DC Designs F-14A/B Tomcat Announcement & Discussion

This post is not asking for support, it’s just a question for the group.

Has anyone noticed a serious problem with the F-14 from justflights after the MSFS update? I can not finish a flight without problems.

In photo 1 you can see the problem start and in photo 2 you can see what happened when I turned off the engines and avionics.It started to return to normal.

Note: package temps very erratic during the flight. Deleted the F14 from justflights and installed the marketplace version. Now testing. Update: Package temps of the marketplcae F14 seems to be more stable.

Update: I think this proves it. MSFS stock aircraft in flight for almost 3 hours with no problems. Package temps stable.

Update: Just completed a flight in the marketplace F-14. At times package temps hit 85C

Note: I LOVE!! the DC Designs F-14 and do not blame DC Designs for this problem. I blame the MSFS update. Wish I could rollback the MSFS update.

1 Like

I feel that all DC Design planes are really taxing my system, i dont know whats going on.

1 Like

Does anyone else have the crew disappear from the outside view whenever the parking brake is released?

Life goal right there!!!:upside_down_face::saluting_face::melting_face::metal:t3::+1:t3:

F14 is the only aircraft I’ve noticed my system running a bit glitchy with not checked any stats but I’ll agree the f14 makes my system run worse for some reason.

Hopefully a bug DC can sort out :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Have you made sure everything is up to date? I was having FPS issues with the F-16 but the latest update has fixed things and its performing well again.

I came to do my first flight in the DC F14B only day before yesterday. But one hint I would like to give the programmers from DC:

Like many others I am flying VR. And like many more, I’m right handed. Which means:

• Using HOTAS I can operate all switches on throttle and stick without seeing them in RL
  • Being right handed the mouse is on a pad to my right
  • To operate the mouse in order to flip a switch in the cockpit I have to let go of the stick

In other words: If I cannot assign important switch functions to switches on the throttle or the switch board above, I’m inevitably getting in trouble at take off and landing. Targetting the flight deck of a carrier is just not the right moment to let go of a stick and do a nose dive in order to flip a crucial switch by mouse, which a real pilot due to the cockpit arrangement operates with the left hand. For a reason.

Therefore: A key binding table and method is a must! Use the HYPE H145 as an example on how it is supposed to be done. Please!

2 Likes

Flight simming is probably the only reason I’m thankful for being left handed. Mouse on the left and stick on the right. For every other aspect of life being left handed is such a drag lol

1 Like

I have almost all of my switchs mapped. The ones that do not seem to work are the
GPS-Nav: but thats no big deal for me as I only fly VOR - VOR now

Alt hold: No big deal for me as I set it before I leave the ground.

Heading hold: no big deal for me as I’m flight stable above 10K before I turn on the AP and then switch on the heading hold.

ILS: switch not a big deal but would be nice if I could map it.

IAS: I can map IAS but I need to use the mouse to turn it on/off once before mapping will work.

Would love to have the wing sweep switch back.

For me mapping my switchs is a must in VR as I’m prone to motion sickness and I do not want to move my head too much.

I LOVE!! the DC Designs F-14 and hope the version from Justflight will be stable soon.

1 Like

Anyone else have the Thrustmaster flight stick and if so, do you find that it sticks? I’m thinking about useing some WD40 on my Thrustmaster to smooth it out.

2 Likes

There are no switches that require moving during the landing phase, and those that are such as DLC should be set when downwind. Likewise, if your airplane is trimmed correctly, there is no need to worry about taking your hand off the stick - real pilots swap hands routinely during all phases of flight to perform such duties.

Switches such as DLC, cannot be bound in MSFS as they’re custom-coded, so no binds exist for them. Only stock switches in the sim can be bound to buttons. That’s why DLC now engages automatically when the gear is down, to save you the trouble.

5 Likes

I want the F/A-18 version SOOO BAD. Sadly I play on the xbox

3 Likes

If you search on google or whatever for ‘Thrustmaster Warthog stiction’ you’ll find a ton of forum posts around the web with people complaining about the issue and a load of solutions. I used the Warthog stick for many years until it died on me and I replaced it with something else and I only ever had minor stiction issues with it. I did have a little custom dust shield thing which covered the joint where the stick attaches to the gimbal to prevent dust and other stuff getting to the gimbal which probably helped as well.

Also don’t use WD-40 on it as it’s not an ideal lubricant to be using on plastics (the warthog gimbal is plastic) and also wtih circuitry nearby it could mess with that. Nyogel 767a is the lubricant I always saw recommended and if you do use that make sure you clean the old lube off first.

1 Like

Thank you for that advice. I just added the Nyogel 767 to my shopping cart.

• Main uses include Joysticks, Microscopes, Telescopes, Binoculars, Tripods and HOTAS

That was perfect. Thanks agin. :grinning:

1 Like

Hi!
Real pilots have a center stick. Typical sim setting is quite different. So swapping hands on stick requires kind of advanced gymnastics. And when assigning a function to an unused feature, e.g. „magneto4“ assignment within MSFS is easy. So, it could be done! :wink:

In the meantime I rely on Lorby‘s AAO. Not so elegant, but a workaround.

A “magneto” is a stock animation. A custom “LVar” animation cannot be bound as it is entirely a custom feature. So, it in fact cannot be done.

I fly in VR all the time, and swap hands / use the keyboard with my right hand all the time. As I said, if you’re landing, there is no need to move any switches.

Please refer any further comments to our Discord channel as we cannot offer support here. Thanks.

2 Likes

another update making the great aircraft even better. and enjoying the FLIR in the bad weather.
As the F 14 was a very rare bird on the airshow circuit with the camo schemes part of me keeps thinking to the aircraft the tomcat “replaced” the F 111. that was an air show favourite. deano has the aardvark ever cross your mind?

6 Likes

After watching a BUNCH!!! of Youtube videos, updating my BIOS, I’m now playing with core voltage offset to see if it helps. As I was typing this the -0120 V setting crashed. :frowning:
But at least I got a nice pic in first. lol

Finally!!
Just completed my first flight in the F-14 from Justflight without any stuttering or MSFS crash. :sunglasses:

Had to lower my core voltage offset to -090. Lets hope she remains stable.

3 Likes

Was it running overclocked before? Just wondering why you’d have to potentially reduce pc performance for stability using this aircraft?

I’ve definitely noticed it runs glitchy sometimes compared to any others I’ve flown but leaving that to the devs to improve it.