanna try it? Nah, you wonā€™t get hooked. Trust me!)

1 Like

Yep its the "fight or flight":rofl:

2 Likes

Itā€™s not addictiveā€¦ I can stop anytime I want.

I just donā€™t want to.

1 Like

I bet MS loves that cash cow !

This is special, especially in this season. Thank you for sharing and the reminder to remain grateful.

1 Like

Been simming for years on VATSIM and Iā€™ve pretty much flown everything payware and simming is pretty boring now. Only thing that will interest me would be proper weather depiction and avoidance hopefully with PMDG products that are coming. Might have to move onto space stuff for a challenge.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.