DarkSpace xEnviro 2020

a bit like this

It was supposed to be something like this.

What you’re showing is the haze dam being created by mountains.

There are entire threads going on in the forum about this issue of localized fog around every airport reporting low visibility. So no, what I’m reporting in my previous post is definitely not realistic.

On my end, I bought xEnviro because I was having it on XP11 and there was a nice coupon.
But I dont like the repetitive cloud and the weather is pretty different between Live weather from FS and live weather from xEnviro.
As it’s my home town, weather is definitly more accurate with the one from FS2020.
I should have same 20 bucks …

FS live weather (left) VS xEnviro (right) :

Same days, same time.

2 Likes

Typo : As it’s my home town (on the screenshot)
I should have SAVE 20 bucks …

2 Likes

The thing that killed it for me was during his stream, the clouds would “pop” out or pop in. He suggested this was just updating the weather data but this seems more of the weather changing to reflect the closest station. Again, very FSX standard and an issue that the previous weather engines and developers had to deal with a lot through cloud smoothing and weather transition rates.

6 Likes

The asking price blows my mind. This is something MSFS already does really well honestly. Like, stunningly well. Nothing is perfect but the live weather simulation is an achievement to be proud of. This product, which costs 2/3 the cost of the base sim itself, seems to be the same or worse by the accounts on this thread. Not sure how they can justify the pricing here. Sorry if that comes off as rude, but I just don’t get it. I’ll stick with MSFS live weather very happily.

13 Likes

I agree it’s a hard sell at that price and TBH I wouldn’t consider it without that $18 loyalty bonus. But one thing I can tell you, these guys know exactly how weather system should work given the weather depiction they have been able to achieve in XP11 inspite of all the limitations of that sim. I would actually want them to go one step ahead and do some magic to replace the MSFS’s default cloud textures, lighting, atmospherics etc. for anyone to take it seriously.

1 Like

You think that’s crazy, imagine that xEnviro was $70 when it came out for X-Plane D:

Why? IMO, MSFS has the best clouds among all home market flight simulators at the moment, including even the combat flight simulators. The next flight simulator with the best clouds is probably DCS World and even then, DCS World Clouds are not as good as MSFS clouds.

Please don’t tell me you want XP 12 cloud textures in MSFS. XP 12 clouds are super blurry and often have weird cloud shapes. I would uninstall MSFS if it had XP 12 clouds, that’s like going back 10 years in cloud rendering technology.

5 Likes

This is today default MSFS weather:

1 Like

Try xEnviro 1.17 for XP11 and you’ll see where I’m coming from.

I have seen xEnviro clouds for XP 11. They are nowhere close to the quality of MSFS clouds.

2 Likes

Well then that’s entirely your personal opinion and I can’t blame you for that. I find xEnviro 1.17 much more authentic with realistic cloud scale, in cloud effects, haze and visibility depiction, better atmospheric lighting… (i could go on and on :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Wow that sounds interesting! A new weather engine!

Just to be clear… v1.17 is for XP11

Anybody knows if Xenviro MSFS 2020 adds convective and dangers in Thunderstorm (updraft/downdraft) like it does on XP1?

I’ve read that on the list it says “Turbulence in Clouds” so by extension I’m wondering if it makes a change in dark cells CB/TS?

Thank you for your enlightment :wink:

As a user of xEnviro in X-plane, I thought I would give XE 2020 a shot since it was offered at a discount to former customers. The latest version of xEnviro (1.17) looks pretty good in X-plane 11 (IMHO much better than the clouds and atmosphere as a whole in X-plane 12 Beta). But from what I’ve observed after a couple of flights in MSFS, I’m sticking with default MSFS weather. When using XE 2020 clouds are constantly appearing and disappearing and the entire sky looks essentially the same, just like with other metar-only based solutions. I have yet to see any weather fronts or distant buildups like with the default MSFS system. I’m not impressed with it in its current form.

6 Likes

Thanks for reporting back and sharing your experiences, fellow simmers.

Called it out of the gate. Watched the first livestream featuring it by Q8pilot and the moment he had a slideshow of clouds popping in and out, game, set, match. As my first reply to this topic: Unless you’ve managed to secure a service similar to MB then it’s just a revamped ASN, REX, OPUSFSI. Sure the depiction in some cases may be better or feel more to life from what the MSFS engine is giving ATT. However, it doesn’t have 6 hours of data to roll through before needing to be “refreshed”, nor is its data predicted, it’s constantly snapped to what is now, which creates these immersion killers.

2 Likes

I regret that this product is really not worth 42 US dollars. Although I bought XE on the XP’s official website, because I replaced the store, the discount will not be used.
Compared to MSFS Default and Rex, XE2020 did not give people a stunning feeling, and even the weather data of many airports did not even lag. When you fly to your destination airport, the weather here may be a few hours ago or yesterday.
When you buy it, it is best to think about whether your needs for the weather can be satisfied. If it is just to beautify the clouds and real -time weather, MSFS has done it.
I am not publishing anger, but I just objectively evaluate this product. If you like it, please do not sting your budget.
I wish you a good time!

1 Like