DC Designs F-14A/B Tomcat Announcement & Discussion

I got some bounce. Touched down at around 180. I was able to manage it, but it seems to be more than usual. I’ll need to test more.

Approach speed changes based on weight and configuration. Use the AoA indexer on the left side of the forward windscreen. Move the nose in the direction the arrow points until the circle appears on the indexer. When that happens, you’re on ref for the appropriate weight and configuration.

3 Likes

that’s exactly what I encountered, a bit of manageable bounce, not affected landing and stopping but it feels like the plane is too light or something

1 Like

I can typically do it at 180 smoothly with my stick. 120 would be tough for me. Too slow.

Yep. It almost wanted to float a bit once it bounced. Fun times, but I made it work. I can’t say that anything’s different with only one landing. I’ll get a few more in in the next 12 hours or so before making a call on it.

Ok everybody, post your performance figures so far.
F14A
I’m currently achieving Mach 2.226, FL460, 1259 GS or 2,331.6Km/h over China. She might be old but ■■■■ I’m impressed I got her this fast.
Haven’t tried the B variant yet so maybe she’ll go even faster?

1 Like

2.38 is the official top speed for f-14B at 45000ft, but you should be able to exceed it a bit.

In A is around mach 2.25-2.28 according the flight envelope:

1 Like

Hi guys, aside from the trolls, a lot of good info here. So much that I have to apologize for asking my question if it has already been addressed.

If I buy DC Designs F14 add-on in the marketplace for Xbox, does it include the rights to use the add-on for PC? Vice-versa?

Are the purchasing rules between platforms the same for the DC Designs F15 package? Thanks in advance!

P.S - Dean, trolls are jealous because your initials are 2/3 of their beloved platform. Isn’t there a DCS forum somewhere? Ha!

2 Likes

So I got within only a moment away from it’s limit. If only wasn’t battling a slight headwind perhaps. I got it to FL500 very slowly, she absolutely hates it that far up, punched it full afterburner and I couldn’t crack through the sound barrier, like it was exhausted of power. I then dropped to 48, same thing, then dropped to 46 then it suddenly found it’s power again. The Mach Tuck effect is very dramatic at that Altitude, DC Designs have done amazing with this.

2 Likes

If you buy my aircraft on the Marketplace, you’ll automatically own them on both PC and Xbox :+1:

Folks, for landings, like all aircraft the F-14 must be at or below it’s maximum landing weight. I’ve seen a few mentions of people landing with full fuel, full weapons etc - this never happens in real life and would indeed cause a “bounce”. In addition, naval aircraft never flare on landing - AoA green circle all the way down and thump it onto the runway, it’s what they’re for :slight_smile:

F-14 should be below 50,000lbs weight at landing, fuel around 5,000lbs or less, full flaps, DLC engaged. On green light AoA you should see anywhere between 115 and 130 knots depending on weight. She lands really well and is highly controllable at that weight.

Great to see you all enjoying the aircraft and finding out how best to fly them, love it :slight_smile:

13 Likes

O, great info, I never know that being too heavy would cause a bounce! the AOA green circle should be the one on left side of the HUD?

and one more dumb question:

I know you guys said this isn’t a study level aircraft, but beside weapon system prohibited, and the unrealistic internal battery power added instead of the real thing having the power switch needed external power, what else isn’t study level for this sake? maybe the Auto pilot route (GPS) mode isn’t in the real thing?

The battery was only included as ground power isn’t available at most airfields in MSFS. The autopilot was general customer requests for a full AP - most fighters only have 3-axis AP and sometimes auto-throttle.

Below is the full description on the Just Flight website of the aircraft’s systems etc, and there are lots of You Tube videos, so you can get an idea of what it’s like before buying.

Fully native MSFS aircraft

• All models have been coded with Microsoft Flight Simulator native ‘Model Behaviors’ animations and built to MSFS operational specifications to prevent issues with future simulator upgrades.
  • All custom cockpit instruments and screens are coded in HTML for native, high-performance display in MSFS
  • The Tomcats make use of the new simulator’s features such as effects and sounds, fully reflective glass, native aerodynamic sound structures, the new ‘Modern’ aerodynamics system with the ability to provoke ‘departure spins’, and customised visibility controls for wheel chocks, covers, tie-down chains and GPU
  • The Tomcats also contain custom-built and animated effects such as afterburners
  • Full compressor-stall engine modelling and coding for the F-14A TF-30 engines
  • Other features include authentic cockpit night lighting with brightness controls, which includes user-operated ‘slime lights’ for combat operations, and custom-coded manoeuvring flaps, slats and intake ramps, all based on aircraft airspeed and angle of attack
  • Numerous external animations including canopy, crew ladders, tail hook and control surfaces
  • The F-14 Tomcats are fully compliant with Virtual Reality headsets
  • Full custom sound sets for both the TF-30-powered F-14A Tomcat and the GE-F110-powered F-14B Tomcat

Cockpit

• Truly 3D virtual cockpits featuring accurately modelled ejector seats, controls and detailed texturing
  • All analogue instruments constructed in 3D with smooth animations
  • Reflective rear-view mirrors
  • ‘Scratched canopy’ glass effects, reflective glass, icing and rain effects
  • Crew figures in the virtual cockpit are coded to disappear when you occupy their seats
  • Front and rear cockpit positions included in both variants
  • Fully customisable crew helmets, names, flight suit patches and even faces

Aircraft systems

• 3D modelled dials, ADI, ‘whiskey’ compass and other high-detail instruments designed to emulate the appearance of the real F-14 Tomcat
  • Display screens with visual layouts based on the real aircraft’s systems (within the confines of MSFS’ current capability)
  • Head-Up Display with authentic layout based on the real F-14A
  • Custom-coded, user-controlled ordnance via the simulator Payload Manager, allowing for live mounting of weapons on hardpoints with active weight increase
  • F-14 Tomcat systems include Direct Lift Control, CADC and basic ACLS
  • The aircraft are compatible with the Hard Deck Simulations Aircraft Carrier Module

Paint schemes

F-14A

• VF-1 Wolfpack
  • VF-41 Black Aces
  • VF-84 Jolly Rogers
  • VF-142 Ghostriders

F-14B

• VF-143 Pukin’ Dogs
  • VF-32 Swordsmen
  • VF-213 Black Lions

A Paint Kit is also provided.

Manual

A full operations manual is included in the software and you can also download it here.

DC Designs’ F-14 Tomcat is designed to provide a top-quality aircraft that is extremely detailed, yet less demanding to fly than today’s most complex procedural simulators. Equipped with all required avionics, and with custom-coded animations and systems, the DC Designs F-14 Tomcat is designed to be accessible to all users without the need for intense study.

3 Likes

yea I read that before buying and enjoyed the plane, just wonders beside those few points what’s not study level in it as it feels to me very near study level already with all those speed and lift limits having proper documentations from you guys

Oh I see. Well, most of what’s missing is combat systems related ( weapons, radar, and more complex stuff like fuel management, emergency systems, failures etc ). I don’t include the stuff that I think will get in the way of entertainment for the casual user, basically.

3 Likes

ic, but personally I have a feel that fuel management could be fun at times, with default fuel management being current one but can optional alter for more fun? weapons seems like banned now in MSFS, so if topgun DLC is out maybe worth adding back effects for fun. radar is basically useless in MSFS now as you don’t have target to aim and no mid air collision possible

one thing seems fun for me is the eject system! if possible to say stupidly eject in the city to parachute down could be fun.

these BS aside it seems confirming what I felt, it’s not full study level, but the aerodynamics and startup etc are quite study level already, maybe I can call it kind of like FBW A32NX level, easy enough for causal player, but complicated or “study level” enough to make it feels like flying the real thing with limited systems and not some crazy makeup money grabbing addon

Just had my update email.

Im happy with these ‘nice to haves’ :slight_smile:

v1.0.1

• Added tire smoke effects

• Spoiler “IN” / “DN” indicator not displaying correctly

5 Likes

Same here. It arrived shortly before I woke up this morning (5:58am CDT). Will be downloading and installing ASAP tonight after work. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Didn’t fix the right hand rear formation light:( Still not lit
But a wonderful plane:)

1 Like

You’re right, it got missed. Put it on for next update. So many things to remember, even when I write them down I forget…

5 Likes

Hello,
first of all grats to the devs for the great addon! :smiley:

I am encountering a problem after downloading v1.0.1: neither the COM or NAV displays are working. They are stuck at 124.85 (COM) and 110.5 (NAV). Even rotating the knobs no changes are made to the stand-by frequencies. Am I doing something wrong? Many thanks for support and clear skyes all!